TT 2023

0bserver

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Northwest 200 is off, and other events in NI, cos the insurance is too high.

I take it us mugs the great manx taxpayer is stumping up to keep the TT alive?

Maybe not - IOM legislation is not necessarily the same as the UK. But one big accident with dead spectators will be the end of the TT.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

This is massive news. Will road race teams exist just for TT? What will they do for the rest of the year?

The increase is £266k - maybe, just maybe a couple of commercial sponsors? 5,000 spectators @ £50 a head = £260k, so it's maybe doable.

12 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

The increase is £266k - maybe, just maybe a couple of commercial sponsors? 5,000 spectators @ £50 a head = £260k, so it's maybe doable.

That wasnt my point though. The sport relies on having a series of races. Is the series of races now just one? How can a sport exist with just one event? How will racers keep their motivation? Why will sponsors be bothered? Why will manufacturers be bothered?

37 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That wasnt my point though. The sport relies on having a series of races. Is the series of races now just one? How can a sport exist with just one event? How will racers keep their motivation? Why will sponsors be bothered? Why will manufacturers be bothered?

Appreciated, maybe the IOM TT / Organisers should put money into the other events?

This could have the effect of increasing the TT's popularity though, in the absence of other events. Assuming of course that there is no problem with the TT finding insurance. Could IoMG self-insure it if there is an issue with commercial insurers?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

This could have the effect of increasing the TT's popularity though, in the absence of other events. Assuming of course that there is no problem with the TT finding insurance. Could IoMG self-insure it if there is an issue with commercial insurers?

Don't TT riders need accreditation or similar ? You can't just turn up with a bike.

9 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Don't TT riders need accreditation or similar ? You can't just turn up with a bike.

I was thinking along the lines of the fan base, but that's a good point. They must have means of accruing that qualification before the NW as well though, does short circuit qualification count?

Some more info on the NW cancellations

Screenshot_20230210-074201_Facebook.jpg

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

didn't road racing start with the TT ??  it was on its own once , there's only one paris dakar too but it happens.

I saw a proper row going on with one of the road racing committee’s in NI. General flouncing and resignation. Don’t believe insurance was the core of it. So things in the background clearly not rosy either. The racing teams wold obviously use the NW to test / run in their machines. It they still want to compete at the TT, they aren’t going to get much race time in advance, but it could mean the IOMTT gets record numbers. Would prefer they all had more race time before getting here personally. 

• Like 1