TT 2023

0bserver

5 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

If you're laughing at my comment Brit, you're as sick as I was beginning to suspect.

It’s perfectly possible to laugh at part of your post. Asking people to stop speculating when some people seem to be absolutely desperate to speculate and to encourage others to also speculate.

On 5/29/2023 at 8:01 AM, WTF said:

those little rubber ramps they lay cables across roads in would suffice.  or spike strips like plod use to stop tossers, they are easily moveable with added advantage of a built in expense if you can't read the signage, that should be a sufficient fine without the need for courts.

tadaa.jpg

I think there is something called health and safety that comes into play.

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Spoke to a few traders today it was very quiet for Mad Sunday or any Summer Sunday. Hope Port Erin Day goes well. 

It was really quiet in Douglas Friday and Saturday. I’m assuming most people are at the Bushy’s village but it looks like slim pickings for anyone else in town at the moment. First time in a while you could actually get an indoor seat at the Front Porch on a Saturday night. The British was largely quiet after 10PM. 

1 hour ago, Dr Beeching said:

Did they just start randomly swearing at you? 

Felt random to me probably not to him.

I was writing a poem and staring into the distance trying to find the appropriate word. He walked through my line of sight and I guess must have said hello and took offence when I didn’t acknowledge him. 

Went for a walk along the prom last night and couldn’t believe the queues to get into Bushy’s village. Decided to give it a miss and hopped on the bus for a few drinks in the Terminus Tavern. Proof indeed that the brewery are feckin useless when it comes to pubs. Was informed that all drinks had to be served in plastic glasses as per their policy. When I pointed out that people at each end of the bar had glass not plastic, I was informed that they were local. I pointed out that so was I and was given glass instead of plastic. What a Fred Karno’s outfit

24 minutes ago, Broadcasterman said:

It was really quiet in Douglas Friday and Saturday. I’m assuming most people are at the Bushy’s village but it looks like slim pickings for anyone else in town at the moment. First time in a while you could actually get an indoor seat at the Front Porch on a Saturday night. The British was largely quiet after 10PM. 

It's too early to tell yet definitively, but a number of people have made similar comments.  I wonder if there are three reasons (at least) to consider.

The first may be a drop in numbers overall.  Certainly last year seems to have been slightly down on 2019 from what little evidence we have, and the fact we never got the usual DfE bragging (or indeed any info from them at all) rather confirms that.  This year may represent a further drop, especially from the UK where economic pressure may be greatest.  It may be compensated to some extent by visitors from continental Europe - certainly I'm hearing a lot of non-English speakers and UK visitors only made up 70% of the 2019 sample.

The second thing may be a reduction in the length of stay.  To some extent this is encouraged by the new racing timetable with its trying to attract people for the weekends only.  This may keep visitor numbers up, but it will depress visitor spending (except on travel) not just because of people not being here for as long, but because a shorter visit means that people have less time to do non-racing things.

The third thing is financial pressures locally.  An awful lot of extra spending during TT comes not from visitors but from locals spending more on entertaining themselves.  If things get tighter, this may be first thing to go.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wrighty said:

Jaks was absolutely mental Saturday night. Villa gardens heaving Sunday night. 

it's like that most weekends though, one of the few remaining pubs that actually gets busy at times.

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

it's like that most weekends though, one of the few remaining pubs that actually gets busy at times.

I think that Bushy’s has cornered the market in Douglas. A lot of town wasn’t busy over the weekend but Bushy’s was absolutely rammed and there were queues up Broadway of people trying to get in. Why would you want to stand outside some shitty H&B pub when Bushy’s has got multiple venues on one site and live music on? 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I think that Bushy’s has cornered the market in Douglas. A lot of town wasn’t busy over the weekend but Bushy’s was absolutely rammed and there were queues up Broadway of people trying to get in. Why would you want to stand outside some shitty H&B pub when Bushy’s has got multiple venues on one site and live music on? 

Because you don't have to queue all the way up Broadway 😞

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Declan said:

Felt random to me probably not to him.

I was writing a poem and staring into the distance trying to find the appropriate word. He walked through my line of sight and I guess must have said hello and took offence when I didn’t acknowledge him. 

write your poem, including his lines, please.

"I was wandering lonely as a f'cking tw*t..."

• Haha 2

I've been surprised at the lack of 24hr a day open-roads course lapping by fans, in years past it used to be almost incessant, now you don't see much activity much before 9am and it's all quiet again by 6pm.