TT 2023

0bserver

19 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Nigel Dean and Steve Joughin say hello

noticed you’ve edited it now to include Steve 

I think(?) I actually edited it to insert the word "participation" before "sport", but I'll agree I only originally included Steve Joughin at the end as an afterthought.  I was concentrating on John Purvis and Marie Purvis as I knew John quite well and - to be honest - I think Marie was the best rider produced on the island - prior to Cav.  Joughin doesn't really register with me as I didn't know him.

Nigel Dean I did overlook.  And also - amazingly - Peter Buckley who won Commonwealth gold in 1966.

I've also only just found out something I didn't know.  In the very first running of the women's tour de france in 1955, it was won by Millie Robinson, whom Wikipedia describes as a "Manx cyclist".  Never heard of her before...

Edited by Ghost Ship

Reasons people know the Isle of Man around the world;

TT Races

Manx Cat

Tax Haven

Nigel Mansell (lived here)

The Manx Missile (Cavendish)

Peter Kennaugh

Tynwald (Oldest Continuous Parliament)

Those are in no particular order and some are more niche than others but generally the TT is one of the top things people know about the Island.

Don't forget the Island used to host much more than the TT with major cycling and rallying events being much more popular in the past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I think(?) I actually edited it to insert the word "participation" before "sport", but I'll agree I only originally included Steve Joughin at the end as an afterthought.  I was concentrating on John Purvis and Marie Purvis as I knew John quite well and - to be honest - I think Marie was the best rider produced on the island - prior to Cav.  Joughin doesn't really register with me as I didn't know him.

Nigel Dean I did overlook.  And also - amazingly - Peter Buckley who won Commonwealth gold in 1966.

I've also only just found out something I didn't know.  In the very first running of the women's tour de france in 1955, it was won by Millie Robinson, whom Wikipedia describes as a "Manx cyclist".  Never heard of her before...

Nice one , yes Millie Robinson won the first women’s Tour de France. We have been blessed with some brilliant competing Manx cyclists. Marie Purvis I remember so well in the 1992 Olympics ahead of the field by quite away , she so would have won , when she got a puncture and a few cock ups by pit crew meant she only finished 11 I think. I had the pleasure of making a meal for her and a friend she worked with years later and mentioned how upset I was watching. She was incredibly good.  But we have been blessed tbh with names above and Pete Kennaugh , Mark Christian and others. Small Island but incredible results . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Largely down to cycling week I think, where many world class riders first cut their teeth. Now sadly no more. But success breeds success too and the Island has produced more top athletes in cycling than in any other sport. It's not even close.

Agreed it’s not….Dot Tilbury deserves so many accolades for the time and effort shes put in and still is. We have so many cyclists riding for professional teams currently it’s unbelievable . And no signs of it changing anytime soon. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Reasons people know the Isle of Man around the world;

TT Races

Manx Cat

Tax Haven

Nigel Mansell (lived here)

The Manx Missile (Cavendish)

Peter Kennaugh

Tynwald (Oldest Continuous Parliament)

Those are in no particular order and some are more niche than others but generally the TT is one of the top things people know about the Island.

Don't forget the Island used to host much more than the TT with major cycling and rallying events being much more popular in the past.

It's the top thing. But still small fry. When we travel abroad I'm always impressed if foreigners have heard of the isle of man at all. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

And more records broken 😀

From the footage and photos online it looked like as many people as have been out to watch a race for a long time with a lot of places looking absolutely rammed.

I don’t think The Bungalow and mountain have been that busy for years and years

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghost Ship said:

I didn't know it either.  The iMuseum has a biography which doesn't even mention the win, perhaps because the race wasn't really taken seriously in France at the time and was dominated by British riders  And there wasn't another one  for 29 years.  But Robinson was the leading rider in Britain/France in the mid-50s.  I suspect she stopped competing because Beryl Burton (who was 13 years her junior)came along and was unbeatable from 1959 onwards.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Don't think so.

If you only moved to the island 40 years ago you probably wouldn't know, but road cycling has been a very popular participation sport since long before Mark Cavendish.  Its popularity on the island probably starting with Stuart Slack's bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games in 1958.

I was at school with Mark's dad and cycling was popular in the 1970s and 1980s way before Mark came along.  Another contempory of mine was John Purves (a couple of years younger than me at school).  He finished 4th in the 1978 Commonwealth Games, and his then wife (Marie) won the British National Road Race Championships five times (!) in the 1990s.

And Steve Joughin - who I'd forgotten.

Cyclings been big on the island for the last 60+ years...

And cheese rolling has been popular in Coopers Hill near Gloucester since 1826.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

It didn't catch fire. 

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I agree. But it didn't catch fire. If it did it was very minor

So,it didn't catch fire,but if it did catch fire,it didn't catch fire,unless it did,but only a minor fire,that didn't happen,unless it did?

Razor sharp as usual then.

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I believe it did catch fire as they were cutting the driver out. 

Do they cut people out without removing the roof these days?  I honestly thought that all extractions these days were via the roof but maybe they have a different method of the car is upside down?

I have no idea but this car definitely hasn’t had its roof removed and there is no obvious sign of a fire having occurred.

I suppose it will all become common knowledge eventually.