TT 2023

0bserver

3 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Lets just say it happened a lot more than people realised under Covid, the police not being arsed when it was “the right sort” not complying.

Like they weren’t arsed to go after the right sort  “ Tory toff” Boris Johnson when he didn’t comply. ( not)

Not forgetting Sunak also got a fine as a result of police investigations.

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No idea.

What about people who work in construction, retail, hospitality, etc being tested with a drug driving swipe? Would you expect the percentage to be drastically different?

No.  It would be about the same but more likely to be weed than cocaine

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Like they weren’t arsed to go after the right sort  “ Tory toff” Boris Johnson when he didn’t comply. ( not)

Not forgetting Sunak also got a fine as a result of police investigations.

Not sure why you’re talking about the UK on a Manx forum called Manx Forums.

I don’t have much (any) sympathy with the people who did get clobbered for breaching Covid rules here, but they certainly weren’t applied consistently by the police when the border staff notified them of potential breaches. And not just the Jersey care home lot.

52 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I don’t have much (any) sympathy with the people who did get clobbered for breaching Covid rules here, but they certainly weren’t applied consistently by the police when the border staff notified them of potential breaches. And not just the Jersey care home lot.

As was pretty obvious even at the time.  Of course what is less easy to see, except for odd cases like with the Jersey lot, is the people who get let off.

It just goes to show, going on to closed roads is hardly the most serious crime in the world. In fact, has there ever been an accident due to such activity? I don't think there has. A caution seems a bit harsh really but any more than that would be unfair. 

1 minute ago, La Colombe said:

It just goes to show, going on to closed roads is hardly the most serious crime in the world. In fact, has there ever been an accident due to such activity? I don't think there has. A caution seems a bit harsh really but any more than that would be unfair. 

Would you like to ride a motorcycle at 200 mph with the niggling thought that there might be a couple of slightly less than average kids running across the road. Whatever you think about TT/ MGP there should be no tolerance of even the possibility that there could be people on the course. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, La Colombe said:

Perhaps there hasn’t been an accident due to someone being on closed road is down to strict policing? Have you thought of that?

There have been instances of cars being driven the “wrong way” round the course when the one way system on the mountain has been operational. No accidents then so that’s OK.

Someone leaves the pub driving their car after drinking ten pints. Gets home without incident. Is that OK then?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Would you like to ride a motorcycle at 200 mph with the niggling thought that there might be a couple of slightly less than average kids running across the road. 

No I wouldn't. 

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Whatever you think about TT/ MGP there should be no tolerance of even the possibility that there could be people on the course. 

There's always a possibility that there could be people on the course. It's impossible to prevent that. The riders know the risks of it and nobody forces them to do it. 

Just now, La Colombe said:

No I wouldn't. 

There's always a possibility that there could be people on the course. It's impossible to prevent that. The riders know the risks of it and nobody forces them to do it. 

The possibility is lessened by strict policing and punitive fines.

And the riders have an expectation that the course will be clear of pedestrians.

The pedestrians on the closed course  also need to know the risks of being hit by a motorcyclist racer doing 200 mph both for them and the racer.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

The possibility is lessened by strict policing and punitive fines.

And the riders have an expectation that the course will be clear of pedestrians.

The pedestrians on the closed course  also need to know the risks of being hit by a motorcyclist racer doing 200 mph both for them and the racer.

Three minutes after the roads close, and several hours before the race starts? 16 minutes into a lap?

I am a huge TT fan, but to suggest what those people did caused an actual risk to anyone in bonkers.

I do obviously understand that there has to be a cut off point, but there was zero risk associated with what they did and where they did it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Three minutes after the roads close, and several hours before the race starts? 16 minutes into a lap?

I am a huge TT fan, but to suggest what those people did caused an actual risk to anyone in bonkers.

I do obviously understand that there has to be a cut off point, but there was zero risk associated with what they did and where they did it.

You don’t understand.

If going onto closed roads becomes in anyway acceptable you will get  “closed road creep” and your cut off point gets less and less until such time it does become a risk.

I’m all for ridding ourselves of unnecessary rules. But the consequences are such in this case there must be zero tolerance.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You don’t understand.

If going onto closed roads becomes in anyway acceptable you will get  “closed road creep” and your cut off point gets less and less until such time it does become a risk.

I’m all for ridding ourselves of unnecessary rules. But the consequences are such in this case there must be zero tolerance.

I do understand.  I have marshalled many times.

There was no risk on what these people did.  They were well down the road from the corner at the Creg three minutes after the road closed and 16 minutes into the lap hours before the race.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

It’s not conspiracy. It’s taken straight from the court findings. As Phantom stated, there are loads every week of small time class B users getting done for tiny bits of weed. 

Show me the comparison where there’s evidence of high rollers being stopped and searched and prosecuted. 

There are none. 

You’re either very naive or you’re a bizzie with an agenda. 

Maybe weed absolutely stinks so it's easier to stop search whereas cocaine/heroin/ketamine doesn't.

I'm far from naive I just know what happens on a daily basis. You listen to the mad conspiracy theorists