TT 2023

0bserver

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

I could, but I am not going to.  Nobody likes a grass and it would make no difference anyway.  They aren’t really doing anyone any harm

No they probably aren’t doing anyone any harm smoking a small bit of cannabis. I don’t know that though,  I don’t do it.

But to make unsubstantiated claims that the police turn a blind eye to white collar users whilst picking on others for the same offence is both a slur on white collar workers (of one I used to be) being above the law, and the police.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Added “above the law”
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

You expected one out come. They weren't hung drawn and quartered for you because the police exercised their power proportionately.

I haven't expected, nor posted any expectation on MF of any outcome, John.

What surprises me is the outcome of this particular incident in comparison to what has been handed down to transgressors of Course trespass laws in recent years.

We've had huge fines and sentences in the recent past for people who have transgressed, to include taking vehicles onto the course, perhaps inadvertently, through an open entrance or being ignorant of the course closure timings, which has been deemed to be no excuse and the full weight of the law has been felt.

Yet on this occasion it's been wilful dicking around on the closed course and taking selfies in full view of other spectators at a popular vantage point, in spite of any number of prior Police advisories warning against in general.

Result, a caution. Something has clearly changed?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No they probably aren’t doing anyone any harm smoking a small bit of cannabis. I don’t know that though,  I don’t do it.

But to make unsubstantiated claims that the police turn a blind eye to white collar users whilst picking on others for the same offence is both a slur on white collar workers (of one I used to be) being above the law, and the police.

We aren’t talking about cannabis 

3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Maybe these high earners taking all these drugs are doing it out of the sight of people.

Seriously you're looking for conspiracy where there is none. Some people get caught with drugs some people don't that's life.

It’s not conspiracy. It’s taken straight from the court findings. As Phantom stated, there are loads every week of small time class B users getting done for tiny bits of weed. 

Show me the comparison where there’s evidence of high rollers being stopped and searched and prosecuted. 

There are none. 

You’re either very naive or you’re a bizzie with an agenda. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

It’s not conspiracy. It’s taken straight from the court findings. As Phantom stated, there are loads every week of small time class B users getting done for tiny bits of weed. 

Show me the comparison where there’s evidence of high rollers being stopped and searched and prosecuted. 

There are none. 

You’re either very naive or you’re a bizzie with an agenda. 

I’m not naive, nor am I a “ bizzie”. And as a non drug taker who really doesn’t give a damn what drug’s people chose for to take ,I have no agenda whatsoever.

Do you believe it’s a class thing? Do you have evidence that none these small time class B users getting done for tiny bits or weed are so called “ high rollers”

“ High rollers” may also prefer a pint of bitter over a glass of Crystal champagne. Cannabis over crack cocaine? You are stereotyping.

These “high rollers” may be stopped and searched but not prosecuted because they haven’t got any drugs on them, like the majority of “ low rollers “

Until there is evidence to the contrary it’s just prejudice that the police treat white collar and blue collar people differently when it comes to prosecuting drug offenders.

Do you believe that people driving a newer, more expensive car are more likely to escape a speeding charge than those driving an older, less valuable vehicle?

13 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I’m not naive, nor am I a “ bizzie”. And as a non drug taker who really doesn’t give a damn what drug’s people chose for to take ,I have no agenda whatsoever.

Do you believe it’s a class thing? Do you have evidence that none these small time class B users getting done for tiny bits or weed are so called “ high rollers”

“ High rollers” may also prefer a pint of bitter over a glass of Crystal champagne. Cannabis over crack cocaine? You are stereotyping.

These “high rollers” may be stopped and searched but not prosecuted because they haven’t got any drugs on them, like the majority of “ low rollers “

Until there is evidence to the contrary it’s just prejudice that the police treat white collar and blue collar people differently when it comes to prosecuting drug offenders.

Do you believe that people driving a newer, more expensive car are more likely to escape a speeding charge than those driving an older, less valuable vehicle?

Rox didn't quote you.

20 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The people who get “caught” and prosecuted with a bit of weed generally have a list of convictions as long as their arm and the police use it as a way of punishing them again.

I you don’t know people who have been pulled and found to be over the limit with weed, or people who regularly take cocaine and don’t even register on the police radar then that says more about the circles you mix in (old people who use knives and forks to eat a burger) than anything else .

