TT 2023

0bserver

Just now, slinkydevil said:

So what? There are plenty of things in my life that have been everything to me, but I've either had to stop or cut down because of life changes like family commitments or age. Let them be devastated and go and do something else.

Does everyone need to have exactly the same values and behaviours?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

People should be free to spend their micromorts as they wish, shouldn't they?

A lot of motor cycle events are run by enthusiasts. The average age for S100 and the Classic must be 60+ and have been doing it for years. It's not easy for grandad and co to adapt to the increased speeds and safety issues.

Look at the marshalling points around the course and see the age of the volunteers. There is no obvious future ahead.

8 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Of course not, but I wasn't risking my life on public roads, sponsored by the government at a cost to the taxpayers. I gave up something dangerous because I had kids and thought it was a bit selfish. But you're right people can do what they want I guess.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

When your passion is hurtling around the TT course then Yes!

Not really, you're suggesting state control of what we should be passionate about. I agree that some people need protecting from themselves but a man who is physically fit, has met all of the pre-requisites (and there are many) shouldn't be prevented from taking part in what is one of the slowest forms of racing. 

33 minutes ago, Wake Up Call said:

A lot of motor cycle events are run by enthusiasts. The average age for S100 and the Classic must be 60+ and have been doing it for years. It's not easy for grandad and co to adapt to the increased speeds and safety issues.

Look at the marshalling points around the course and see the age of the volunteers. There is no obvious future ahead.

I wouldn't say the competitors in the S100 are an average age of 60, the Pre-TT Classic is probably close to that figure. 

The organisers are now ACU Events, they run the racing element, as they do with the MGP and TT. The majority of them are 40's to 50's.

As I mentioned in another thread, Marshals tend to be older people because they have more free time and the job appeals to the age range. Older ones retire or move on and are replaced by more 50-60 year olds. It's much the same at most motor sports events.   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

jeez. sixty fuckn nine. 

You'll be lucky to get on an Alton Towers ride but here they let these old geezers fly round the TT course with gay abandon. Fuckn criminal. 

Alton Towers rides have an upper age limit?   Well, the day’s not wasted if you learn something…

54 minutes ago, Wake Up Call said:

A lot of retirees have a lot of spare time on their hands..... 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Gizo said:

jeez. sixty fuckn nine. 

You'll be lucky to get on an Alton Towers ride but here they let these old geezers fly round the TT course with gay abandon. Fuckn criminal. 

You don't stop having fun when you get old, you get old when you stop having fun - probably happened a long time ago for you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

Of course not, but I wasn't risking my life on public roads, sponsored by the government at a cost to the taxpayers. I gave up something dangerous because I had kids and thought it was a bit selfish. But you're right people can do what they want I guess.

Thanks for your permission, I see you haven't given up your ego yet though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

but a man who is physically fit

You mean person of course😁

Just an observation. Fit is not the same as capable. As you age your reaction time slows proportionally. As does your peripheral vision. That's why there are so many old geezers tootling around and getting in the way on the roads and the supermarket isles. So hivibes keeps telling us.

Its not employment so a higher age limit could be set AFAIK.

TBH - 69 doesn't sit comfortable with me. Makes my back ache and I struggle for breath 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

😁

Just an observation. Fit is not the same as capable. As you age your reaction time slows proportionally. As does your peripheral vision. 

As does your bravery in my experience.

Racing motorbikes is inherently dangerous, everybody knows it, not least this gentleman.

We have no idea whether age was a factor in his demise, many younger men have been killed doing the same thing.

He accepted the risks and therefore he's dead at 69. You could say the same about many smokers, drinkers or obese people - but I guess they don't close the roads.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You mean person of course😁

Just an observation. Fit is not the same as capable. As you age your reaction time slows proportionally. As does your peripheral vision. That's why there are so many old geezers tootling around and getting in the way on the roads and the supermarket isles. So hivibes keeps telling us.

Its not employment so a higher age limit could be set AFAIK.

TBH - 69 doesn't sit comfortable with me. Makes my back ache and I struggle for breath 

Placing an arbitrary age limit seems a bit....well, arbitrary. Surely the issue is whether they are fit to compete, and the medical examination that is required in order to get a Mountain Course licence should include assessments of things like reaction time, peripheral vision, cognitive decline. There would likely be some 50yr olds who would fail and some 70yr olds who would pass. The point is it wouldn't be based on their age but on an objective assessment of their abilities.

• Like 1