TT 2023

0bserver

12 hours ago, wrighty said:

Listening to Manx Radio TT just prior to the practice.  Gobsmacked to hear an advert for these guys:

https://motorcyclefunerals.com/

And MF posters get accused of being crass.

What’s the issue?

People who like bikes might want or use that service.

People who like bikes are here and listening to the the radio, so are a good market.

People who might want to use that service die of old age, cancer, heart attacks etc just the same as anyone else and instead of just hoping there was a service like that available now know that there is should they want to use it.

Edited by Ativa
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, hissingsid said:

There is a local company that provides this service already however they do not advertise around race week as they think it is poor taste.   The company that are advertising are from the adjacent Island they and Manx Radio are without shame.

Exactly, it's not an unreasonable service to provide to send off deceased bikers in a manner that reflects their life. 

Targeting a road race with a high casualty rate is crass. Can you imagine a presenter announcing the death of a competitor and immediately cutting to an ad for a motorcycle funeral service? Hopefully Manx Radio are on top of that possibility.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

A TT rider has been let off by police after being caught riding at 'dramatically higher speeds than permitted' on Manx roads. This seems slightly at odds with the message the police try to broadcast. Is it one law for racers and another for the rest of us?

And he's gloating about it on social media!

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

Exactly, it's not an unreasonable service to provide to send off deceased bikers in a manner that reflects their life. 

Targeting a road race with a high casualty rate is crass. Can you imagine a presenter announcing the death of a competitor and immediately cutting to an ad for a motorcycle funeral service? Hopefully Manx Radio are on top of that possibility.

Happens every time Manx Radio do an obituary, it cuts straight to an advert for memorial stones.

What’s the issue?  Why are people so easily offended these days.

It’s a targeted advert aimed at people with a specific interest and passion.

• Sad 1

Just now, Ativa said:

Happens every time Manx Radio do an obituary, it cuts straight to an advert for memorial stones.

What’s the issue?  Why are people so easily offended these days.

It’s a targeted advert aimed at people with a specific interest and passion.

Don't put words in people's mouths. I'm not offended, I just think it's crass and tasteless. But say anything critical about any aspect of the TT and it triggers you, snowflake. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

A TT rider has been let off by police after being caught riding at 'dramatically higher speeds than permitted' on Manx roads. This seems slightly at odds with the message the police try to broadcast. Is it one law for racers and another for the rest of us?

‘dramatically higher speeds than permitted' ....................   OR    ‘not excessive’ and was within ‘tolerance levels’. ....................

well which was it ?  it can't be both.   politics interfering with the law again.

9 hours ago, Max Power said:

Nothing like the level of preparation of the Subaru. The Rover had decent tyres, shocks and brake pads. The Subaru was a racing car, specially built for the job.

It was a rally car that was modified, as much as could reasonably be done, in order to optimise it for the TT course. It was not specially built for the job at all. Its a modified road car. It is too wide to get perfect racing lines and too heavy to do anything like the speed of a bike.

If someone wanted to they could build a car that would break the lap record no problem. However it will never be allowed because the 2 wheeled fans that run the event would never want to see a car break the lap record. I reckon something along the lines of the Atom would do it. It would have to be light and narrow, basically a bike but with 4 wheels.

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

‘dramatically higher speeds than permitted' ....................   OR    ‘not excessive’ and was within ‘tolerance levels’. ....................

well which was it ?  it can't be both.   politics interfering with the law again.

Yeah I agree. Its weasel words. Was it breaking the law (the speed limit) or not I wonder.

13 minutes ago, Ativa said:

No it doesn't. 

Edit - oh sorry, misunderstood your post, thought you meant a racing death announcement. I have no idea about the obituaries. I don't listen to those. 

Edited by La Colombe

4 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

No it doesn't. 

Edit - oh sorry, misunderstood your post, thought you meant a racing death announcement. I have no idea about the obituaries. I don't listen to those. 

Yes the obituary slot is sponsored by a company who supply relevant services.

To suggest its crass to have an advert for a funeral service for bike fans on a biking radio station is bonkers..

• Sad 1