Is climate change a fraud?

Banker

3 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Oh really? So all your buildings were funded from profits then?

I don’t know the history of the buildings or how they were funded when IOMPO broke away from Royal Mail. But you’re clutching at straws now to prove your incorrect points.

8 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I don’t know the history of the buildings or how they were funded when IOMPO broke away from Royal Mail. But you’re clutching at straws now to prove your incorrect points.

Oh really? Which points are they?

I imagine it's fairly easy to make a profit when you inherit millions of pounds worth of property and a very well established public service.

Bit disengenuos to ignore the taxpayer's role in your success though don't you think?

12 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Buying electric vehicles is not 'frittering away' money. It is preventing more Co2 being released into the atmosphere. 

Basically it’s glorified dick waving and grandstanding. Don’t we look good, aren’t we setting a good example. No doubt the DoI will be upgrading their vehicles to electric. What I find confusing is, if they purchase electric vehicles, to replace petrol/diesel vehicles, what happens to the vehicle? Chrystals Auctions? Therefore the vehicle goes on to ‘spew out emissions’. Perhaps these vehicles should be scrapped, so they can’t pollute the environment? 

ETA - if the IOMPo old vans are sent off island to be sold, then you could argue that you are exporting the polluting CO2 emissions to another jurisdiction. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Like I said , there is no such thing as taxpayers money. So you are misunderstanding the basics of economics. But that is not unusual in politicians. UK politicians are equally clueless on this issue. 

On 10/10/2024 at 9:12 PM, Anyone said:

Like I said , there is no such thing as taxpayers money. So you are misunderstanding the basics of economics. But that is not unusual in politicians. UK politicians are equally clueless on this issue. 

I think most of the adults reading this will agree that in general references to ‘taxpayer’s money’ refers to government spending of taxes received. It’s like we all know what car tax is, even though it’s been renamed vehicle excise duty. To claim otherwise is needless sophistry.

• Like 4

On 10/9/2024 at 10:39 AM, Tinpot said:

Eh?

September was a new record month for electric car sales in the UK.

Worldwide sales are growing all the time.

Just not true in other places.  VW is in dire trouble. Two main reasons. They went with e cars. Hook, line and sinker and they can’t sell them. Other reason is that the energy costs make it impossible to profitably manufacture in Germany. Basically thanks to children’s book author and Green, minister Habeck. So VW is looking to close a number of works and export the jobs to other countries. And that is really the point. If we virtue signal and tell the world how Green we are but continue to buy all the goods made in China and elsewhere, that includes minute electronic components and brand names which have their goods produced in China, then the whole thing is a travesty. We are simply having our dirty work exported. Then import, package in recycled cartons and claim to be saving the planet. Simply a load of tosh.

Edited by boswellian
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I think most of the adults reading this will agree that in general references to ‘taxpayer’s money’ refers to government spending of taxes received. It’s like we all know what car tax is, even though it’s been renamed vehicle excise duty. To claim otherwise is needless sophistry.

Actually it’s the other way around. Government  , and by that I mean the UK one , ( not the IOM one obviously because it’s uses sterling and does not have a central bank so is beholden to UK economic policy) owns the money and merely lends it. This ‘taxpayers money’ thing is a myth. But unless you have serious economic knowledge you won’t get this and most politicians don’t. That’s not a critique of politicians but a fact. A bit like politicians denying climate change exists.

Of course is is different in the IOM because they have to ‘balance the books’. Just as the devolved parts of the UK do. Sovereign nations don’t follow those rules because they are different , they have economic levers that are not available to places such as the IOM.

Please don’t mention the IOM rights to set their own tax laws - that is not relevant.

3 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Actually it’s the other way around. Government  , and by that I mean the UK one , ( not the IOM one obviously because it’s uses sterling and does not have a central bank so is beholden to UK economic policy) owns the money and merely lends it. This ‘taxpayers money’ thing is a myth. But unless you have serious economic knowledge you won’t get this and most politicians don’t. That’s not a critique of politicians but a fact. A bit like politicians denying climate change exists.

Of course is is different in the IOM because they have to ‘balance the books’. Just as the devolved parts of the UK do. Sovereign nations don’t follow those rules because they are different , they have economic levers that are not available to places such as the IOM.

Please don’t mention the IOM rights to set their own tax laws - that is not relevant.

So. As a follower of MMT are you advocating the IOM establishing its own currency? Your post does not really help. IOM is facing a serious financial crunch and it seems like we are just cracking on as if everything will be OK. 

2 minutes ago, NoTail said:

So. As a follower of MMT are you advocating the IOM establishing its own currency? Your post does not really help. IOM is facing a serious financial crunch and it seems like we are just cracking on as if everything will be OK. 

No that would be suicidal for the IOM financially. The IOM has no option but to stay with sterling/