TT 2023

0bserver

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Anytime it is in the news that someone has been arrested for weed there is loads of outrage, also if you know of these people with huge amounts of class A in their possession give the cops a call. 

The cops know exactly who they are. Of course they do.

Several of the law firms would be good places to start.

Everyone knows it goes on, most people don’t care.

45 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And there could be many innocent explanations. Perhaps it was unclear from the meta data whether or for how long the road had been closed. Maybe they didn’t know the road was part of TT, and they'd walked up a valley and there was no signage. Perhaps, taking account of all the facts, a full confession, expression of contrition, the cells were otherwise full, they were due on the next boat, there wasn’t a court available until Monday morning. Who knows? Who cares? Those would all be pragmatic reasons for the exercise of discretion to caution. Obviously if you’ve evidence of a bribe being given to influence the outcome it’s entirely different.

Yes everyone can see why it might be pragmatic to exercise discretion. 
But when do you apply it and when not?

It would probably be pragmatic to just let say the Johnson partygate issue rest. What’s the point in pursuing it now after these years.? Nothing will change.

South Africa has had its Truth and Reconciliation Commission,  Northern Ireland it’s Good Friday agreement.

Both of these I would say owe a lot to pragmatism but both were necessary and thus far at least have reduced the amount of bloodshed.

In these cases people may feel  ( quite legitimately) that they have had their justice  taken from them, but the bigger  issue has to be taken into account.

(I know it’s a bit of a leap  in degree from entering closed roads on the TT course and Partygate to the other examples I give but the principle is still the same)

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Addition of “ and partygate” to last para

11 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Anytime it is in the news that someone has been arrested for weed there is loads of outrage, also if you know of these people with huge amounts of class A in their possession give the cops a call. 

Anytime?  Literally every single time I go and look at IOM Online or Manx Radio at the moment, there is at least one report for someone busted for driving after having a spliff the night before and one for someone who has been busted for having 0.0000001 of a gram of weed.  It's actually daily. 

All while we push the latest bullshit propaganda for Island to be the 'ground breaking location for Medical Cannabis'.  It's actually a sick joke. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

most people don’t care.

They also don’t care about someone with 0.0006 grams of weed in the dust of their pockets - but the ones that get caught still get done. 

Easy pickings. Looks good on the stats, while, at the same time a large proportion of the wealthy population have a blind eye turned to their huge, expensive habits. 

When was the last time a high earner was in court for drug offences? 

Erm…

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Anytime?  Literally every single time I go and look at IOM Online or Manx Radio at the moment, there is at least one report for someone busted for driving after having a spliff the night before and one for someone who has been busted for having 0.0000001 of a gram of weed.  It's actually daily. 

All while we push the latest bullshit propaganda for Island to be the 'ground breaking location for Medical Cannabis'.  It's actually a sick joke. 

‘ Medical’ being the difference.

45 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

They also don’t care about someone with 0.0006 grams of weed in the dust of their pockets - but the ones that get caught still get done. 

Easy pickings. Looks good on the stats, while, at the same time a large proportion of the wealthy population have a blind eye turned to their huge, expensive habits. 

When was the last time a high earner was in court for drug offences? 

Erm…

Maybe these high earners taking all these drugs are doing it out of the sight of people.

Seriously you're looking for conspiracy where there is none. Some people get caught with drugs some people don't that's life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

I doubt it will be, people have been on the course before and arrested, gone to court, fined/imprisoned/chucked off the Island, people still did it. Fact is 99.9% of people won't do it because it's just idiotic but there will always be people regardless of what the punishment is will trey to bend the rules. 

You’re not an Instagram model. I am. I know what I’m talking about here.

The TT Course disco dancers probably had a good lawyer or maybe even an embassy official who found it easy enough - in this particular case - to wrap the police in knots.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

Maybe these high earners taking all these drugs are doing it out of the sight of people.

Seriously you're looking for conspiracy where there is none. Some people get caught with drugs some people don't that's life.

Exactly. There is no conspiracy. I’ve worked in a couple of places in Athol Street and other “ high earning” places.

I have never even heard any discussion of any personal drug taking in those places, let alone witnessed it.

No doubt some people working in these environments take illegal drugs at home or other places, as do people working in other environments do.

But the idea that these people attract less attention from the police because they happen to earn more than the average, or there is some sort of turning of a blind eye is a myth

I’d be happy to retract that if anyone can produce proof to the contrary.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Immaterial
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1