TT 2023

0bserver

6 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

road closed between Douglas corner and Ballaugh Bridge. No time given to open.

Radio announcement advised that course remains closed between Orrisdale North and Ballaugh due to "racing incident" 🙁

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

It's 2023. It's what people do. They picture themselves on faceache etc etc. I only know I cant get a message out or look at other scores. 

Well it’s not what I do.

I go to a football match or music concert whatever to enjoy it. Not to take a picture of myself at the event and send it to all and sundry who really aren’t interested ( As a recipient of such photographs they don’t hold much appeal)

( And I don’t send out pictures of the plate of food that has just been placed in front of me in a restaurant)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why are 80,000 people all trying to use their phone at the same time in the same stadium ?

For what purpose?

OK your phone didn’t work during the game, (and a  a bit before or after). It’s not the end of the world. Just watch the football. It’s what you went there for after all isn’t it ,  not to test phone network capabilities?

When I am at the football I am looking at match buildup.  I am seeing who is starting in the other matches.  I am checking odds online and probably placing a bet.  I am bantering with mates in our football whatsapp group.

Its 2023.  Incidentally I have never been to a match where 4g didn’t work.  The big stadiums all have extra capacity available for busy times.

Big events at motor racing circuits tend to have mobile masts bought in to give additional capacity.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

I think the 19 finishers in the first soap box derby proved beyond doubt the global appeal of the event 

55,000 people turned out to watch the Red Bull Soapbox race in Taiwan. Another 50,000 people watched online. 

How many people are tuning in to TT+? 

https://www.campaignasia.com/agencyportfolio/casestudy/220,red-bull--soapbox-race-brings-comedy-of-crashes-to-taiwan.aspx

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well it’s not what I do.

I go to a football match or music concert whatever to enjoy it. Not to take a picture of myself at the event and send it to all and sundry who really aren’t interested ( As a recipient of such photographs they don’t hold much appeal)

( And I don’t send out pictures of the plate of food that has just been placed in front of me in a restaurant)

Me too. But it's 2023. Young people go to football matches. They stare at their phones. I'm not condoning it. I was merely saying that it's not unusual for bandwidth to be exceeded here, or in the UK, or anywhere where there are a lot of people in one place. 

1 minute ago, Dr Beeching said:

55,000 people turned out to watch the Red Bull Soapbox race in Taiwan. Another 50,000 people watched online. 

https://www.campaignasia.com/agencyportfolio/casestudy/220,red-bull--soapbox-race-brings-comedy-of-crashes-to-taiwan.aspx

I didn’t contemplate my mockery would go this way but what a magnificent comparison- 50,000 live watching is more than our tourist figure plus same online is good - however it’s actually a massive travelling show that goes to most major cities - is actually bigger than the TT Sidecar / soapbox derby with added global TV appeal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Beeching said:

Last years Supersport race has had 2.2million views on YouTube.  Views on TT plus will be in addition to that.

This years Supersport race from the weekend has had 364k views just on YouTube so far.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

Last years Supersport race has had 2.2million views on YouTube.  Views on TT plus will be in addition to that.

This years Supersport race from the weekend has had 364k views just on YouTube so far.

364k watched it live on YouTube? 

16 minutes ago, Dr Beeching said:

This is the missing piece of the TT revenue puzzle though. It should be a massive online and subscriber draw but they make almost no attempt to tap into that audience. They have choppers in the sky and live feeds and you could probably get 50-100,000 subscribers signing up without too much effort but it seems that they just can’t get their heads around a model where nobody gets to watch the TT without spending £600 to get here and £10 for every burger.

Edited by offshoremanxman

43 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Can we please have several more pages on whether the TT qualifies as niche or not because honestly it's been fucking thrilling thus far.

It's clearly niche as it hasn't made it onto the pirate sports sites,

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

This is the missing piece of the TT revenue puzzle though. It should be a massive online and subscriber draw but they make almost no attempt to tap into that audience. They have choppers in the sky and live feeds and you could probably get 50-100,000 subscribers signing up without too much effort but it seems that they just can’t get their heads around a model where nobody gets to watch the TT without spending £600 to get here and £10 for every burger.

That's how you would run a commercial event. 

But the TT isn't that. It's a job creation scheme for the motorsport team in DfE and other various government entities.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

The Netflix trailer for the TDF has had over 500K views. It's still a month off starting. 

5 minutes ago, Dr Beeching said:

That's how you would run a commercial event. 

But the TT isn't that. It's a job creation scheme for the motorsport team in DfE and other various government entities.

I fully agree. As they’d have done that 5 years ago or more if it was really about raising revenue. At £45 each for a two week premium subscriber look in at the practices and racing for 50,000 people that would be over £2M quid. But instead they put it up for free on YouTube after the event. But they sold some hats to people who came here.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I fully agree. As they’d have done that 5 years ago or more if it was really about raising revenue. At £45 each for a two week premium subscriber look in at the practices and racing for 50,000 people that would be over £2M quid. But instead they put it up for free on YouTube after the event. But they sold some hats to people who came here.

TBH. I didn't know there was so much on YouTube. We must get some advertising revenue from that. Seems strange that its all available for free though. I was knobbling @Asthehills but the number of views is impressive. 

Edited by Happier diner

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

TBH. I didn't know there was so much on YouTube. We must get some advertising revenue from that. Seems strange that its all available for free though. I was knobbling @Asthehills but the number of views is impressive. 

Posted up after the event and free to view. The 2M views will be over the year since then to now. I doubt we make a penny off the upload. We do push the subscriber service but it’s totally after the event in most cases. Plus the “Monster Energy” connection and media spend will drive a huge number of people to the page independently.