Is climate change a fraud?

Banker

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Solar is being done at the same time and has a place. Not so good on an overcast day in December though. We are much more wind rich than we are sun rich....sadly

solar panels don't need sun per se, just light.

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

solar panels don't need sun per se, just light.

No. They need sun. Lots of it. Output is severely reduced by cloud or reduced incidence of the sun light. Full output is only with direct incidence and no cloud. 

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I suspect that secretly MU engineers and management are not really that interested in the [wind] turbine solution. I reckon their preference is to go full tilt at the interconnector solution with gas backup.

From speaking to MEA/MUA officials over the years I get the same impression, except that I don't think they're even that keen on interconnectors.  All that matters is that they keep on with their current gas burner and maybe buy an even more expensive one.  Certainly any mention of renewables was met with disgust.[1]

And who can blame them?  When Proffitt build his unnecessary[2] and wildly over-budget gas-powered albatross, he also recruited large numbers of people to run it on equally extravagant financial terms (I believe some of the pension payments are eye-watering).  So they are going to fight long and ruthlessly to keep the current situation exactly as it is.  And of course any situation that involves being paid large amounts of money to change nothing is always going to have the enthusiastic backing of the Manx Civil Service.

[1]  It's often forgotten that the Proffitt project included £10 million for wind turbine construction.  Of course he just spent the money and didn't provide it.

[2]  Remember this was after the interconnector had been completed and there was plenty of back up, including the Pulrose oil-fired stuff, which was supposed to be on its last legs and yet amazingly is still operating.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Not true. 

There is good data on solar irradiance, even for the IOM. 

https://globalsolaratlas.info/map?c=54.269234,-4.524994,9&s=54.205118,-4.597886&m=site&pv=ground,180,38,1000

Yes. You get output. But what ever anyone says you get less when it's winter and less when it's cloudy. Those are inescapable facts. 

On 6/9/2024 at 3:23 PM, Stu Peters said:

Nope, claiming it was a "very short" reaction after 36 seconds, only for the video to be longer than 19 minutes, just knew this guy was just indulging himself. Goodnight.

17 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

From speaking to MEA/MUA officials over the years I get the same impression, except that I don't think they're even that keen on interconnectors.  All that matters is that they keep on with their current gas burner and maybe buy an even more expensive one.  Certainly any mention of renewables was met with disgust.[1]

And who can blame them?  When Proffitt build his unnecessary[2] and wildly over-budget gas-powered albatross, he also recruited large numbers of people to run it on equally extravagant financial terms (I believe some of the pension payments are eye-watering).  So they are going to fight long and ruthlessly to keep the current situation exactly as it is.  And of course any situation that involves being paid large amounts of money to change nothing is always going to have the enthusiastic backing of the Manx Civil Service.

[1]  It's often forgotten that the Proffitt project included £10 million for wind turbine construction.  Of course he just spent the money and didn't provide it.

[2]  Remember this was after the interconnector had been completed and there was plenty of back up, including the Pulrose oil-fired stuff, which was supposed to be on its last legs and yet amazingly is still operating.

So you think the MUA is just going through the motions? 

https://www.manxutilities.im/energy-transition/about/transition-programme/

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

So you think the MUA is just going through the motions? 

https://www.manxutilities.im/energy-transition/about/transition-programme/

Yes. They're dragging their feet on the roll out of smart meters and haven't yet, as far as I know, started on the solar panel installations on any of the public estates. Both of which are slated to be complete by 2026, a year and a half away.

18 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Yes. They're dragging their feet on the roll out of smart meters and haven't yet, as far as I know, started on the solar panel installations on any of the public estates. Both of which are slated to be complete by 2026, a year and a half away.

Any smart meters will be a disaster just like in many parts of England.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Freudian slip?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I'm having my smart meter fitted tomorrow.

They are planning the solar installations at Noble's Hospital and the NSC.

31 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I'm having my smart meter fitted tomorrow.

They are planning the solar installations at Noble's Hospital and the NSC.

You have to wonder why they aren't  included as standard in all new public buildings.  Can't see anything on the Summerhill nursing/residential home.  Hopefully they are included in the nurses home development. 

Got to be cheaper and more efficient if they are in the original construction.