Is climate change a fraud?

Banker

1 hour ago, HiVibes said:

Stu Peters is Robertshaw's stooge, probably on a promise if he helps get Crogga through, either that or he truly is a dumb ass.

I can confirm I'm on no 'promise' from anyone connected to Crogga. And if having a different opinion to you makes me a dumb ass, so mote it be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Huge, indiscriminate  usage of pesticides and herbicides have greatly contributed to the loss of insects.

Onchan  Commisioners were today mowing the meadow area in Port Jack Glen which was full of wild flowers and therefore insects. It should have been left to allow the flowers to seed.

I live next to a golf course, an environmental disaster. Mowed all over, even where the ball is never played.

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

The earthworms have all but gone now too. I can’t remember the last time I saw one. It used to be that every shovel turned would bring them up but now, they seem to have disappeared. I liked them too. 

You used to eat them?

Science and scientists have known since the 1970s that the climate was changing with varying degrees of adverse consequences for life in every form on the planet, human and non-human (the evidence of the climate change and its causes had been presented to the UN multiple times).

Unhappily (for all of us) the scientists were pressured to ‘keep shtum’ by big ugly money-grabbing polluters. Therefore, I hope that it will only be a matter of time before the fossil fuel companies will face lawsuits against them, which should be even more explosive than the ciggies/ tobacco industry scandal. And rightfully so – rising sea levels could make the inhabitants of many Pacific islands the first victims of the apocalyptic future that we will ultimately all share; African nations will suffer as a result of accelerating drought, desertification, famine and malnutrition; kids in England are growing up with increasing respiratory ailments courtesy of polluting emissions, etc. Should any of these events be considered to be ‘normal’ that should be ignored?

I agree with Greta Thunberg that the “dreams” of her generation “have been stolen” through climate change inaction/ denial and “empty words” and promises. And yet there are buffoons out there who cover their eyes and ears (and in the process stick their proverbial middle finger to the world’s poorest and disadvantaged) so that they can see and hear nothing. Their ilk will continue to lobby weak governments and will continue to peddle their conspiratorial propaganda that the scientists ‘are lying’. But, they are the ones who are lying and deceiving a gullible and ill-informed public. That said, “in October 2021 three-quarters (75%) of adults in Great Britain said they were either very or somewhat worried about the impact of climate change”. 

Clearly, public awareness is changing, so perhaps there is still a chance to step away from the abyss. The big question is of course “How ”? The ‘good will’ of ordinary people will not be enough. Governments must stop dithering and produce coordinated and specific plans of action – this is what we are paying the IOMG for, not for sorting out doggy’s whoopsies on the pavement (we have Rob C for that).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HiVibes said:

Stu Peters is Robertshaw's stooge, probably on a promise if he helps get Crogga through, either that or he truly is a dumb ass.

Generally, if the choice is between mendacity and stupidity it's usually the latter. 

3 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Huge, indiscriminate  usage of pesticides and herbicides have greatly contributed to the loss of insects.

Onchan  Commisioners were today mowing the meadow area in Port Jack Glen which was full of wild flowers and therefore insects. It should have been left to allow the flowers to seed.

I would say there are fewer flies, less butterflies but the bees in the orchard are much the same. I do have bee hotels and special places for the bumblies. When I go out to open up the poly tunnel I always stop in awe under the big Beech tree cos it seems as though the whole tree is vibrating with the buzzing of the bees.

Oh yes, I've just managed to buy an old diesel Smart car, cheap and cheerful and 80+ to the gallon and reputed to have the lowest emissions of any current i/c car. It's brill, I can't stop grinning. Reminds me of my old A30.

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, code99 said:

I agree with Greta Thunberg that the “dreams” of her generation “have been stolen” through climate change inaction/ denial and “empty words” and promises.

I think Greta's dreams have been stolen because we have a hugely increased population rather than anything politicians have done.

People are living longer due to science, babies are surviving due to science, famine is largely controllable due to science, poverty has drastically reduced due to science. 

It's those bloody scientists again, let's burn down their laboratories so this can never happen again! 

• Like 1