Is climate change a fraud?

Banker

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

This is true. I think though that the issue many have is that whatever we do on the Island is going to have negligible effect on those consequences.

Bankrupting ourselves and destroying the services to society that we currently have in the name of prioritising financing those efforts towards the negligible will have far more immediate consequences, if they are not already doing so.

Everyone needs to do their equal share. That includes us. If everyone had that attitude then how sad would that be. 

Just now, Happier diner said:

Everyone needs to do their equal share. That includes us. If everyone had that attitude then how sad would that be. 

What happens if we can't afford to do our equal share, or if that share involves the demolition of services that our society enjoys, the financing of say, doctors, dentists, healthcare, the upkeep of our infrastructure and society?

Note that I am not denying climate change. I am simply saying that our contribution needs to be tailored to our means. There are usually many people who are happy to jump on a bandwagon and make a very profitable industry out of it. Remember the Millennium Bug?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Rubbish, it’s a con and you know it. Until China, India USA reduce their carbon footprint then absolutely nothing we do will make a difference. We’ll only end up getting taxed even more.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cissolt said:

Only took him 1,082 days since his first sitting to say something.  Whatever happened to one lone voice won't change anything?

The cynic in my senses that people have an eye on the next election 

A Middle MHK is contemplating new proposals to make the Isle of Man's approach to net-zero targets more pragmatic…It is still unclear what form any potential motion could take as the current interim climate targets are enshrined in law and cannot be postponed..."

If the IOMG wants “more pragmatic approach” it will need to collaborate with the UK Government to submit a new plan. Perhaps Stu Peters could be our Chief Negotiator…our very own Michel Barnier.

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

What happens if we can't afford to do our equal share, or if that share involves the demolition of services that our society enjoys, the financing of say, doctors, dentists, healthcare, the upkeep of our infrastructure and society?

Note that I am not denying climate change. I am simply saying that our contribution needs to be tailored to our means. There are usually many people who are happy to jump on a bandwagon and make a very profitable industry out of it. Remember the Millennium Bug?

I meant equal share pro rata. Not the same as China 😂😂

1 hour ago, code99 said:

A Middle MHK is contemplating new proposals to make the Isle of Man's approach to net-zero targets more pragmatic…It is still unclear what form any potential motion could take as the current interim climate targets are enshrined in law and cannot be postponed..."

If the IOMG wants “more pragmatic approach” it will need to collaborate with the UK Government to submit a new plan. Perhaps Stu Peters could be our Chief Negotiator…our very own Michel Barnier.

Oh he's thinking about maybe doing something after waiting more than 2 years? 

How many people actually wanted these climate targets?  The green lobby froth at the mouth whenever it's suggested this nonsense is put to a referendum.

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

But where do you want that part to end and at what price? We need to balance our approach with both regard to the economy and reality of ambition.

I've posted this before but it seems to be equally applicable now

Screenshot_20240915-195619_Facebook.jpg

If the planet and ecosystem go to shit then the precious economy won't survive either.

That picture is nonsense.   They are burning would for heat which is hardly environmentally friendly.   They are eating lots of berries etc which won't be available if the ecosystem collapses.

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

If the planet and ecosystem go to shit then the precious economy won't survive either.

That picture is nonsense.   They are burning would for heat which is hardly environmentally friendly.   They are eating lots of berries etc which won't be available if the ecosystem collapses.

Burning wood is sustainable if the trees are replaced. 

After the ‘summer’ we’ve just had I’m not suggesting climate change isn’t real, but the sheer number of people alive today compared to 100 years ago tells me it’s not gas boilers or diesel cars causing it. So the answer is to mitigate it rather than think we can control it.

I watched a US Senate Committee hearing a few weeks ago. The ‘expert’ wasn’t willing to put a figure on net zero but didn’t disagree that it would cost trillions. He (possibly wisely) then failed to answer how effective that spend would be in reducing global warming. It’s all smoke and mirrors designed to destabilise the West and enrich only those who support it.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Chinahand said:

Erm ... this is very strange - what are the budgets for education and health?

I suspect absolutely no one is suggesting climate change initiatives should receive anything like their total budgets.

There's a chance capital v operational budgets are the issue, but I'd love to see the figures, properly accounted for over the life of the assets.

Education, Sport and Culture £152.7 million

Health and Social Care £371.6 million

Total DEFA budget £238 million

Cabinet Office £415 million