TT 2023

0bserver

11 hours ago, Lost Login said:

It is up to the police, ACU, CoC to decide how much or how little information they want to release.

On the other hand we have various parties masquerading as news organisations or journalists. There job is to report news without fear or favour, investigate etc. Those parties, in my opinion,  should "publish" the news as and when they become aware of it unless they have received from official channels and there is some moratorium as to when it can be released.

It seems to me that far to often the news organisations appear to forget that is what they are meant to be and just act like official mouth pieces of the organisations and simply wait until they can reprint a press release for fear of rocking the boat. That does not just apply to serious accidents at the TT/MGP.

I note that several posters have stated with regard to the fatality on Sunday that it has been widely or fully reported. I am not sure I agree as all that seems to have happened is that the organisers fairly standard press release has been regurgitated.  For the incident to be fully reported I would expect a news organisation to make further enquiries, interview eye witnesses and then to make its own decision as to what to publish but none appear to do that.

There was that horrible incident at the Southern 100 which many witnessed and that would have included members of the press but except for the official announcements was anything reported by the press? Now many might argue I am being ghoulish or it is not my business, but much of what is published as news is not really my business e.g. virtually any offence that ends up before the court.  To me it appears that the aim of the organisers assisted by the press is to give the impression that a fatality at the MGP or TT is little different from unexpectedly dying peacefully in your sleep. I think the reporting should be a little bit more truthful not least so that if you decide to go and watch or allow young kids to watch you are aware of the pretty traumatic things you might see, even if the possibility is low. 

I don't expect to see horrific close up pictures and I appreciate that there is a balance to be struck, but it seems at present there is a desperation to say as little as possible when a serious accident happens in the hope nobody notices and it it is quickly forgotten about. Fair enough that is the position of the organisers & supporters, but I don't that think that should be the position of the media.  

The timing of announcements following racing fatalities is largely determined by the relatives of the rider concerned. The organisers are, quite rightly, keen to allow the family time to inform whomever they feel needs to be informed, and only then is an official announcement made. No doubt they would be criticised if it came out that the first relatives heard about it was in the news.

The Southern 100 deaths were reported both in local media and on the BBC. Granted, not a lot of detail, but what more can be said until the cause of the incident is established. No doubt the outcome of the Coroner's inquest will be reported when that happens, and that depends on the completion of investigations by both the Police and the race organisers. Surely that is better than them jumping to conclusions before investigations are complete just to satisfy the public curiosity.

• Like 1

From MR..

Sad news...

'The organisers of the Manx Grand Prix have announced a rider has died following last night's qualifying session.

Ian Bainbridge from Barnard Castle was involved in an incident on the exit of Kirk Michael Village on his first lap of the session.

The 69-year-old was a regular competitor in classic racing classes, having made his debut on the Mountain Course in 2005, with his best finish coming in the 2010 Classic Senior Manx Grand Prix, when he finished 8th.'

• Sad 3

Dreadful news I will probably be shot down in flames for saying this, and I really don’t care, but I think 69 years of age is too old to be racing.   Bless this man he was probably a lot more experienced than most motor cyclists on the road and a lot safer but reactions do decline with age and with current speeds should he have been racing ?   I have now retreated behind the sofa with a hard hat on.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ADELE said:

Dreadful news I will probably be shot down in flames for saying this, and I really don’t care, but I think 69 years of age is too old to be racing.   Bless this man he was probably a lot more experienced than most motor cyclists on the road and a lot safer but reactions do decline with age and with current speeds should he have been racing ?   I have now retreated behind the sofa with a hard hat on.

I agree 100%.

13 minutes ago, ADELE said:

Yes. I'm surprised they get insurance to race at such ages.

26 minutes ago, ADELE said:

On the other hand it's probably better to lose 10 years of life than 50.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ADELE said:

It is terrible news, and a particularly bad start to the Centenary meeting. Condolences to both families, and the organisers who must be shocked and devastated by these accidents.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I suspect that you legally cannot bar people on the basis of age as long as they tick all the other boxes regarding fitness, eyesight, general health etc. It's only a few years ago that the pre-TT meeting at Billown had a competitor who was well into his eighties. Each year, they used to give him the race number that matched his age. I think he was 87 the last time he competed! 

39 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I'm not 100% sure on this but I suspect that you legally cannot bar people on the basis of age as long as they tick all the other boxes regarding fitness, eyesight, general health etc. 

TT is turning down entries on age grounds, I'm acquainted with one (previously very successful) competitor who had his entry refused on just those grounds this year. He was certainly told this, whether or not they had the balls to put it in writing, I don't know.

1 hour ago, ADELE said:

I disagree but I won’t shoot you down. You are perfectly entitled to your view, which isn’t offensive. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Nellie said:

It is terrible news, and a particularly bad start to the Centenary meeting. Condolences to both families, and the organisers who must be shocked and devastated by these accidents.

I'm not 100% sure on this but I suspect that you legally cannot bar people on the basis of age as long as they tick all the other boxes regarding fitness, eyesight, general health etc. It's only a few years ago that the pre-TT meeting at Billown had a competitor who was well into his eighties. Each year, they used to give him the race number that matched his age. I think he was 87 the last time he competed! 

Many Classic competitors are getting on a bit, they do tend to have a lot of experience but I’m sure the ravages of age don’t help if you are involved in an accident for whatever reason. These guys would be absolutely devastated if they were barred due to their age. One of their wives said to me that her husband’s life would be over if he couldn’t race any more, it’s all he’s lived for since he was a young man.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ADELE said:

I would have been really upset if my husband had said that to me but I expect she was aware that she and any family they may have had would have come second in his priorities and accepted it when she married him.

Who could know what drives us to the life partners we choose? Very basic instincts in action.

59 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Many Classic competitors are getting on a bit, they do tend to have a lot of experience but I’m sure the ravages of age don’t help if you are involved in an accident for whatever reason. These guys would be absolutely devastated if they were barred due to their age. One of their wives said to me that her husband’s life would be over if he couldn’t race any more, it’s all he’s lived for since he was a young man.

So what? There are plenty of things in my life that have been everything to me, but I've either had to stop or cut down because of life changes like family commitments or age. Let them be devastated and go and do something else.