Is climate change a fraud?

Banker

17 minutes ago, Idleweiss said:

Actually your link says  “Capacity factor of land based wind in the U.S. ranges from 21% to 52% and averages 35%”

As Burgess pointed out on the night the IOM one uses a calculation of 40% despite the best onshore farm in the UK (in Scotland) producing only 27%. He said that there is no onshore farm in the UK, even those in the Scottish Islands, doing anywhere near 40%. The maximum is onshore is currently 27%. 

Yes, as in the average for the entire US is 35%. Clearly that average is not very useful when considering a single targeted wind-farm at Earystane.

If you look up the original report (https://emp.lbl.gov/wind-technologies-market-report/) you'll find the datasheet, where even if you break it down by State which is clearly still not going to show the absolute best case scenario comparable to a small wind farm in a well-selected location, some states have a capacity factor of high 40%s.

OekvVUu.png

7 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Yes, as in the average for the entire US is 35%. Clearly that average is not very useful when considering a single targeted wind-farm at Earystane.

If you look up the original report (https://emp.lbl.gov/wind-technologies-market-report/) you'll find the datasheet, where even if you break it down by State which is clearly still not going to show the absolute best case scenario comparable to a small wind farm in a well-selected location, some states have a capacity factor of high 40%s.

I’d have thought what is actually being experienced onshore in Scotland (27%) which is the highest in the UK is more relevant as a base point than what the average is in the US in an entirely different part of the world. It certainly makes you wonder why we have used 40% if nobody in the UK is currently anchieving anywhere near 40%. 

Edited by Idleweiss

15 minutes ago, Idleweiss said:

As Burgess pointed out on the night the IOM one uses a calculation of 40% despite the best onshore farm in the UK (in Scotland) producing only 27%. He said that there is no onshore farm in the UK, even those in the Scottish Islands, doing anywhere near 40%. The maximum is onshore is currently 27%. 

This is a good example of how these distortions are spread.  The 27% load factor for Scotland is the average across all all Scottish wind farms, not the maximum.  I don't know what the true figure is, but you would expect new and larger turbine (as proposed) to be more efficient.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Idleweiss said:

I’d have thought what is actually being experienced onshore in Scotland (27%) which is the highest in the UK is more relevant as a base point than what the average is in the US in an entirely different part of the world. It certainly makes you wonder why we have used 40% if nobody in the UK is currently anchieving anywhere near 40%. 

"Shetland offers a huge opportunity to wind developers, as Shetland’s existing Burradale wind farm proves. Sited onshore on the largest island, Mainland, the five turbines generate 3.68MW with an average capacity factor of 52%"

https://www.power-technology.com/features/sse-renewables-viking-wind-farm-shetland-development-onshore/?cf-view

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, HeliX said:

"Shetland offers a huge opportunity to wind developers, as Shetland’s existing Burradale wind farm proves. Sited onshore on the largest island, Mainland, the five turbines generate 3.68MW with an average capacity factor of 52%"

https://www.power-technology.com/features/sse-renewables-viking-wind-farm-shetland-development-onshore/?cf-view

How the Viking wind farm could rewrite energy on the Shetland Islands.

Its theoretical. It isn’t fact. 

Just now, Idleweiss said:

How the Viking wind farm could rewrite energy on the Shetland Islands.

Its theoretical. It isn’t fact. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

That paragraph continues “This measure of generating potential sits well above the UK average of 28%. 

Edited by Idleweiss

6 minutes ago, Idleweiss said:

That paragraph continues “This measure of generating potential sits well above the UK average of 28%. 

Potential in that sentence a synonym for capacity, not a suggestion that it hasn't happened.

Here are the actual, historic, achieved load factors for the Burradale site:

burradale_capacity_load_factor_2024_upda

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Potential in that sentence a synonym for capacity, not a suggestion that it hasn't happened.

Here are the actual, historic, achieved load factors for the Burradale site:

burradale_capacity_load_factor_2024_upda

I’ll leave it there. You’re clearly the angry eco wally that’s all over Facebook. This will just go on for hours. It’s not worth my time. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Idleweiss said:

I’ll leave it there. You’re clearly the angry eco wally that’s all over Facebook. This will just go on for hours. It’s not worth my time. 

Nothing to do with you being proven resoundingly wrong, I'm sure. And I don't really use Facebook.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Idleweiss said:

What a tit, happy to sit through 3 hours of fascist waffle and lies but can't read a graph.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

What a tit, happy to sit through 3 hours of fascist waffle and lies but can't read a graph.

For the last time what was fascist about anything? That just seems a really lazy way of trying to discredit anything that might have been said. The same lazy argument badly deployed by Lamara Craine. Not once did i see a black shirt, or a nazi salute. There was no mention of Tommy Robinson, or Brexit. There was no casual racism and absolutely no references to illegal immigrants. Surprisingly enough it was just about where he thought the IOM was going wrong on its numbers and its business case. Thats it. 

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

A drop in the ocean and about half what the energy from waste plant is supposed to contribute, at great expense. Hasn’t generated anything for months if not years. Another government success story!