I am sorry, but to suggest that there isn’t significant drug use on island that the police turn a blind eye to really does make you very unaware of what is going on.

6 hours ago, John Wright said:

You’d have to be more specific. What procedures and due process do you think weren’t followed, on what basis? Evidence.

In fairness, the article says the following:

The Isle of Man Constabulary has confirmed to Manx Radio that the approach taken towards this couple has sparked an ‘internal review’ - it comes after we questioned why the duo had not gone before the court.

In a statement Sergeant Charles Maloney said: "I can confirm that two individuals received formal cautions for entering onto closed roads during TT 23.

"It would not be appropriate for police to comment on a specific case.

"However I can confirm that this is not our normal approach to such offending and the decision will be subject of an internal review."

So clearly at least some of the bizzies think it wasn’t dealt with as normal.

Not that I care, I think a caution is more sensible than the plod’s usual tactic of coming down like a ton of bricks on people who don’t have the money to defend themselves.

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

I you don’t know people who have been pulled and found to be over the limit with weed, or people who regularly take cocaine and don’t even register on the police radar then that says more about the circles you mix in (old people who use knives and forks to eat a burger) than anything else .

No I don’t know people (anyone). who have ( has) been pulled over and found to be over the limit with weed, or people who regularly take cocaine or don’t even register on the police radar.

What does that say about me and the circles I mix in?

That we’re all somehow a load of twats maybe?

Or maybe just have no interest in in taking drugs.

But you crack on. I imagine it’s probably easier to eat with your fingers when you’re pumped full of cocaine and the like. Less coordination required.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No I don’t know people (anyone). who have ( has) been pulled over and found to be over the limit with weed, or people who regularly take cocaine or don’t even register on the police radar.

What does that say about me and the circles I mix in?

That we’re all somehow a load of twats maybe?

Or maybe just have no interest in in taking drugs.

But you crack on. I imagine it’s probably easier to eat with your fingers when you’re pumped full of cocaine and the like. Less coordination required.

If the police tested every office worker on the island tomorrow with a drug driving swipe, what percentage do you think would fail?

I am going for at least 5 percent, possibly 10

Just now, Asthehills said:

If the police tested every office worker on the island tomorrow with a drug driving swipe, what percentage do you think would fail?

I am going to revise that to every office  worker between 25 and 45

14 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

In fairness, the article says the following:

The Isle of Man Constabulary has confirmed to Manx Radio that the approach taken towards this couple has sparked an ‘internal review’ - it comes after we questioned why the duo had not gone before the court.

In a statement Sergeant Charles Maloney said: "I can confirm that two individuals received formal cautions for entering onto closed roads during TT 23.

"It would not be appropriate for police to comment on a specific case.

"However I can confirm that this is not our normal approach to such offending and the decision will be subject of an internal review."

So clearly at least some of the bizzies think it wasn’t dealt with as normal.

Not that I care, I think a caution is more sensible than the plod’s usual tactic of coming down like a ton of bricks on people who don’t have the money to defend themselves.

Well the police made their decision, and did make clear that would not be their normal response.

I am not sure that how much money you have to defend yourself ( do we know how much money  this couple had?) should determine the action that  the police take ( not that I’m suggesting it did in this case).
They don’t say “Oh we won’t prosecute you for murder because it would cost you an arm and a leg to pay for a barrister to defend your case. (Although it would  be the CPS who decided whether the case should be brought I think)

11 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

No idea.

What about people who work in construction, retail, hospitality, etc being tested with a drug driving swipe? Would you expect the percentage to be drastically different?

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Question mark at end

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

am not sure that how much money you have to defend yourself…should determine the action that  the police take

It shouldn’t. But it does. All the time.

This is often for sensible reasons- it’s amazing how your version of the truth is more believable when an expensive advocate is advocating it for you- and partly because police officers will often “exercise discretion” when you’re the right sort of person.

I’ve no idea what happened in this case, and I’d actually agree that a caution is more sensible in many cases- but it certainly contrasts with other incidents where people have had the book thrown at them.

Lets just say it happened a lot more than people realised under Covid, the police not being arsed when it was “the right sort” not complying.