TT 2023

0bserver

12 hours ago, manxchester said:

It’s also a huge event for people that are into road racing, what it isn’t though is a big sporting event world wide. I don’t think there’s anything wrong in acknowledging that

It’s not the Olympics or football, or even F1 or MotoGP. But I do think it’s more well-known around the world than people give it credit, certainly in countries like Spain and Germany where bikes are a big thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It was a Porsche Taycan EV that was trashed that then promptly when up in significant flames when the battery fire took hold. Apparently they were lucky it didn’t burn a hole in the tarmac it went up that well. 

i'm surprised it remained on the road to maybe burn a hole?  so much for green creds of EV vehicles.  won't be too many of those look at me virtue signalling mobiles on the roads which may identify the driver if the details were publicised.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

It’s not the Olympics or football, or even F1 or MotoGP. But I do think it’s more well-known around the world than people give it credit, certainly in countries like Spain and Germany where bikes are a big thing.

It's very well known.......in the biking community.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

... Conversely with Mark Cavendish’s success as a cyclist, cycling has a much bigger profile as a “ sport” here than it otherwise would have done..

Don't think so.

If you only moved to the island 40 years ago you probably wouldn't know, but road cycling has been a very popular participation sport since long before Mark Cavendish.  Its popularity on the island probably starting with Stuart Slack's bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games in 1958.

I was at school with Mark's dad and cycling was popular in the 1970s and 1980s way before Mark came along.  Another contempory of mine was John Purves (a couple of years younger than me at school).  He finished 4th in the 1978 Commonwealth Games, and his then wife (Marie) won the British National Road Race Championships five times (!) in the 1990s.

And Steve Joughin - who I'd forgotten.

Cyclings been big on the island for the last 60+ years...

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, manxchester said:

It’s not a major sporting event though, if you’re not into bikes or know anyone from the Isle of Man I’d wager that you wouldn’t know it was taking place right now. I lived across for 30 years and it never crossed my radar till I moved here.

I'm honestly puzzled by that.

I've lived in the UK for nearly 40 years and I'm always amazed by the number of people who know about the TT and connect it with the Isle of Man.  That's people I've worked with, people in the pub, and neighbours.

I'm not the worlds number 1 TT fan, but if you're into motor racing I'd rank it with Le Mans and the Indianapolis 500.

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Has anyone heard any news on the car crash that caused the delays yesterday?

There has been quite a lot of assumption about bikes running out of talent across social media from people with none of the facts to hand.

Like the anti TT brigade on here😂

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Don't think so.

If you only moved to the island 40 years ago you probably wouldn't know, but road cycling has been a very popular participation sport since long before Mark Cavendish.  Its popularity on the island probably starting with Stuart Slack's bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games in 1958.

I was at school with Mark's dad and cycling was popular in the 1970s and 1980s way before Mark came along.  Another contempory of mine was John Purves (a couple of years younger than me at school).  He finished 4th in the 1978 Commonwealth Games, and his then wife (Marie) won the British National Road Race Championships five times (!) in the 1990s.

And Steve Joughin - who I'd forgotten.

Cyclings been big on the island for the last 60+ years...

Nigel Dean and Steve Joughin say hello

noticed you’ve edited it now to include Steve 

Edited by Numbnuts