TT 2023

0bserver

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

I was in the Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea they’d never heard of it - but they knew about Blackpool Illuminations like it was the greatest thing ever - so yeah it depends really….

Fair enough. I was in a village in the middle of Cyprus, and came across a Pub called something like “The Isle of ManTT Bar”. I went in, there was memorabilia and videos. Very nice. 

Real motorcycle enthusiasts know exactly. World wide, more people are interested in motorcycle racing than car racing. That is a fact. The reason is simple. People can easily afford an old bike to race. Cars are far more expensive to own and maintain. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

I was in the Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea they’d never heard of it - but they knew about Blackpool Illuminations like it was the greatest thing ever - so yeah it depends really….

Biggest whopper I’ve heard for a while 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, manxchester said:

It’s not a major sporting event though, if you’re not into bikes or know anyone from the Isle of Man I’d wager that you wouldn’t know it was taking place right now. I lived across for 30 years and it never crossed my radar till I moved here.

Given our transport links and accommodation capacity it's certainly the biggest sporting event we're ever going to get - by a long way. 

Accommodation is booked up a year in advance, to the point the government have to give tax relief to people opening their houses to cope with demand, ferries and planes are full - If the TT was any bigger I don't know how the extra people will get here or where they're going to stay.

The TT is the mother of all Manx success stories, its popularity has endured for well over one hundred years, it is the birthplace of the motorcycle world championship and is inexorably linked to the development of motorcycling and played a pivotable role in the history of the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer.

Some people, a shouty minority, dislike the TT. It causes disruption and there's little to like if you're not into bikes, partying, atmosphere or fun. These people will always talk it down, be dismissive of its success and make all sort of fanciful claims based on nothing but their own bigotry. Ironically the one thing they can't seem to do is ignore though, despite its insignificance, and will seek to ram their opinion down your throat whether you want to hear it or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, manxchester said:

It’s not a major sporting event though, if you’re not into bikes or know anyone from the Isle of Man I’d wager that you wouldn’t know it was taking place right now. I lived across for 30 years and it never crossed my radar till I moved here.

Well me neither, but since moving here I have watched it grow over the last forty years. With the media infatuation with the death aspect I think it has become more acknowledged and recognized as a sporting event ( albeit for the wrong reasons)

Conversely with Mark Cavendish’s success as a cyclist, cycling has a much bigger profile as a “ sport” here than it otherwise would have done.

Those people in that village that roll cheeses down a hill in an annual event probably think they are trailblazers 

2 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Paul Phillips quote - 

“The TT has been the only major sporting event in the world that I can think of that culminates in the working week. It doesn’t make sense really when you take a step back and look at it compared to all other entertainment events – sporting or otherwise.

Delusions of grandeur much?

It is not, and never will be a "major sporting event in the word"

There was much more world media interest in a cheese rolling event this week in England than the TT.

How many inane, unwanted posts have you made on an internet forum about cheese rolling in the last couple of weeks?

If the TT is not a major sporting event, and it is being held a long way from where you live - then why are you on here every day giving your bigoted opinion about it? Why does it hold such significance for you? You obviously don't like it - why not ignore it? - It shouldn't be too hard if what you say is true.

Go and watch your major international cheese rolling, and let us get on with it. 

Delusions of grandeur much? No one is interested in the opinion of a dull old Yorkshire man who doesn't like to see anyone having fun.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

You talk absolute shit , TT was on BBC1 sports section on this morning & several times during today & on all NW  itv & BBC news.

Why don’t you stick to whining about your Essex shithole?

The TT was so important that the winner of the first race was MD and it was not mentioned on any N Irish station, get a grip you idiot. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

It depends really, I've been to several places around the world and the general response when asked (Q) Where are you from? (A) "The Isle of Man" invokes the answer, "Isn't that where the TT is held?" 

It may not be constantly on the mind, but it's there in the consciousness.

The other versions is

Person: where are you from? 

Me: The Isle of Man.

Person: Where? 

Me: The Isle of Man, you know where the Bee Gees are from? 

Person: Oh, you're from Manchester!

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

The TT was so important that the winner of the first race was MD and it was not mentioned on any N Irish station, get a grip you idiot. 

Two articles about Dunlop on the front page of the Belfast Telegraph website.

But I’m sure you’re not talking absolute bollocks, oh no.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

To be fair it is mentioned by the Belfast Telegraph which is a fairly decent barometer of news in the north of Ireland... but it's far from their 'top story'. 

Screenshot_20230603-213213_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230603-213229_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

ITV4 coverage has been fantastic with great shots of racing plus island views great advertising 

Well it would be, but nobody watches it and nobody’s heard of it and all the Germans and French and Dutch are just a figment of your imagination.

The old men shitting in hedges do exist though. There’s not much to do in Sulby.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Beeching said:

To be fair it is mentioned by the Belfast Telegraph which is a fairly decent barometer of news in the north of Ireland... but it's far from their 'top story'. 

Screenshot_20230603-213213_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230603-213229_Chrome.jpg

Without wanting to negate in any way the point your are making, It is likely the Belfast Telegraph will know where you are, and will tailor your page viewing accordingly.

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

Without wanting to negate in any way the point your are making, It is likely the Belfast Telegraph will know where you are, and will tailor your page viewing accordingly.

I’m on a UK SIM- which geo-locates as London- and it’s the same:

image.thumb.png.26eb4c07fa3c644acc2f016541ce834a.png

The only other top stories are the football and that UVF terrorist taxi driver.

29 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

The TT is the mother of all Manx success stories, its popularity has endured for well over one hundred years, it is the birthplace of the motorcycle world championship and is inexorably linked to the development of motorcycling and played a pivotable role in the history of the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer.

You sound a little like a Russian agent giving an account of his visit to Salisbury Cathedral viz:

“....famous not just in Europe, but in the whole world. It’s famous for its 123-metre spire, it’s famous for its clock, the first one [of its kind] ever created in the world, which is still working.”

• Haha 1