Is climate change a fraud?

Banker

11 hours ago, finlo said:

At an (educated) guess 100% of the islands network, these things start at 12KW and go up to 30KW and beyond!

There are still plenty of places on the island where if one person switches on a heavy appliance all their neighbours lights dim!

You have to understand that 12 to 30kw is the power output and not the power drawn. With a heatpump you gat up to 3.5 times out more than you put in so divide those numbers by 3.5. 

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not sure how that is cheaper. Isn't it cheaper to use central heating but turn off all the radiators bar the room you are in. 

They are storage heaters so they draw electric during the night when it is cheaper and are very efficient to run.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Anyone tried infrared room heaters?

Yes. Crap. They heat you but not the room, which sounds a good idea. But they also blind you and are uncomfortable to sit by. You end up glowing on the outside but feel cold on the inside.

Good idea? Well they haven't taken off which usually tells you something

Just now, Roxanne said:

I am also considering the possibility of an electric blanket for winter. The only thing is that it’s only freezing for the first couple of minutes jumping in and then after that it soon warms up. Seems like a bit of a waste of leccy just for two minutes of bliss  

And yet…

Wi-Fi timer maybe?

13 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Well that’s all very fancy but I was just thinking of turning it on and off. :)

Well, get a simple automatic timer thingy or an on/off switch you can control from your phone.

Amazon Basics Energy-Saving Weekly Mechanical Segment Timer Plug

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I am also considering the possibility of an electric blanket for winter. The only thing is that it’s only freezing for the first couple of minutes jumping in and then after that it soon warms up. Seems like a bit of a waste of leccy just for two minutes of bliss  

And yet…

They usually have a thermostat and are only 200w anyway, so very economical

On 6/26/2022 at 2:02 PM, Happier diner said:

We have one neighbour that burns stuff constantly, log burner in the winter, chimnea in the summer so we can’t leave our windows open or put washing out as it just stinks of smoke, it makes a nice summer evening in the garden near impossible and for good measure they smoke cigarettes too.

I’d love to see a ban on folks burning stuff in their garden, I don’t mind the smell of BBQs and to be fair I don’t really mind the smell of cigarettes but the wood or whatever is burnt in the garden is bloody horrible, it just swirls around everywhere in the wind and gives me a barking cough.

7 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

We have one neighbour that burns stuff constantly, log burner in the winter, chimnea in the summer so we can’t leave our windows open or put washing out as it just stinks of smoke, it makes a nice summer evening in the garden near impossible and for good measure they smoke cigarettes too.

I’d love to see a ban on folks burning stuff in their garden, I don’t mind the smell of BBQs and to be fair I don’t really mind the smell of cigarettes but the wood or whatever is burnt in the garden is bloody horrible, it just swirls around everywhere in the wind and gives me a barking cough.

Report them. Its illegal to burn waste material in your garden. You can burn fuel (bought logs, charcoal etc) but waste wood, no

14 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You have to understand that 12 to 30kw is the power output and not the power drawn. With a heatpump you gat up to 3.5 times out more than you put in so divide those numbers by 3.5. 

I was talking about electric combi boilers not heat pumps.