Is climate change a fraud?

Banker

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

Genuine question if we have any experts on this.

We're all told that there's only c.10 years before the Pulrose gas generator plant gets to 'end of life' and has to be replaced, but I've spoken to a few people now who say it could go on indefinitely if it is properly maintained (new big end bearings and piston rings kinda thing).

I suspect we're too quick to allow people to scrap infrastructure so they can buy a shiny new thing, and that the climate emergency lobby would prefer to propagate the story that 'we have to do something now and gas isn't the answer'.

Yes, I could ask the MUA, but wonder if we have any deep throat sources at the coal face (so to speak)?

It uses a version of the Jumbo jet engine so unlikely to become scarce anytime soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 5:12 PM, Stu Peters said:

We're all told that there's only c.10 years before the Pulrose gas generator plant gets to 'end of life' and has to be replaced, but I've spoken to a few people now who say it could go on indefinitely if it is properly maintained (new big end bearings and piston rings kinda thing).

I suspect we're too quick to allow people to scrap infrastructure so they can buy a shiny new thing, and that the climate emergency lobby would prefer to propagate the story that 'we have to do something now and gas isn't the answer'.

Yes, I could ask the MUA, but wonder if we have any deep throat sources at the coal face (so to speak)?

My view we need local consensus on a generational Energy Transition plan to accommodate commitment to Net Zero by 2035 & prevention of fuel poverty for half the Island's population in the immediate future

Perhaps CM Cannan will address the issue in his September 'One Government' conference

38 minutes ago, HeliX said:

"Who cares if Miami is six metres underwater in 100 years? Amsterdam has been six metres underwater for ages and that's a really nice place."

Pretty much sums up investment bankers for you doesn't it.

Well, it depends on where cities are built and what they are built on. I recall that Cape Canaveral was once a mosquito-infested swamp.

This quote concerning Miami comes from a Google search:

"In the 1920’s, Carl Fisher was a famous entrepreneur and recognized Miami’s potential as a vacation hotspot. He dredged sand and filled swamps to develop what we know as Miami Beach today. Fisher Island was named after him (he once owned it).

They make it sound very positive here, but I first learned of him in an Environmental Catastrophes class."

Similarly, if you build a house on a flood plain, now and again it will get flooded.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, HeliX said:

"Who cares if Miami is six metres underwater in 100 years? Amsterdam has been six metres underwater for ages and that's a really nice place."

Pretty much sums up investment bankers for you doesn't it.

add also that the majority of banks refuse to go paperless yet continually crow about how green they are...

10 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

add also that the majority of banks refuse to go paperless yet continually crow about how green they are...

I'm with NatWest, 100% paperless. You just have to tick the boxes.

4 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

I'm with NatWest, 100% paperless. You just have to tick the boxes.

Can't fault the mobile phone banking services I receive from NW. Emails answered within 15 mins, polite and knowledgeable staff, quicker than getting in the car, parking-up and visiting the branch. 

1 minute ago, quilp said:

Can't fault the mobile phone banking services I receive from NW. Emails answered within 15 mins, polite and knowledgeable staff, quicker than getting in the car, parking-up and visiting the branch. 

Yup, NatWest Falmouth is closing - even the wrinklies use their phones for banking. Haven't had to go to a bank for seven years. Use the App for the occasional cheques I receive. Bank software is good, the free online accounting software superb.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

I deal with Barclays / RBSI and they definitely are not paperless

I tried to invest £500k with Barclays in Douglas ~11 years ago. Failed to even get in through the front door. Useless.

Edited by GD4ELI
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 5:12 PM, Stu Peters said:

A friend who works for MUA told me that the plan is to lay cables to uk and buy electricity from them, while keeping local generators ticking over as contingency. This makes sense as a fair bit of uk electricity is now nuclear or renewable. 

It also makes sense because the uk chancellor has been printing money to subsidise wind farms etc. When money is printed, it devalues the currency. In this case the pound. Our pound. Indirectly, we are already paying for "green ambitions" via the Bank of England. 

12 minutes ago, Cambon said:

A friend who works for MUA told me that the plan is to lay cables to uk and buy electricity from them, while keeping local generators ticking over as contingency. This makes sense as a fair bit of uk electricity is now nuclear or renewable. 

It also makes sense because the uk chancellor has been printing money to subsidise wind farms etc. When money is printed, it devalues the currency. In this case the pound. Our pound. Indirectly, we are already paying for "green ambitions" via the Bank of England. 

Buying from UK makes a lot of sense. We can always pull the plug on you if we want.

• Haha 1