TT 2023

0bserver

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I always thought it would be insurance that would kill off road racing.  If it hadn't been happening for years, there's no way the TT would go ahead - looked at from an outsider's perspective it's just mad to close the island's main roads for 2 weeks to allow bikes to race at unlimited speeds on narrow country roads with spectators sitting on the verges.

Its days are numbered I think.  The NI situation is another nail in its coffin.

You may be right, and I can see it from your perspective, even from my lifetime of proper involvement in many roles.

it would be a sad day indeed for humanity if the choice to participate in such activities is legislated against. Common sense tends to destroy everything about being human, but it doesn’t stop politicians from taking us to war!

• Like 4

There is a comment by ex Irish Road Racer Phil McCallen on the BBC website, saying how they should charge spectators for the privilege of sitting on the grass verges etc. Well the TT charges in terms of the Grandstand and TT ‘Fan Zones’. I wonder if more will be needed, a try to alleviate the need of spectators watching from certain vantage points (which may now become out of bounds to placate health and safety) and b to maximise revenue streams. 

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

There is a comment by ex Irish Road Racer Phil McCallen on the BBC website, saying how they should charge spectators for the privilege of sitting on the grass verges etc. Well the TT charges in terms of the Grandstand and TT ‘Fan Zones’. I wonder if more will be needed, a try to alleviate the need of spectators watching from certain vantage points (which may now become out of bounds to placate health and safety) and b to maximise revenue streams. 

No

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

the TT charges in the cost of getting here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

It's fooked then.

Exactly.  Is this a "The (premiership) manager has the full confidence of the board" or "the minister has the PM's full support" type of statement made shortly before a sacking/resignation/cancellation etc?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Will we still get the Bank Holiday for Senior Race Day that's not actually on Senior Race Day if there's no Senior Race on either Senior Race Day or the day the Senior Race is scheduled ?

Yes - it's still on the Friday

This should be just another bump in the road for the TT, it's weathered far worse in its time.

I'm disappointed in Northern Ireland. Insurance companies exist for one reason and one reason only, to make a profit. In my experience insurance is one of the greediest,  most unethical and profiteering industries there is.

It will be a sad day indeed if we ever resign ourselves to allowing those kind of people to dictate what we can and cannot do.

• Like 5