TT 2023

0bserver

1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

The whole "festival" needs to be pulled apart and put back together again - into something like a one week compact event. Think about it - it would make it more attractive for more people to come for the whole week (many bikers I know now come for an average of 4 days because of the cost), the number of races (and deaths/life changing injuries) could be reduced, the inconvenience to the residents would be reduced, the overall net income to the island would be the same, if not better - not to mention the reduction in strain on infrastructure, public services, emergency services....

T

I don't think you have thought this through really. How would you get all these people here on day 1 and then away on day 5. We would have to hire half a dozen extra ferries!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is quite obvious from Mr Callister’s comments on Manx Radio this morning  is that to all intents and purposes the event programme is all ready been decided for next year’s TT

The request for feedback is the usual tick in the box window dressing exercise of public consultation that we expect from the Manx Government.

According to Callister the Steam Packet and hotels on the Island 🏝 🏨 are already taking bookings with the new format in mind.

30 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I don't think you have thought this through really. How would you get all these people here on day 1 and then away on day 5. We would have to hire half a dozen extra ferries!

There will always be people who come for the whole fortnight. I know some who come in car, van or with bikes, stay a few days, fly home and return for senior race weekend, before sailing home.

The new schedule allows for two weekends of racing.

Dont forget, from April 2023 peak ferry capacity is increased by 50%. 

12 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I thought they were just keeping the Ben in reserve. Are they actually planning to use it? 

It’s clear that for most of the year it’ll be in reserve, replacing MV Arrow. They keep that crewed and on standby.

An on standby Ben will need a basic crew on board all year round. A passenger carrying Ben will need much more crew than a freight only Ben. The rest of the costs of inspection and certification etc. remain the same.

It'll depend on demand, crew availability, and economics. But it’s there for peak if there is demand and it’s cost effective. They’ll be using it for freight anyway over TT so Ben will be sailing.

22 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Do we have the bed capacity for everyone to be at the same time?

We have only 6,500 permanent bed spaces now, the rest are made up from camping and homestay. 

A far cry from the heydays of the TT and tourism. The half hearted attempts at keeping a tourism industry have failed miserably due to lack of ambition, investment and intelligence!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

I was responding to the suggestion above that it  could be held all in one week with the same number of visitors.

It would be better if our Govt pursued better safety than money!

Well I think the idea is that having two peaks to the racing, we will have two peaks in visitor numbers, thereby increasing the numbers who are able to attend.

I don't think government are chasing greater profits for the exchequer, rather for the associated businesses. I have spoken to several business owners who have said that without a successful TT, they just wouldn't bother anymore. That would have a knock on effect to even more businesses which are not directly related to the event, we would just be a poorer place all round.  

As far as safety is concerned, they are pursuing it, there's always something that by the very nature of the course, catches you out. Just taking the two solo incidents, both places involved have seen efforts to make them safer, and they have been successful in previous incidents. The two sidecar incidents, although very similar, were the first since 1988, where changes were made to remove the possibility of them happening again. The road was changed and the sidecars were changed also.   

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

We have only 6,500 permanent bed spaces now, the rest are made up from camping and homestay. 

A far cry from the heydays of the TT and tourism. The half hearted attempts at keeping a tourism industry have failed miserably due to lack of ambition, investment and intelligence!

Mass tourism on the Isle of Man is no longer sustainable on a large scale. 6,500 is probably too many bed spaces in the long term.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I don't think government are chasing greater profits for the exchequer, rather for the associated businesses. I have spoken to several business owners who have said that without a successful TT, they just wouldn't bother anymore. That would have a knock on effect to even more businesses which are not directly related to the event, we would just be a poorer place all round.  

Government should be doing more to diversify business outside of the TT. Even if TT continues, it shouldn't be the sole thing that makes a business. There's 11 months of the year they also need to be viable in. 

2 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Government should be doing more to diversify business outside of the TT. Even if TT continues, it shouldn't be the sole thing that makes a business. There's 11 months of the year they also need to be viable in.

Legalise weed, job done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Max, I think for many businesses the TT is not so much sustaining as a bonus on top of normal times.

It's a holiday at the end of the season or a new car or for many boarding house keepers, winter in Spain!!! Often, due mainly to the weather, many firms will have worse than normal days during TT week.

Whether it is for businesses or Govt coffers, it's still about money.