TT 2023

0bserver

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

TT2023

The Trackside bar area is something like 10x better than it was last year, and I would suggest 100x better than when the beer tent etc was behind the Grandstand as it had been for 100 years or whatever.

I would say the whole set up at Nobles Park/Grandstand/Pits/Paddock area is as good as anywhere in the world of motorsport. The interviews with the podium riders after the race is outstanding stuff and all part of the (free) entertainment. These interviews used to be only for the select few press/media within the grandstand building and it is good to see it opened up to the public.

The TT has a sound future, for sure.

Β 

Β 

It was fantastic up there with a great atmosphere, with families able to enjoy, plenty of choices for food/drinks with free monster energy drinks & cooled water fillers. Even the toilets were clean!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Any further info on his views?Β  Seem to have missed something.Β 

Β 

I'm "lightly" acquainted with DM and a number of other sidecar exponents, past and present and to a man they were predicting this situation 5+ years ago. Mostly all down to rising expenses, blatant abuse of regulations (sidecar competitors are nothing if not ingenious at finding "ways around things") and even lack of enforcement of those regs when they were known to be abused.

Sidecar competitors have always been the "poor relations" in the paddock, often running on a shoestring. Yet they are trying to run 3 wheel race cars with none of the sustainability or longevity regulations that are imposed in the 4 wheel world.

Moly identified that the current engines were becoming unaffordable for many/most, if not unavailable with the demise of 600 solos and approached the ACU with a proposal to run a class for twin cylinder machines which he felt would be cheaper, his choice was the KTM motor.

He pointed out that with the 600s he needed three motors with a total cost of Β£13,000+ (the Birchalls are reported to have brought 7 engines to the TT, all in such a state of tune that each will do little more than the 113 mile race distance before going pop or needing a rebuild. Plus the aforementioned availability to most. Seven speed after-market gearboxes now too at Β£6k+ a time instead of the standard six speed). For most in the sport, it's just not viable to try and be competitive with that sort of expense and has been a major contributor to the demise. It's simply not sustainable.

But the proposals need development time and expertise too and there appear to be few willing to do it so they are dropping out.

Only now do the organisers seem to be realising this situation.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I'm "lightly" acquainted with DM and a number of other sidecar exponents, past and present and to a man they were predicting this situation 5+ years ago. Mostly all down to rising expenses, blatant abuse of regulations (sidecar competitors are nothing if not ingenious at finding "ways around things") and even lack of enforcement of those regs when they were known to be abused.

Sidecar competitors have always been the "poor relations" in the paddock, often running on a shoestring. Yet they are trying to run 3 wheel race cars with none of the sustainability or longevity regulations that are imposed in the 4 wheel world.

Moly identified that the current engines were becoming unaffordable for many/most, if not unavailable with the demise of 600 solos and approached the ACU with a proposal to run a class for twin cylinder machines which he felt would be cheaper, his choice was the KTM motor.

He pointed out that with the 600s he needed three motors with a total cost of Β£13,000+ (the Birchalls are reported to have brought 7 engines to the TT, all in such a state of tune that each will do little more than the 113 mile race distance before going pop or needing a rebuild. Plus the aforementioned availability to most. Seven speed after-market gearboxes now too at Β£6k+ a time instead of the standard six speed). For most in the sport, it's just not viable to try and be competitive with that sort of expense and has been a major contributor to the demise. It's simply not sustainable.

But the proposals need development time and expertise too and there appear to be few willing to do it so they are dropping out.

Only now do the organisers seem to be realising this situation.

Call me naive but is that not a natural state of affairs for sidecars?

Β 

There's no wider manufacturer/market linkup. There's limited other series even. At what point is it not just an adrenaline fuelled equivalent to heritage horse trams for ex-Jurby residents?

22 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Call me naive but is that not a natural state of affairs for sidecars?

Β 

There's no wider manufacturer/market linkup. There's limited other series even. At what point is it not just an adrenaline fuelled equivalent to heritage horse trams for ex-Jurby residents?

I agree and the only reason now that they're part of the TT programme is their "spectacle value" which is what the TT is becoming all about.

It's no longer the place to come and try and develop a new class on your tod, it's about being here on current, competitive machinery which for many is becoming unattainable.

It's currently an evolutionary path to extinction unfortunately.

I can see the argument that the sidecars have had their day, but it would be a shame to lose them completely. They've been a huge part of the T.T.s success over all the years and given us some fantastic racing. They've been written off before. If these boys want to continue then they should get the support they need.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I can see the argument that the sidecars have had their day, but it would be a shame to lose them completely. They've been a huge part of the T.T.s success over all the years and given us some fantastic racing. They've been written off before. If these boys want to continue then they should get the support they need.

It is a wordclass event that brings in millions and has a global audience, the boys will have sponsors falling over to hand them money.