Is climate change a fraud?

Banker

46 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

That's ex-CRHS Geography teacher Paul Craine.

Wants to bankrupt the Island and ensure high energy costs for everyone in the future by pretending that the way in which energy is generated for 84,500 people will save the planet.

Like our emissions  have any discernable effect whatsoever on the climate.

I’m glad you said that as apparently I have an agenda. I’m sure once the video is circulated by Energy FM that what I was talking about above will be clear to everyone. He embarrassed himself and made it very clear that he is not interested in anyone challenging the view his brainwashed Climate Transformation Committee who are hellbent on taking us down this path regardless of what it will cost. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Idleweiss said:

I’m glad you said that as apparently I have an agenda. I’m sure once the video is circulated by Energy FM that what I was talking about above will be clear to everyone. He embarrassed himself and made it very clear that he is not interested in anyone challenging the view his brainwashed Climate Transformation Committee who are hellbent on taking us down this path regardless of what it will cost. 

And there’s your agenda…

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And there’s your agenda…

What is your agenda? There seems to be only one agenda here. And that’s coming from someone claiming that others have agendas. I’m sure people will make up their own minds about the matter when the video is circulated. As I said it was a good night spoiled, partly, by a member of our Climate Transformation Committee embarrassing himself in front of around 130 people by trying to be a pedantic point-scoring know-all. 

9 hours ago, Idleweiss said:

Now there is a man who does not want to listen to any alternative view and who is literally chomping at the bit to burn tens (if not hundreds) of millions of pounds of our money on the next failed IOM big infrastructure scheme.

It’s a shame that nobody pointed out that this isn’t even about wind farms for most people - it’s about the fact that every capital project the IOM has delivered in the last 30 years has been an over budget badly researched crock of shit. And hardly anyone believes that this will be any different. The wind farm bit is generally incidental.

This is my main worry.

We are going to need 2 sets of infrastructure...and we still have a long way to go to clear the debts of the last power station build.

The first major debate I think we should have is how much are we going to rely on interconnectors (or not), and if so, how much fossil fuel generation we need to fall back on should the interconnector fail for any reason. The interconnector gives us the advantages of supplying the UK and beyond on windy enough days. Personally, I can’t see government wholly relying on an interconnector(s).

However, using an interconnector (preferably two in case of one failing) and using the power station as standby only may open the possibility of extending the life of the current power station...taking us to 2060 perhaps?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

This is my main worry.

We are going to need 2 sets of infrastructure...and we still have a long way to go to clear the debts of the last power station build.

Sadly having disputed the amount that they said the interconnector would cost (£75M) Mr Craine could not then confirm how much it would actually cost as he said that hadn’t been finalized yet. But they’re going to build the wind farm anyway. Burgess then said that the battery array Lamara Craine had said was the Green Party’s preferred way of providing the resilience to manage the base load on Manx Radio would be around £3BN based on current requirements.

The last interconnector cost £60M so £75M wasn’t an unreasonable statement but it was challenged as untrue even though the challenger couldn’t actually then confirm the cost. But you're right it’s a dual infrastructure - just to provide power to 85,000 people. 

Just now, Idleweiss said:

Sadly having disputed the amount that they said the interconnector would cost (£75M) Mr Craine could not then confirm how much it would actually cost as he said that hadn’t been finalized yet. But they’re going to build the wind farm anyway. Burgess then said that the battery array Lamara Craine had said was the Green Party’s preferred way of providing the resilience to manage the base load on Manx Radio would be around £3BN based on current requirements.

The last interconnector cost £60M so £75M wasn’t an unreasonable statement but it was challenged as untrue even though the challenger couldn’t actually then confirm the cost. But you're right it’s a dual infrastructure - just to provide power to 85,000 people. 

£75m for an interconnector is a drop in the ocean (pun intended) versus what we would have to pay out again for a new power station in 2035/40.

I think extending the life of the current power station should be the key objective in the overall plan.

• Like 2

Just now, Albert Tatlock said:

i think extending the life of the current power station should be the key objective in the overall plan.

Yes but that’s exactly what the Climate Transformation Committee does not want so I would say it’s unlikely to happen. As was shown this is bordering on almost fantasy money to provide dual infrastructure to support only 5 windmills and 85,000 people. 

3 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

Why do we need to generate electricity locally anyway?

Because relying solely on imports for something as critical as power would be the biggest strategic blunder ever made by our politicos. 

• Like 1

Just now, b4mbi said:

Because relying solely on imports for something as critical as power would be the biggest strategic blunder ever made by our politicos. 

we import the fuel to run the power station  , what's the difference? to answer rogers question, to keep people in jobs

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

Anyone know who Julian is on MR mannin line? He doesn't know what 'Onomatopeia' means but he seems like a likeable chap, but has an immense amount of airtime. I'm just interested to know if he's a local fruitcake.

Certainly sexual chemistry between him and Wint, flies a drone and sounds like one.  He is the one of the Juanon ( and on and on and on and on and on and on) gang  right wing noodles, english of course all of them.

10 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

£75m for an interconnector is a drop in the ocean (pun intended) versus what we would have to pay out again for a new power station in 2035/40.

I think extending the life of the current power station should be the key objective in the overall plan.

And, if the Crogga test well is drilled and it proves gas will flow commercially, we have the possibility to supply that extended life power station with our own gas resource, which will provide residents with the CHEAPEST, most stable energy price in Europe - whilst also raising enough funds to

a) pay off power station debt
b) fully fund renewables and related infrastructure upgrades

It is imperative that Government agree to the work schedule variation request, and Crogga are allowed to drill a test well, so that we have a factual, definite physical result about whether we're sitting on a gas goldmine.

We have to be realistic about what we can afford.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, WTF said:

we import the fuel to run the power station  , what's the difference? to answer rogers question, to keep people in jobs

yes, true, but we have resiliency of supply presently through an interconnector cable, gas supply, and oil generators (with a small percentage of hyrdoelectric capacity)

3 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

yes, true, but we have resiliency of supply presently through an interconnector cable, gas supply, and oil generators (with a small percentage of hyrdoelectric capacity)

Resilience of supply could be an interconnect to UK and another to Ireland, coming into different sides of the island.

Probably expensive initially but once up and running let our two much bigger neighbours deal with the issues and expense of generation and send it to us.