Is climate change a fraud?

Banker

3 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

So there's no pollution producing the hardware i.e. the steel, electronics and transport and installation of the heating method, the method of producing the electricity and the hardware to do it and the transport to the site and the machines used building it and the short lifespan of the hardware, compared to say, my wood burner which is nearly 30 years old and still going strong?........just asking.

You might be on borrowed time...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1629751/log-burner-ban-wood-smoke-air-pollution-mums-for-lungs-defra

Just now, SleepyJoe said:

What electrical infrastructure improvements are required to support a move away from gas for home heating?

At an (educated) guess 100% of the islands network, these things start at 12KW and go up to 30KW and beyond!

There are still plenty of places on the island where if one person switches on a heavy appliance all their neighbours lights dim!

46 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

There is a critical point where insulation becomes more expensive than heat. Yes you are right in theory. There are passive houses that need no heat at all but they take some building. The insulation is so good that the house is heated by the persons and appliances in them.

However the price of insulation rises exponentially, therefore there is a sweet spot where modest heat capacity twinned with the right level of insulation is the most economic?.

As I said above, we don't live in a cold country. The house I live in is about 50 years old. It has never had central heating. I put insulation in the loft and had double glazing installed. The house is south facing with large windows. Even on the coldest of winter mornings it never gets below 12 degrees inside, usually a good bit warmer. Two electric radiators and the windows soon heat the whole house up to 18-20 at a cost of about 50P per hour. They are on for about 5 hours a day, when required. They are only needed from mid November to the end of March. My winter electric bills are about £150 more than my summer bills. So heating costs me about £300 a year. 

Edited by Cambon
  • Like 1

None of that stops anyone from  installing one though, does it?

15 minutes ago, finlo said:

At an (educated) guess 100% of the islands network, these things start at 12KW and go up to 30KW and beyond!

There are still plenty of places on the island where if one person switches on a heavy appliance all their neighbours lights dim!

Just now, Cambon said:

As I said above, we don't live in a cold country. The house I live in is about 50 years old. It has never had central heating. I put insulation in the loft and had double glazing installed. The house is south facing with large windows. Even on the coldest of winter days, it never gets below 12 degrees. Two electric radiators and the windows soon heat the whole house up to 18-20 at a cost of about 50P per hour. They are on for about 5 hours a day, when required. They are only needed from mid November to the end of March. My winter electric bills are about £150 more than my summer bills. So heating costs me about £300 a year. 

Yes I know a few people who have removed their central heating and just use electric radiators or heaters. Much cheaper and ecologically beneficial. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I'm already on borrowed time at 75 so I don't care. There are many other things that should be altered in the world before a small group of 80,000 folk with no heavy industries and virtually no effect on the polluted world needs to take action.

Heavy industry, Putin and other war mongers, vehicles used for show, image or competition and wasteful feel good attempts to prove your green credentials are a few that come to mind.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, finlo said:

Makes an Energy Transition Plan all the more urgent

• Thanks 1

I use oil filled radiators sometimes when I just need heat in a couple of rooms but my electric bill has dramatically increased to what it was 12 months ago and with two more rises coming I have rethought this action and am using my multi fuel stove again or will be when the weather gets cold.   My main oil fired central heating is just used for hot water and the odd hour to heat the house through when it gets really cold.   There is no way out of this predicament and unless you are dealing with a new build insulation,apart from double glazing and loft insulation, will not be effective and very expensive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I use oil filled radiators sometimes when I just need heat in a couple of rooms but my electric bill has dramatically increased to what it was 12 months ago and with two more rises coming I have rethought this action and am using my multi fuel stove again or will be when the weather gets cold.   My main oil fired central heating is just used for hot water and the odd hour to heat the house through when it gets really cold.   There is no way out of this predicament and unless you are dealing with a new build insulation,apart from double glazing and loft insulation, will not be effective and very expensive.

Try telling daft Daffers that!

• Thanks 2

You are comparing apples and pears bringing population numbers into it a typical accountants trick moving the goal posts to prove a point.   India and China because of their industrial footprints as countries contribute far more crap into the atmosphere than anyone else.   England would have worn this crown in the days of the industrial revolution but now these countries have taken all the trade away with their cheap and shoddy merchandise and the amount of factories in England are minimal.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Finlo, Daffers can get stuffed as far as I am concerned I am not on 50 plus thousand a year and by the time all these regulations come into force I will be but a little puff of smoke ascending from the crematorium’s chimney if they haven’t stopped the burning as it pollutes the atmosphere…ashes to ashes that is what the good book says. 🤣  I just hope I can keep my sense of humour in the dark days ahead that is the only thing that will be left….

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Raffles said:

Yes I know a few people who have removed their central heating and just use electric radiators or heaters. Much cheaper and ecologically beneficial. 

I'm not sure how that is cheaper. Isn't it cheaper to use central heating but turn off all the radiators bar the room you are in.