TT 2023

0bserver

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Are we not getting paid for the TT+ subscriptions?  Surely that must make a profit for government?

We don't really know.  Content doesn't come for free and there will be considerable outgoings not just for recording and editing but also the infrastructure to provide it, process payments and so on (and how you treat VAT is another issue).  Of course this is mostly fixed cost and once you cover those, it's mostly profit, so where the tipping point is is the thing we don't know.  But, as with most entertainment-related ventures, it could be high and losses can be great as well as profits

We know from an FoI (ref: 2490877) last year that 131,135 people registered with the TT+ website and 57,020 paid the subscription fee to watch the racing.  The fee went up to £19.99 this year, though I was surprised to see how little promotion there was of it compared to 2022.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

We don't really know.  Content doesn't come for free and there will be considerable outgoings not just for recording and editing but also the infrastructure to provide it, process payments and so on (and how you treat VAT is another issue).  Of course this is mostly fixed cost and once you cover those, it's mostly profit, so where the tipping point is is the thing we don't know.  But, as with most entertainment-related ventures, it could be high and losses can be great as well as profits

We know from an FoI (ref: 2490877) last year that 131,135 people registered with the TT+ website and 57,020 paid the subscription fee to watch the racing.  The fee went up to £19.99 this year, though I was surprised to see how little promotion there was of it compared to 2022.

It isn’t promoted as highly as it could be and equally you have to say the TT retail site this year is also a bit of a mess if you want to buy any Official TT items online. Not helped by the previous franchise holder having better SEO and ranking than the official TT page so to even find the TT merchandise page via Google you have to wade through all Roy Wilson’s empty TT retail pages first which I’m sure they haven’t taken down or de-linked from Google deliberately. Little thought seems to have gone into much of the online side of things. 

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

A good chunk of it is presumably covered by the ITV 4 agreement that has always been in place.

I have no idea how the costs are split out, but a lot of the cameras were already here. Staff were already here. The helicopters were already here so yes there is an obvious cost to providing the live coverage but a large element of what is required was already in place.

• Confused 1

On 6/5/2023 at 12:05 PM, La Colombe said:

Looking at the Wiki list of Isle of Man Mountain Course Fatalities here, after the main list of dead riders there is a breakdown of deaths by nationality. England is way ahead in terms of the number of riders killed and the rest of the UK and the Isle of Man are the next biggest contributors. However, both Australia and New Zealand have lost more riders than Ireland, which is a surprise to me. Europeans, Africans and Asians all make the list. So it seems pretty fair to say that it is an international event. Although nobody from the Americas seems to have died racing on the island yet.  Most of the Manx riders on the list were killed in the Manx Grand Prix so as far as the TT is concerned the antipodeans probably edge it over the locals. 

Again, with a perusal of the Wiki list of Isle of Man Mountain Course Fatalities here, the argument that the TT is an international event is further reinforced by yesterday's fatality which seems to be the second Spanish rider killed while racing on the island. The first was Santiago Herrero who was killed at the 13th Milestone in 1970's TT event. He was more of a household name. His short career can be read about on Wiki here.  Amazing really. 

56 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

both proms are like walking through a campsite

I think they always are. Its quite hard to find a campsite this time of year. They don't do any harm do they. There were about 10 on Upper Dukes Road, some on levelling ramps. Some parked in very innovative places. I'm off Island now so don't know if they are still there or not. Its OK if they are self contained but there are a couple that are small campervans and one with a roof tent. I don't know where they go for a Eartha Kit.

Normally at Ramsey there are about 10 on the actual prom walkway and then maybe 20 or so on the roadsides

14 hours ago, display name said:

It clarifies you've seen some photos from a 3rd party you haven't named or that the content was ahead of a fire that hadn't yet occurred,which if it had,it may have been a small one. Though obviously it wasn't a consuming blaze,which is a very specific comment about the size of a fire,which you claim photographic evidence that you've seen,suggests a fire had not taken place.   I wouldn't mind that clarifying

I've a lifetime's work of seeing cars on fire at various levels. You could say I'm a subject matter expert.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think they always are. Its quite hard to find a campsite this time of year. They don't do any harm do they. There were about 10 on Upper Dukes Road, some on levelling ramps. Some parked in very innovative places. I'm off Island now so don't know if they are still there or not. Its OK if they are self contained but there are a couple that are small campervans and one with a roof tent. I don't know where they go for a Eartha Kit.

Normally at Ramsey there are about 10 on the actual prom walkway and then maybe 20 or so on the roadsides

I know.

There are far more in Ramsey than usual

I would guess about 50 parked over by the swimming pool, and another 10 or so over on the other prom.

33 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I know.

There are far more in Ramsey than usual

I would guess about 50 parked over by the swimming pool, and another 10 or so over on the other prom.

Avoiding Ramsey Commissioner's raised charges for camping on the Mooragh ground?

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

Again, with a perusal of the Wiki list of Isle of Man Mountain Course Fatalities here, the argument that the TT is an international event is further reinforced by yesterday's fatality which seems to be the second Spanish rider killed while racing on the island. The first was Santiago Herrero who was killed at the 13th Milestone in 1970's TT event. He was more of a household name. His short career can be read about on Wiki here.  Amazing really. 

Shush, nothing to see here. 

not much ‘thoughts and prayers’ from Ativa, helix and the ilk.

#Everest 

• Sad 1