TT 2023

0bserver

Probably European influencers who would have made a huge fuss.

if they'd been regular Joes they would have got done for sure.

The police have to weigh up the publicity from things like this. Anything that may bring harm to the TT will have to be avoided.

it's not right - but it happens - all too frequently.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Speculation JW, primarily because IOM Constabulary made it very, very clear to the public at large they would prosecute....not ifs no buts..... but they didn't. So something must have happened along the line somewhere for them not to prosecute.

And there could be many innocent explanations. Perhaps it was unclear from the meta data whether or for how long the road had been closed. Maybe they didn’t know the road was part of TT, and they'd walked up a valley and there was no signage. Perhaps, taking account of all the facts, a full confession, expression of contrition, the cells were otherwise full, they were due on the next boat, there wasn’t a court available until Monday morning. Who knows? Who cares? Those would all be pragmatic reasons for the exercise of discretion to caution. Obviously if you’ve evidence of a bribe being given to influence the outcome it’s entirely different.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

The police have to weigh up the publicity from things like this. Anything that may bring harm to the TT will have to be avoided.

That sort of thought occurred to me too. Throwing these two in clink might not send out the right message to the bucket list market.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 1:12 PM, thommo2010 said:

there will be a case number 

Could I ask, generally speaking when would a case number be generated?

10 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

That sort of thought occurred to me too. Throwing these two in clink might not send out the right message to the bucket list market.

I doubt it very much.

I could believe ( but I'm not suggesting this is what happened ) a sort of relief the week is nearly over, it's gone pretty well, it's end of shift, don't want to do the paperwork demob happy type of thing happening, just about.

Why does everything have to be an ulterior motive conspiracy or corrupt or lack of due process situation where the least likely things are thought more plausible than the simple straightforward ones.

You expected one out come. They weren't hung drawn and quartered for you because the police exercised their power proportionately.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Selfie on the tt course is now number one on every instagram models to do list for 2024.

I doubt it will be, people have been on the course before and arrested, gone to court, fined/imprisoned/chucked off the Island, people still did it. Fact is 99.9% of people won't do it because it's just idiotic but there will always be people regardless of what the punishment is will trey to bend the rules. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Could I ask, generally speaking when would a case number be generated?

There'd be two.

A report incident number when police were notified and went to investigate. 

A custody record number when the custody sergeant booked them in at DPHQ when they arrived.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Sorry but that is the most ludicrous thing I have read on here for a long while, if negative publicity came into things then the police wouldn't ever deal with anyone for weed.

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Obviously if you’ve evidence of a bribe being given to influence the outcome it’s entirely different.

Why mention that? I didn't. It didn't even cross my mind. 

IOM Police have said that they will review. I believe we should be told.

From Manx Radio

The Isle of Man Constabulary has confirmed to Manx Radio that the approach taken towards this couple has sparked an ‘internal review’ - it comes after we questioned why the duo had not gone before the court.

In a statement Sergeant Charles Maloney said: "I can confirm that two individuals received formal cautions for entering onto closed roads during TT 23.

"It would not be appropriate for police to comment on a specific case.

"However I can confirm that this is not our normal approach to such offending and the decision will be subject of an internal review."

15 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Sorry but that is the most ludicrous thing I have read on here for a long while, if negative publicity came into things then the police wouldn't ever deal with anyone for weed.

Mate, the people the police pick up here for weed have little influence anywhere. 

If they ever start prosecuting all the white collar workers for the huge amounts of class A drugs they take on a daily basis then I might just accept your point. But Johnny going to work in the car with 0.006 grams? na. He's not in a position to make a fuss about anything.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They weren't hung drawn and quartered for you

I didn't want them hung drawn and quartered. Never did and never will. I was just making a suggestion about why, given the huge amounts of publicity by the police they would prosecute without exception, that they then decide to, erm, make an exception.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

Mate, the people the police pick up here for weed have little influence anywhere. 

If they ever start prosecuting all the white collar workers for the huge amounts of class A drugs they take on a daily basis then I might just accept your point. But Johnny going to work in the car with 0.006 grams? na. He's not in a position to make a fuss about anything.

Anytime it is in the news that someone has been arrested for weed there is loads of outrage, also if you know of these people with huge amounts of class A in their possession give the cops a call. 

• Like 2