Is climate change a fraud?

Banker

2 hours ago, Gizo said:

Actually as a double finisher of the Parish walk I wholeheartedly support it. What I don’t support or agree with is the completely unnecessary number of support vehicles. 
when I completed it, there were few cars about, now every competitor has a support vehicle, furthermore there are enough tuck shops and water bowsers all the way to Peel, enough that support vehicles should be banned. A broom wagon is all that is needed to collect strays. Upon the Sloc a few medical stands along there will help any strugglers. 

I’ve seen competitors require food and water assistance on the fckn Ballahutchin, it’s completely utterly stupid and bonkers. 

Agreed. It was ridiculous going through Ballabeg earlier with support cars blocking the road and people holding out food and water for people who had just walked past a feed station 10 metres earlier.

The support cars were always an absolute danger the two times I did it too.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gizo said:

Actually as a double finisher of the Parish walk I wholeheartedly support it. What I don’t support or agree with is the completely unnecessary number of support vehicles. 
when I completed it, there were few cars about, now every competitor has a support vehicle, furthermore there are enough tuck shops and water bowsers all the way to Peel, enough that support vehicles should be banned. A broom wagon is all that is needed to collect strays. Upon the Sloc a few medical stands along there will help any strugglers. 

I’ve seen competitors require food and water assistance on the fckn Ballahutchin, it’s completely utterly stupid and bonkers. 

No such thing as support vehicles 40 years ago , starting at 3pm the main consideration was getting to peel before last orders, also stopping for a quick half & pickled egg at Colby glen 😀

• Like 1

It may be something that fits in nicely with this thread, has anyone had one of the green scheme surveys done yet? I’ve just had a friends survey come back and it’s not worth the paper it’s written on. Is it just an attempt to support the economy by only focusing on boiler replacement, window glazing and loft insulation? There is no discounts if you do the work yourself.

7 hours ago, Gizo said:

The annual IOM emissions day starts today, avoid Douglas to Peel as 1000 cars pollute the countryside all in the cause to promote hEaLtHy exercise..Bonkers!

It’s in the same spirit as the annual tractor run, let’s send some of the most polluting vehicles round the TT course and encourage as many people as possible to stand by the roadside to breath in the noxious fumes.

The support vehicles are by far the most irritating thing about the parish walk though, it does seem completely unnecessary when a few welfare checkpoints would do, it’s a good job those in the Tour de France don’t need a support vehicle following them for every mile.

3 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

It may be something that fits in nicely with this thread, has anyone had one of the green scheme surveys done yet? I’ve just had a friends survey come back and it’s not worth the paper it’s written on. Is it just an attempt to support the economy by only focusing on boiler replacement, window glazing and loft insulation? There is no discounts if you do the work yourself.

Yes I’ve got one, it’s a lot of waffle!! Unless the cost is under £1000 you need to use a government accredited firm , from the list provided . I will probably get the loft insulation done which the survey estimates will be c£1400.

You put insulation into the government site of firms & it comes up with nothing!!

You need a minimum of 2 quotes to progress, have to submit online , get approved then get work done & then submit bills etc. don’t think I can be arsed with all the hassle 

Anyone know good insulation firms?

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

Yes I’ve got one, it’s a lot of waffle!! Unless the cost is under £1000 you need to use a government accredited firm , from the list provided . I will probably get the loft insulation done which the survey estimates will be c£1400.

You put insulation into the government site of firms & it comes up with nothing!!

You need a minimum of 2 quotes to progress, have to submit online , get approved then get work done & then submit bills etc. don’t think I can be arsed with all the hassle 

B&Q £25 a roll and unless you live a mansion 5 or 6 rolls should suffice.

Edited by finlo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, finlo said:

B&Q £25 a roll and unless you live a mansion 5 or 6 rolls should suffice.

Or £15 - £20 a roll from a builders merchants...

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Or £15 - £20 a roll from a builders merchants...

I was just highlighting the fact that to access these schemes you have to sign up for over priced local contenders and pay 10 X what it actually costs to try to get some sort of assistance with the costs!

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Banker said:

Insulation is listed under ‘sub category’ but there is only one company listed which doesn’t seem right to me, most builders/property maintenance firms will take the job on and just send the apprentice(s) up there as it’s a dusty horrible job.

I did my own loft insulation for around £300, 200mm laid in between the joists and 100mm across the top, not sure where you guys found merchants selling it for £15-£20 a roll unless that’s ex VAT and I can’t see anyone doing the job for less than £200 a day.

If you’re thinking about doing it yourself get a good respirator with some high efficiency filters, this time of year a loft is so warm you won’t be able to breath in a normal mask. A decent set of overalls is a must as the cheap ones just rip to bits, I also cut the insulation with a bread knife rather than a hand saw, much easier to work with in a small space, worth buying a pack of loft boards from B&Q to use as crawl boards too

• Like 1

13 hours ago, finlo said:

I was just highlighting the fact that to access these schemes you have to sign up for over priced local contenders and pay 10 X what it actually costs to try to get some sort of assistance with the costs!

The climate change industry is all about getting people to spend loads of money on things they don't really need, that will make little or no difference to climate situation. 

• Like 3

Saw an interesting meme yesterday about petrol/diesel prices, along the lines of 'nobody will buy an electric car when pump fuel is still affordable'. Sounds about right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

If you’re thinking about doing it yourself get a good respirator with some high efficiency filters, this time of year a loft is so warm you won’t be able to breath in a normal mask. A decent set of overalls is a must as the cheap ones just rip to bits, I also cut the insulation with a bread knife rather than a hand saw, much easier to work with in a small space, worth buying a pack of loft boards from B&Q to use as crawl boards too.

And wear a hard hat or you'll regret it...!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

Saw an interesting meme yesterday about petrol/diesel prices, along the lines of 'nobody will buy an electric car when pump fuel is still affordable'. Sounds about right.

I plan that my next car will be electric 

• Like 1