TT 2023

0bserver

10 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Maria Costello has been withdrawn from the races on the instructions of the Chief medical officer after an incident in a practice session.   Seems a strange statement.

What’s strange about it?

She had an off, and after an assessment has been ruled unfit for the rest of the event.

Simple and self explanatory isn’t it?

Edited by Ativa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gizo said:

Wtf are you on about, the last 50 pages is you crying your eyes out at peoples different opinion of the fEsTiVaL

Can someone help me out here?

I have  noticed on a few posts some letters of a particular word(s) are caPItAliSed ( like that).

I have  tried to work out if I can ascertain that there is some meaning behind the letters that are capitalsed ( or those that are not) but have had no luck.

I am assuming this is done deliberately, not just being a quirk of the writers keyboard. Like in Gizos posting above does ETVL supposed to mean something?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Can someone help me out here?

I have  noticed on a few posts some letters of a particular word(s) are caPItAliSed ( like that).

I have  tried to work out if I can ascertain that there is some meaning behind the letters that are capitalsed ( or those that are not) but have had no luck.

I am assuming this is done deliberately, not just being a quirk of the writers keyboard. Like in Gizos posting above does ETVL supposed to mean something?

It's a fairly common bit of typographic mockery, especially seen on Twitter.  It's meant to replicate someone randomly capitalising letters implying that they are too angry, too ignorant or too careless to be able to type and communicate properly.  It's usually used to imply the views or phrases typed in this way  are completely irrational and/or based on the bizarre prejudices put forward by much of the UK media.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's a fairly common bit of typographic mockery, especially seen on Twitter.  It's meant to replicate someone randomly capitalising letters implying that they are too angry, too ignorant or too careless to be able to type and communicate properly.  It's usually used to imply the views or phrases typed in this way  are completely irrational and/or based on the bizarre prejudices put forward by much of the UK media.

Thank you for that explanation.

Seems a bit stupid to me. Especially if it’s too “subtle” for people to understand what it means

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Ativa said:

What’s strange about it?

She had an off, and after an assessment has been ruled unfit for the rest of the event.

Simple and self explanatory isn’t it?

I suspect that @hissingsid interpreted this the same as me, that there is an inference in the wording used that she has been barred by the Medical Officer, rather than withdrawing herself. 

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

At what point does human tragedies become “ a bit late” to comment on?

But people weren't commenting on it, they were saying that someone else shouldn't have mentioned it.  Rather than just ignoring it if they thought it was tasteless.

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Seems a bit stupid to me. Especially if it’s too “subtle” for people to understand what it means

But many such conventions are "subtle", especially, as in this case, if there is an element of parody involved.  People use it to indicate that the words treated that way aren't their personal view, but something they are mocking.  When we write we use all sorts of conventions (eg italics and underlining) and new ways of communicating give rise to new ones - the meaning of emojis usually have to be explained for instance.

As I say you see it a lot on Twitter and the 280-character restrictions there may also lead to such shortcuts.

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But people weren't commenting on it, they were saying that someone else shouldn't have mentioned it.  Rather than just ignoring it if they thought it was tasteless.

Well it was tasteless. 
Do you just ignore racist or homophobic comments?
There were family and friends affected by that incident at Ballaugh

If someone was to make what they thought was a humorous comment about say, the Aberfan disaster ( which was much longer ago) , but was actually tasteless should that just be ignored?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But many such conventions are "subtle", especially, as in this case, if there is an element of parody involved.  People use it to indicate that the words treated that way aren't their personal view, but something they are mocking.  When we write we use all sorts of conventions (eg italics and underlining) and new ways of communicating give rise to new ones - the meaning of emojis usually have to be explained for instance.

As I say you see it a lot on Twitter and the 280-character restrictions there may also lead to such shortcuts.

Well I don’t do Twitter so it’s all passed me by.

I don’t see why you have to put random letters in capitals but if that’s the latest thing OK.