TT 2023

0bserver

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

TT is turning down entries on age grounds, I'm acquainted with one (previously very successful) competitor who had his entry refused on just those grounds this year. He was certainly told this, whether or not they had the balls to put it in writing, I don't know.

There were quite a few guys in their 60's in the 2023 TT, so would your acquaintance have been be turned down solely on grounds of age?

In the last decade or so, many experienced TT competitors have been turned away essentially because they are no longer quick enough for the big bike classes. 

15 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Sounds like an organisational cluster fuck after the Tuesday practice - @Max Power your earlier comment saying nobody has died in the MGP since 2015 is crass - they still fucking died regardless of what you call the races - poor at best 

One of my kids told me the difference between TT and MGP (which is what everyone calls the motorbike event in late August) - and they're allowed to have an opinion since they've been here all their life, and aren't therefore a comeover.

TT is a national holiday, MGP is just a nuisance.

I agree, but have not heard it so succinctly put before.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Nellie said:

There were quite a few guys in their 60's in the 2023 TT, so would your acquaintance have been be turned down solely on grounds of age?

In the last decade or so, many experienced TT competitors have been turned away essentially because they are no longer quick enough for the big bike classes. 

Previous top sidecar competitor. He was "unimpressed" and took himself off to do a meeting on the continent instead.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Placing an arbitrary age limit seems a bit....well, arbitrary. Surely the issue is whether they are fit to compete, and the medical examination that is required in order to get a Mountain Course licence should include assessments of things like reaction time, peripheral vision, cognitive decline. There would likely be some 50yr olds who would fail and some 70yr olds who would pass. The point is it wouldn't be based on their age but on an objective assessment of their abilities.

Those things are checked for a racing licence medical exam. 

A rider was stopped last year because he appeared to be in a flustered state, it was picked up by officials who look out for this sort of thing. 

The ACU have a strict medical and other tests for competitors and those taking part in track days run under their regulations , it is unfair to discriminate against anyone on the grounds of age , if they pass the fitness and eyesight tests and can  perform to the qualifying speeds , then there should be  no problem if they wish to take part in a race , 

age also brings much experience  caution  ,and generally less risk of a serious accident , lets wait until we know the  full circumstances surrounding  the unfortunate incident before jumping to the wrong conclusions  ,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

You mean person of course😁

Just an observation. Fit is not the same as capable. As you age your reaction time slows proportionally. As does your peripheral vision. That's why there are so many old geezers tootling around and getting in the way on the roads and the supermarket isles. So hivibes keeps telling us.

Its not employment so a higher age limit could be set AFAIK.

TBH - 69 doesn't sit comfortable with me. Makes my back ache and I struggle for breath 

With classic racing, the bike is often older than the rider. They can be very fickle and unreliable. Many great racers have succumbed due to machine failure. 
we do not yet know what has happened in this case. However, to blame the rider’s age as the cause is crass. 
I am nearly 62 and can pretty much guarantee that my hand / eye coordination and reaction times are about as good as it gets. Mainly due to racing, but not motorcycles. 

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Omobono said:

The ACU have a strict medical and other tests for competitors and those taking part in track days run under their regulations , it is unfair to discriminate against anyone on the grounds of age , if they pass the fitness and eyesight tests and can  perform to the qualifying speeds , then there should be  no problem if they wish to take part in a race , 

age also brings much experience  caution  ,and generally less risk of a serious accident , lets wait until we know the  full circumstances surrounding  the unfortunate incident before jumping to the wrong conclusions  ,

Age is not a reason to bar someone from doing any type of competition but reaction times should be.

Set up a test of reaction times and let the peeps who pass compete and the others not.

FYI i did a sport where the best age was 24 to 27 due to the need for quick reactions.

Sending pensioners out to do 100mph plus laps is just a way of trying to get a life insurance pay-out and not be blocked by a suicide clause.

28 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I am nearly 62 and can pretty much guarantee that my hand / eye coordination and reaction times are about as good as it gets

As you get older, you get slower. There is surely any amount of data about this on the Internet.

After 25 you are on the way down (or up, in the case of reaction times).

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

As you get older, you get slower. There is surely any amount of data about this on the Internet.

After 25 you are on the way down (or up, in the case of reaction times).

There is, but the difference between 25 and 70 is perhaps less stark than one would assume.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Cambon said:

I am nearly 62 and can pretty much guarantee that my hand / eye coordination and reaction times are about as good as it gets. Mainly due to racing, but not motorcycles. 

FFS. Totally delusional is the take on that statement.

You may think you are as  quick as you "were" if you really were quick, but you are not

Your brain getting older may tell you are okay but you are really not.

It is a classic case of "the older I get - the better I was................"

No shame in that, it is how we as humans cope with aging.

Edited by Blade Runner

4 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Another poster that has not done competitive physical sport.

Why make a stupid incorrect assumption? Could've just asked me.

The differences just aren't as stark as popular opinion would have you believe:

F3.large.jpg

From the eSports world there was also an interesting study of Starcraft II players (I'm sure some old person will be along to comment about how eSports are completely different and not comparable for some made-up reason), where reaction time was more closely linked to skill level than age. Top-tier 45 year old players were markedly quicker than even very-high tier 20 year old players.

f5N2m4T.jpg

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Why make a stupid incorrect assumption? Could've just asked me.

The differences just aren't as stark as popular opinion would have you believe:

F3.large.jpg

From the eSports world there was also an interesting study of Starcraft II players (I'm sure some old person will be along to comment about how eSports are completely different and not comparable for some made-up reason), where reaction time was more closely linked to skill level than age. Top-tier 45 year old players were markedly quicker than even very-high tier 20 year old players.

f5N2m4T.jpg

e "sports" 

Snigger..........

How fast your fingers react is a whole different ball game as to how fast your whole body can.

You obviously don't have a physical sport reference you have done, so I will stop replying to you.

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blade Runner said:

e "sports" 

Snigger..........

If you think reaction times aren't relevant to eSports you're a moron. But sure, ignore the rest of the post that demonstrates that you're incorrect - I wasn't expecting a productive discussion out of you anyway.

• Like 4