TT 2023

0bserver

The police made it quite clear that here were plenty of beautiful roads to walk on but for the duration of the one way system, not to walk on the mountain road. It’s derestricted, it’s prone to have accidents/collisions. It not the place for pedestrians. That’s pretty clear - no? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Its not the same as the M6 at all. The M6 is a motorway. Its an offence to walk or cycle on a motorway. Saying people shouldn't cycle or walk on our roads because they are unsafe seems pretty weird to me.

And for the period of TT for which the mountain section is one-way and de-restricted, my understanding is that the rules are similar to those on a UK motorway, including no push-bikes, no pedestrians.  What's weird about that? The people doing it are either too stupid to know about the rules, or so stupid that they think they should make a point by walking into oncoming motorbikes going 160mph+

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

I cycle occasionally but not a serious Lycra one but the three cyclists three abreast on Castletown bypass heading south were taking the piss on Saturday, it’s inconsiderate and dangerous. 

but two people sitting next to eacsh other in a huge car is fine ok then 

6 minutes ago, wrighty said:

And for the period of TT for which the mountain section is one-way and de-restricted, my understanding is that the rules are similar to those on a UK motorway, including no push-bikes, no pedestrians.  What's weird about that? The people doing it are either too stupid to know about the rules, or so stupid that they think they should make a point by walking into oncoming motorbikes going 160mph+

i guess the confusion could be that at the time all the racing was finished so the TT was over so no restriction anymore?  and yes i know we can still see one way signs in the photo but not from the direction  the walker was travelling.

9 minutes ago, wrighty said:

There may be two problems here.  The first is that people may assume that, because the racing and TT fortnight is over, the restrictions no longer apply, while in fact they continue on Sunday and Monday (on Tuesday the road is closed to remove signage). 

The second is that it's not clear that walking is banned (as opposed to unwise) anyway.  I couldn't find the actual order at all and all the publicity warning people off just mentions bicycles, which weren't actually banned till some years after the one-way was instituted in any case.  So it's possible walking may be legal if daft.  Though maybe not as daft as turning a section of public road into a racetrack for amateurs.

Walkers may also not see signage because the Mountain Road intersects with various footpaths and they may just be using a section of it to link between two.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It's weird that a Mountain Pass is turned into a motorcycle racing track and motorway for two weeks. But once you accept that initial decision its common sense to ban cycling and walking during that period. The TT is an extreme event, once you start from a strange position common sense will take you some odd places, like banning walking beside a country road. 

I guess communally the Island accepts the TT and the weird situations that follow. 

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

The second is that it's not clear that walking is banned (as opposed to unwise) anyway.  I couldn't find the actual order at all and all the publicity warning people off just mentions bicycles, which weren't actually banned till some years after the one-way was instituted in any case.  So it's possible walking may be legal if daft. 

Indeed. With apologies for being a bit of a bore on the issue of 'secret' law'*, I also had a hunt for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Notice which I presumed would set out details of exactly what was prohibited by the one-way-over-the-mountain restrictions. I couldn't find one. The DoI's "TT Festival 2023 ROAD CLOSURE INFORMATION" document makes no mention of restrictions on pedestrians. Why is this information so hard to find? There is little point in making rules / law if it is kept a secret. It's also not great if law is communicated by hearsay only as that tends to end up with miscommunication and misunderstanding.

I may have a bee in my bonnet here, but in week where we've seen a visitor locked up, having their property destroyed, fined £3,000 and told in court that "Ignorance of the law is no excuse or any defence", failure to provide easy access to relevant law does seem to me to be quite an important issue.

*awaiting details of the s16 Road Races Act 2016 direction / notice giving effect to temporary exemption from normal road traffic rules.

Edited by Yibble
Mainly adding links. Minor corrections.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1