TT 2023

0bserver

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Given our transport links and accommodation capacity it's certainly the biggest sporting event we're ever going to get - by a long way. 

Accommodation is booked up a year in advance, to the point the government have to give tax relief to people opening their houses to cope with demand, ferries and planes are full - If the TT was any bigger I don't know how the extra people will get here or where they're going to stay.

The TT is the mother of all Manx success stories, its popularity has endured for well over one hundred years, it is the birthplace of the motorcycle world championship and is inexorably linked to the development of motorcycling and played a pivotable role in the history of the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer.

Some people, a shouty minority, dislike the TT. It causes disruption and there's little to like if you're not into bikes, partying, atmosphere or fun. These people will always talk it down, be dismissive of its success and make all sort of fanciful claims based on nothing but their own bigotry. Ironically the one thing they can't seem to do is ignore though, despite its insignificance, and will seek to ram their opinion down your throat whether you want to hear it or not.

I don’t deny any of that at all. It’s obviously huge for the island and the biggest event that happens here. It’s also a huge event for people that are into road racing, what it isn’t though is a big sporting event world wide. I don’t think there’s anything wrong in acknowledging that and it just annoys me when people try to pretend it’s something that it’s not.

Edited by manxchester
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, manxchester said:

I don’t deny any of that at all. It’s obviously huge for the island and the biggest event that happens here. It’s also a huge event for people that are into road racing, what it isn’t though is a big sporting event world wide. I don’t think there’s anything wrong in acknowledging that and it just annoys me when people try to pretend it’s something that it’s not.

Sky Sports aren't exactly hammering the door down to show it live like F1. 

Instead it's streamed on some random Internet service. 

It's huge amongst those who are into it. DfE are pushing it harder and harder to the video game generation, in the name of their and their ilk's own terms and pensions but it remains niche. That's no disrespect to the competitors though - incredibly brave people all.

Has anyone heard any news on the car crash that caused the delays yesterday?

There has been quite a lot of assumption about bikes running out of talent across social media from people with none of the facts to hand.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Has anyone heard any news on the car crash that caused the delays yesterday?

There has been quite a lot of assumption about bikes running out of talent across social media from people with none of the facts to hand.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/person-injured-at-33rd-milestone-receiving-treatment/