TT 2023

0bserver

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Why does it matter, it'll still trump any event we have or are ever likely to have by tens of thousands. The place was buzzing as it always is TT week. This year was as busy as I've ever seen it. 

Yeah probably because you are 12!

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Perhaps we need to develop the class into something that would appeal to manufacturers and therefore increasingly punters.

Why not simply contact the manufacturers and ask them? I'm sure something could be sorted out. This isn't limited to electric bike manufacturers either, you mentioned the supertwins, a new class which could have been developed in conjunction with manufacturers and teams.

The second supertwin race was after manufacturer demand.

As for TT Zero, the only manufacturer who were interested was Honda. And that’s why it ended: you had Mugen racing themselves.

2 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

A local mobile telecoms provider have made it known to shareholders that the island had "Many less people on the island during the TT"  Than in previous years.

…and then everyone stood up and applauded. Right?

Edited by Ringy Rose

How come it takes months to work out how many peeps went to the island for the TT? You own the boats and the airport, come on how hard can it be?

Because if you base it on certain criteria - people departing or arriving between certain dates say - then those people will include both residents and off-Islanders coming for other reasons.  The only way you can really distinguish between these groups is by asking people.  Which is what the TT Visitor Survey used to do, though it's not clear if one has been done since 2019.

But that survey asked a lot of people:

image.png.e30c085ddb79c0b8d833c528ff01df6e.png

And it turned out that of those who were asked, departing between 27 May and 12 June inclusive (ie Monday Bank Holiday to the Wednesday after TT Week), 21% were local, 10% were not coming for TT, so only 69% had come for TT.  You'd need to see their sampling protocols and allocation to confirm these percentages, but clearly a lot of those travelling have nothing to do with TT.

That's particularly true of those coming by air, where TT visitors only make up a minority of those travelling.  So an increase in air traffic rather than sea may not imply a lot more TT visitors.

No It was not.

Cell phone data trumps a "buzzing" feeling hands down.

It does if it exists. Have this telecoms company released this data, or are they keeping it to themselves apart from telling one person who doesn't even live here and, coincidentally I'm sure, hates the TT and spends a lot of his time spouting shite about it on an internet forum.

I can only speak for MT, who I can tell you were certainly not surprised by how few people there were here. There were several areas on the island where my 4g wouldn't work at all despite having full signal, to the point I rang them up twice to complain. I was told that it was due to contention on the network because of the number of people here.

I'd suggest that, as usual, you're talking crap, if not perhaps you could link to the cell data which proves your point.

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

The second supertwin race was after manufacturer demand.

As for TT Zero, the only manufacturer who were interested was Honda. And that’s why it ended: you had Mugen racing themselves.

Yes I agree. It was ahead of its time. Electric motobikes are only now being manufactured and for completely different purposes than a superbike.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be talking to manufacturers to see how it could feature in the future.

3 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Less people at any one time.

More people at the end of the event which is exactly what the new schedule was meant to encourage.  It will take a few years for people to adjust and the full benefit to be seen.

But as I keep on having to point out, it's not the number of visitors that matters, it's the total spend.  Four people for three nights will spend less on average than two for seven.   If TT is justified by its economic effect on the Island, then the DfE should be trying to increase that, not dick-waving about having more people coming.

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

If TT is justified by its economic effect on the Island, then the DfE should be trying to increase that

I think that's rather short sighted. The TT has propped up the Manx tourist industry for the last 50 years and was a major contributing factor before that.

It is a huge part of Manx culture and folklore and a piece of world heritage. To speak of the event in purely financial terms does not do it justice. Granted this is why it was started, but in the intervening century or so it has become a lot more than that. To concentrate purely on how to fllece as much money out of visitors is the wrong approach IMHO. Make the experience as entertaining and enjoyable as possible and it will prevail for the next century. Chase short term gains and it will become like many other dull events elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

To speak of the event in purely financial terms does not do it justice. Granted this is why it was started, 

Not really IMO...the IOM Govt were approached because of speed restrictions in the UK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man_TT#:~:text=Motor racing began on the,Trial%2C restricted to touring automobiles.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Omobono said:

he is correct  the TT course is too tough for electric bikes  and any more then a lap is   not really   achievable at present , 

no one wants 1 lap races , there are other  electric bike races  world wide  but nothing like the challenge the TT mountain brings , give it a few more years then we might see some advancement in technology ,

even after several Honda Mugen  wins  they have never gone into production  as no one would be able to afford to buy one ,  the universities  who made up the rest of the field  have moved on to other projects now 

and they were boring  to watch  which is not what race enthusiasts want , 

Maybe they are just not dangerous enough? It's hard to market to a "most dangerous race in the world" audience when not only has nobody been killed in it, nobody as far as I know has even crashed. It's not really on brand is it? 

42 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Maybe they are just not dangerous enough? It's hard to market to a "most dangerous race in the world" audience when not only has nobody been killed in it, nobody as far as I know has even crashed. It's not really on brand is it? 

Maybe they could be used to tow chariots Ben Hur style, but add some bladed wheels too? 

Ideally there would be many of the IOM Betting Cos at the Grandstand that would enable us to bet significant sums on the new and improved E-Death Race. 

11 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Maybe they could be used to tow chariots Ben Hur style, but add some bladed wheels too? 

Ideally there would be many of the IOM Betting Cos at the Grandstand that would enable us to bet significant sums on the new and improved E-Death Race. 

Perhaps AI self driving electric bikes with some Mario Kart style power ups racing against a few old chuffs on antiques. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Not really IMO...the IOM Govt were approached because of speed restrictions in the UK.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man_TT#:~:text=Motor racing began on the,Trial%2C restricted to touring automobiles.

But the reason the races were permitted was to extend the tourist season - and the same applied later to the development of the MGP at the other end of it.