TT 2023

0bserver

1 minute ago, Shake me up Judy said:

This car/bike lap record debate has been going on for at least the last forty odd years that I can remember. The bike has always come out on top. I'm no expert on this but I don't see how a car could beat a race bike, all things being equal. It would be close but round the T.T. course I can't see the car being faster. I wouldn't want them to try it either after Higgins nearly lost it at Ago's. Far too dangerous round here. 

If it were a time-trial from, for example, Ramsey hairpin to The Creg, then a car every time.  But in other parts of the circuit I think there are corners that are just too narrow where a bike could have an advantage.  But if specifically designed for the job, a car would beat a bike as 4WD allows better cornering and braking.  Get the power to weight ratio right and it can out-accelerate.  Aerodynamics too are better on a car - active spoilers for example, where on a bike...

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Ah ok, I've just looked further into that.  Always assumed due to less mass they would slow quicker (as in a light car slows down faster), but then again cars have extra grip and usually a bunch of extra tech assisting.  Seems there isn't much in it under ideal conditions and with high performance bikes and cars. 

Try standing at the end of Hangar straight for F1 and Moto GP.  You might revise your opinion

Just now, wrighty said:

active spoilers for example, where on a bike...

Bike aerodynamics are moving forward quickly and wings have already been tested.

The right car would still smash the bikes round  here though, as they do on the vast majority of circuits where we can actually compare times.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/yamaha-set-to-test-f1-style-rear-wing-in-portugal-motogp-test/10442163/amp/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

An Atom doesn't have a high enough top speed. Given the number of straights, anything you want to break the record in is going to need to comfortably hit over 190, unless it has absolutely extreme corner speed like a fan car perhaps.

I said like an Atom not an Atom. I agree. 

1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

This car/bike lap record debate has been going on for at least the last forty odd years that I can remember. The bike has always come out on top. I'm no expert on this but I don't see how a car could beat a race bike, all things being equal. It would be close but round the T.T. course I can't see the car being faster. I wouldn't want them to try it either after Higgins nearly lost it at Ago's. Far too dangerous round here. 

But like I said Higgin was driving a 1.5T road car. You are comparing apples with pears. A custom made car weighing not much more than a bike would be safer and faster and not more dangerous

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

Bike aerodynamics are moving forward quickly and wings have already been tested.

The right car would still smash the bikes round  here though, as they do on the vast majority of circuits where we can actually compare times.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/yamaha-set-to-test-f1-style-rear-wing-in-portugal-motogp-test/10442163/amp/

I don't think it would smash it but I am sure it would beat it. Downforce is not a big thing on the TT circuit as there isn't the same amount of time to be gained on cornering speed as there is on a circuit. There is certainly an element of it though. I think traction (i know down force helps this but it would be outweighed by not being able to get the perfect line) is a big thing accelerating and breaking. 

But like me and others have said, the organisers will never allow it. It may be rumour, but its alleged that Top Gear have asked a few times if they can give it a try and been told no.....for obvious reasons

It’s actually pretty easy to prove.

Race sims are pretty accurate now with actual drivers getting within a tenth or two off what they do on an actual circuit in the same vehicle.

The TT course is available and you can drive it in any car at home.

I am not skilled enough to do it, but I know people who can break the TT record in various different cars

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Race sims are pretty accurate now with actual drivers getting within a tenth or two off what they do on an actual circuit in the same vehicle.

I am not skilled enough to do it, but I know people who can break the TT record in various different cars

The TT course that's available does differ from the real one in a few places though. But I can beat Higgins record from a standing start in a GT3... Nowhere near the bike record in one though obviously, top speed is way too low.

7 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Ah, computer games. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Sick of it now, can't wait for it to be over. Getting stuck in never ending traffic because some clown has ditched it on the mountain causing all traffic to come through Laxey/Onchan

Just go away then.  It’s not like people don’t know it’s coming.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Sick of it now, can't wait for it to be over. Getting stuck in never ending traffic because some clown has ditched it on the mountain causing all traffic to come through Laxey/Onchan

Set off earlier.