TT 2023

0bserver

15 minutes ago, Declan said:

Don't put words in people's mouths. I'm not offended, I just think it's crass and tasteless. But say anything critical about any aspect of the TT and it triggers you, snowflake. 

I would have thought snowflakes would be anti-TT?

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

I would have thought snowflakes would be anti-TT?

There's all sorts of 'snowflakes' out there - they're basically anyone that might be offended about something you like.  You can be a snowflake for moaning about the TT because you don't want someone's head to land on your front lawn, but equally you can be a snowflake if you like the TT but are offended by criticism of it from comeovers.  It's very confusing.

8 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Yes the obituary slot is sponsored by a company who supply relevant services.

To suggest its crass to have an advert for a funeral service for bike fans on a biking radio station is bonkers..

Would it be OK for them to sponsor a race team, or to set up a stall at the Grandstand handing out business cards to folk before they go for a hot lap? Would that be crass, or OK as long as they're paying enough for the privilege?

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

There's all sorts of 'snowflakes' out there - they're basically anyone that might be offended about something you like.  You can be a snowflake for moaning about the TT because you don't want someone's head to land on your front lawn, but equally you can be a snowflake if you like the TT but are offended by criticism of it from comeovers.  It's very confusing.

Especially since I wasn’t responding to criticism of the TT anyway, just a stupid post about an advert on the radio.

Neither am I offended by criticism of the event

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It was a rally car that was modified, as much as could reasonably be done, in order to optimise it for the TT course. It was not specially built for the job at all. Its a modified road car. It is too wide to get perfect racing lines and too heavy to do anything like the speed of a bike.

If someone wanted to they could build a car that would break the lap record no problem. However it will never be allowed because the 2 wheeled fans that run the event would never want to see a car break the lap record. I reckon something along the lines of the Atom would do it. It would have to be light and narrow, basically a bike but with 4 wheels.

It would be interesting to compare them like for like, for instance overlaying the bike and car footage and data.  Higgins wasn't far off the bike record. 

A bike will always be faster accelerating and breaking.  A car will be faster round the corners (basically double the grip) and usually higher top speed (assuming it's a very fast car).  The bit I'm curious about is the gearing of the car.  Rally cars generally have pretty high gearing for faster acceleration and are usually maxed out at around 140mph. 

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Is it just offence?  I also thought it was mainly down to them being pussies?

20 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It was a rally car that was modified, as much as could reasonably be done, in order to optimise it for the TT course. It was not specially built for the job at all. Its a modified road car. It is too wide to get perfect racing lines and too heavy to do anything like the speed of a bike.

If someone wanted to they could build a car that would break the lap record no problem. However it will never be allowed because the 2 wheeled fans that run the event would never want to see a car break the lap record. I reckon something along the lines of the Atom would do it. It would have to be light and narrow, basically a bike but with 4 wheels.

An Atom doesn't have a high enough top speed. Given the number of straights, anything you want to break the record in is going to need to comfortably hit over 190, unless it has absolutely extreme corner speed like a fan car perhaps.

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

Would it be OK for them to sponsor a race team, or to set up a stall at the Grandstand handing out business cards to folk before they go for a hot lap? Would that be crass, or OK as long as they're paying enough for the privilege?

That would be crass in my opinion.  Others might disagree. What they are doing at the moment isn’t.  It’s a targeted advert aimed at fans who might die at any time for any reason.  No different to funeral businesses advertising on Classic FM or daytime TV rather than radio stations with a younger demographic or Sky Sports.

Advertising money is spent where you hit most of your demographic.  In this case it’s bike fans

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

It would be interesting to compare them like for like, for instance overlaying the bike and car footage and data.  Higgins wasn't far off the bike record. 

A bike will always be faster accelerating and breaking.  A car will be faster round the corners (basically double the grip) and usually higher top speed (assuming it's a very fast car).  The bit I'm curious about is the gearing of the car.  Rally cars generally have pretty high gearing for faster acceleration and are usually maxed out at around 140mph. 

Since when can a bike outbreak a car??

This car/bike lap record debate has been going on for at least the last forty odd years that I can remember. The bike has always come out on top. I'm no expert on this but I don't see how a car could beat a race bike, all things being equal. It would be close but round the T.T. course I can't see the car being faster. I wouldn't want them to try it either after Higgins nearly lost it at Ago's. Far too dangerous round here. 

14 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

an electric car would be quicker than a bike off the mark ,  and  low gearing for acceleration ,  at the end of the day they don't want a car to be faster than the bikes , wouldn't make good press.  not sure about now, but years ago there was a short circuit in the UK where a sidecar held the lap record over a solo machine because of the better corner speed and shorter straights of the track.

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

unless it has absolutely extreme corner speed like a fan car perhaps.

Have you seen that McMurty? 

Insane cornering speeds and it's electric.  I've seen a couple of test drives where they are completely speechless.  Your body gives out on the Gs before the grip goes. 

8 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Since when can a bike outbreak a car??

Ah ok, I've just looked further into that.  Always assumed due to less mass they would slow quicker (as in a light car slows down faster), but then again cars have extra grip and usually a bunch of extra tech assisting.  Seems there isn't much in it under ideal conditions and with high performance bikes and cars. 

7 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Nah. Breaking maybe. But not braking. 

Blaming autotext. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

This car/bike lap record debate has been going on for at least the last forty odd years that I can remember. The bike has always come out on top. I'm no expert on this but I don't see how a car could beat a race bike, all things being equal. It would be close but round the T.T. course I can't see the car being faster. I wouldn't want them to try it either after Higgins nearly lost it at Ago's. Far too dangerous round here. 

There is no question that the right car would be quicker than any of the bikes.  

If someone really put their mind to it the bike record would be hammered, but it will never happen as way too much risk if it went wrong.

• Like 1