TT 2023

0bserver

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You can't have guys racing at speeds of 200mph round the IOM T.T. course popped to the eyeballs either Thommo. 

Just now, Declan said:

I would have thought the biggest concerns would be alcohol and pot, but they're not performance enhancing. Speed maybe but surely riding at 150 mph is going to produce a similar affect anyway.  

Weed might chill you out a little bit and create some more focus.  It's widely used in a few sports (that don't drug test) as it's renowned for helping you enter 'flow state'.  But at 200 mph even a nanosecond of distraction could be deadly, so that would be up for some debate. 

Could even be something like Sudafed which contains pseudoephedrine.  Which is basically a synethised version of adrenaline and on plenty of banned substance lists for sports.  Helps you're fight and flight response, speed of reactions etc.  Obviously adrenaline is naturally produced, you don't want to be snotty or tired when being chased by a lion. 

A few years back during TT I was working behind the bar in the Mike Hailwood Centre (when Vagabonds RFC were the tenants) when a sidecar outfit driver and his chair came in and ordered a pint each. Getting towards the bottom of their glasses the driver took some tablets out of his leathers (I assumed painkillers as he had a funny walk and gait) and washed them down with his last swallow of ale. I should say that they had just finished their race. 

I did wonder later in the day if he did that before the race as well. I'd like to think not but some painkillers are very strong and no doubt carry warnings about operating machinery and driving etc.

17 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Wasn't it Bruce Anstey on the Suzuki moto GP bike. Whoever it was, in the words of JM130, you wouldn't want to be on the back.

I think that was about ten(?) years ago.

Anstey's 200 mph wasn't I think recorded on a "terrestial" speed trap, but I believe it was read (or inferred) from engine telemetry from a TAS Suzuki.

Sulby straight was then (don't know if it still is or not) pretty bumpy for those speeds and obviously there was a liklihood that engine revs and speeds would be overstated whenever the back wheel might have been momentarily airborne.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

I think that was about ten(?) years ago.

Anstey's 200 mph wasn't I think recorded on a "terrestial" speed trap, but I believe it was read (or inferred) from engine telemetry from a TAS Suzuki.

Sulby straight was then (don't know if it still is or not) pretty bumpy for those speeds and obviously there was a liklihood that engine revs and speeds would be overstated whenever the back wheel might have been momentarily airborne.

IIRC it was meant to be a “demonstration lap” at reasonable speeds. As if that was ever going to happen :) Never going to forget the faces of the visitors with their cameras in hand, expecting a slow ride by and only seeing a flash shoot by them. He had fun on that lap. 

13 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

IIRC it was meant to be a “demonstration lap” at reasonable speeds. 

Snigger 😆

I think the original David Higgins Subaru laps were meant to be the same.  Then a few years later they decided he could really give it beans for a proper record attempt with a fully set up car. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

IIRC it was meant to be a “demonstration lap” at reasonable speeds. As if that was ever going to happen :) Never going to forget the faces of the visitors with their cameras in hand, expecting a slow ride by and only seeing a flash shoot by them. He had fun on that lap. 

Was that Anstey or are you thinking of James Hillier demonstrating the H2R in 2015?

(He allegedly hit anything between 206 and 216 mph, but again I think it might have been with a "bouncy" wheel and not through a measured distance speed trap.   BTW I assume Hickman's 200+ is through a proper speed trap... )

42 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Snigger 😆

I think the original David Higgins Subaru laps were meant to be the same.  Then a few years later they decided he could really give it beans for a proper record attempt with a fully set up car. 

It's interesting to compare Tony Pond's 100mph lap in the Rover to Mark Higgins's laps in the Subaru.  I've got the Pond video and remember being impressed that he mainatined 150mph from Ballagarey to the Highlander, whereas Higgins appears to be travelling at 175(+?) in an awful lot of places...

Edited by Ghost Ship
spelling
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

It's interesting to compare Tony Pond's 100mph lap in the Rover to Mark Higgins's laps in the Subaru.  I've got the Pond video and remember being impressed that he mainatined 150mph from Ballagarey to the Highlander, whereas Higgins appears to be travelling at 175(+?) in an awful lot of places...

I was amazed Pond managed to get the Rover round corners. Such a random choice of vehicle. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, finlo said:

Well it was fully race prepped despite their claims otherwise.

The cars in those days were often virtually rebuilt and modified for racing and rallying. Very different suspension and race tuned engines. They were never showroom cars despite the sales and marketing spin. 

• Like 2