Is climate change a fraud?

Banker

3 hours ago, WTF said:

i caught the tail end of this, the little girl sounded just like a little girl.

Little girl Vs silly old buffer. Neither had me convinced. 

I liked it when she asked him what qualifications he had to comment on the science of climate change. He reeled off a load of qualifications and experience, loosely related to the subject. He then said it was all about mathematics. He lost his credibility totally at that stage IMV

I think on balance she won on points. But then I am biased because I have already made my mind up. There was no knock out punch. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Maybe I missed it but climate change did not really feature in the programme. I don't think any serious observer doubts the serious and rapid changes in climate. All the observations from many disciplines confirms this.

My concern is what, if anything, we can do about it. My personal opinion is that there is sod all we can do. With geopolitics as they are it is my opinion that we should do whatever we can to reduce reliance on oil/gas which mostly comes from hideous parts of the world. Simple cheap changes seems the way to go. I hope to get solar panels on my roof over the next few years for example. 

I doubt that the Manx nation can afford a large wind turbine system. Maybe solar panels on schools and hospital would be good to start with.

• Like 4

Onshore wind is significantly cheaper than PV. 

We've perfect locations for onshore wind. 

For newly commissioned onshore wind projects, the global weighted average LCOE fell by 5% between 2021 and 2022, from USD 0.035/kWh to USD 0.033/kWh; whilst for utility‑scale solar PV projects, it decreased by 3% year-on-year in 2022 to USD 0.049/kWh.

In 2022, the global weighted average LCOE of new onshore wind projects was 52% lower than the cheapest fossil fuel-fired solutions.

https://www.irena.org/Publications/2023/Aug/Renewable-Power-Generation-Costs-in-2022

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Onshore wind is significantly cheaper than PV. 

We've perfect locations for onshore wind. 

For newly commissioned onshore wind projects, the global weighted average LCOE fell by 5% between 2021 and 2022, from USD 0.035/kWh to USD 0.033/kWh; whilst for utility‑scale solar PV projects, it decreased by 3% year-on-year in 2022 to USD 0.049/kWh.

In 2022, the global weighted average LCOE of new onshore wind projects was 52% lower than the cheapest fossil fuel-fired solutions.

https://www.irena.org/Publications/2023/Aug/Renewable-Power-Generation-Costs-in-2022

That is fine, in theory. But, what happens when the wind is insufficient for even a short period? There has to be backup. Batteries are not going to do it. Maybe a small amount of pumped storage. Basically, we need a power station regardless of any other supplementary sources. 

• Like 1

Erm Cambon, the proposition isn't to abandon all other forms of generation, we will still have the interconnector, we should have a tidal generator off the sound or Langness, and yes wind power should only be one part of a diverse but carbon balanced energy mix. And that is what is being proposed.

It would have been good if both participants, rather than wanting to be right, discussed the realities of where we are and what can be done to protect the island as well as its environment.  We can do little more than that. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NoTail said:

we should do whatever we can to reduce reliance on oil/gas which mostly comes from hideous parts of the world. Simple cheap changes seems the way to go.

Simple changes you say, like a blanket ban on over 65's driving cars, that would bring down oil use and make our roads much safer.

7 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Simple changes you say, like a blanket ban on over 65's driving cars, that would bring down oil use and make our roads much safer.

Better to ban fossil fuel central heating, as that is the single largest contributor to the island’s carbon footprint. 
Besides, why ban over 65s? They are the safest demographic. 

43 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Erm Cambon, the proposition isn't to abandon all other forms of generation, we will still have the interconnector, we should have a tidal generator off the sound or Langness, and yes wind power should only be one part of a diverse but carbon balanced energy mix. And that is what is being proposed.

Fair enough, but the current interconnector is at end of life. Earystane is just wrong in so many ways. Other people applying for permission for turbines in other places are being refused while mua want to destroy protected countryside and looks like they will get approval. The government doesn’t have the vision to lead this and is being lead by business, not common sense or the people’s wish. 

4 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

That's just daft in the short term, banning old people driving would be a quick win and improve safety overnight.

Better to ban young people from driving. Old people are the safest demographic. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Better to ban fossil fuel central heating, as that is the single largest contributor to the island’s carbon footprint. 
Besides, why ban over 65s? They are the safest demographic. 

What's going to power the central heating if not gas or oil?

• Like 1