Is climate change a fraud?

Banker

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

A timer you say? In two hour increments? Does that mean it goes on when you’re in bed? My mum and dad’s electric blanket went on fire on New Year’s Eve when I was about nine so I’m a bit nervous about being in bed when it’s on. Is it safe nowadays? 

You switch it on just before you crawl in, it takes about 5 min to warm up and then switches itself off after 2 hours...by that time you're toasty and asleep.

All that energy saved and you can still scrape the ice off the inside of your windows in the morning for your chilled grapefruit 😂

• Haha 1

One of the things I miss about childhood is jumping, very quickly, into a cold bed, knowing that it will be a shock to the system. Then, waking up in the morning knowing you have to do the exact thing in reverse to get out of bed. 

There used to be a long running thread on here about those little treats, and the first sleep in clean sheets came out on top.  Sod cleanliness, I don't want sheets that give you an ice burn!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I am also considering the possibility of an electric blanket for winter. The only thing is that it’s only freezing for the first couple of minutes jumping in and then after that it soon warms up. Seems like a bit of a waste of leccy just for two minutes of bliss  

And yet…

Sod all that, just snuggle up to the woman you love

Genuine question if we have any experts on this.

We're all told that there's only c.10 years before the Pulrose gas generator plant gets to 'end of life' and has to be replaced, but I've spoken to a few people now who say it could go on indefinitely if it is properly maintained (new big end bearings and piston rings kinda thing).

I suspect we're too quick to allow people to scrap infrastructure so they can buy a shiny new thing, and that the climate emergency lobby would prefer to propagate the story that 'we have to do something now and gas isn't the answer'.

Yes, I could ask the MUA, but wonder if we have any deep throat sources at the coal face (so to speak)?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On exactly the same basis I am running my old diesel Berlingo into the ground. It may use diesel which kills children and destroys the climate for generations to come. But any replacement would be expensive and use loads of carbon to make. 

In due course I will have a better idea of what to replace it with.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

We're all told that there's only c.10 years before the Pulrose gas generator plant gets to 'end of life' and has to be replaced, but I've spoken to a few people now who say it could go on indefinitely if it is properly maintained (new big end bearings and piston rings kinda thing).

I suspect we're too quick to allow people to scrap infrastructure so they can buy a shiny new thing, and that the climate emergency lobby would prefer to propagate the story that 'we have to do something now and gas isn't the answer'.

Yes, I could ask the MUA, but wonder if we have any deep throat sources at the coal face (so to speak)?

Wasn't the gas plant recently serviced? Seem to remember something about needing experts from America, but that it was done and was being well maintained.

13 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Pulrose could be good for another 20 years at least  and these days gas  fired turbines  are leased , exactly as they do in the airline industry ,but not being exposed to the elements and running on clean gas their lifetime is surely extended , 

the rest of the power station  is the distribution   network  and I guess thats good for many more years yet , 

Get another cable across from the UK  powered by energy from  nuclear or wind , then we tick a lot of boxes  and significantly reduce our energy carbon footprint overnight ,

few small wind farms  in out of the way places locally and were set up  for the next  big  transition  in energy generation 

we don't need to be the world leaders in all this  just sit quiet and watch what the smart people are doing , and if its cost effective and works for the Isle of Man  then  adopt  the same policy  O'h and get rid of Callister !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

We're all told that there's only c.10 years before the Pulrose gas generator plant gets to 'end of life' and has to be replaced,

Do you have the origin of this comment? Superficially the power station consists of a building, a gas turbine engine, and an electrical generator.

The turbine engines can be replaced as can the electrical generators.  "End of life" might just mean that one component has reached the end of its expected working life and has to be replaced.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I suspect we're too quick to allow people to scrap infrastructure so they can buy a shiny new thing

A little like scoreboards and TT Grandstands...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1