TT 2023

0bserver

I get quite worked up over the way things worked out. Essentially what should be totally simple was turned into a completely untenable mess which no commercial enterprise could accept.

As I see it the government owns an asset (the TT logo). In exchange for a reasonable price they can license the use of that to an organisation to use on merchandise. The risk/reward lies with the licencee whilst the licensor get the benefit of a healthy amount of money.

Certainly the resulting contract should have a few conditions. For instance it seems reasonable that the licensor should approve the designs.  The licensee would want some protection in the event that the event did not proceed.

I recon the contract could be one piece of A4 paper,  certainly no more than 5. The initial draft contract was over 50 pages. Government wanted to micro control everything. 

We have all witnessed the result. Heads should be rolling. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I get quite worked up over the way things worked out. Essentially what should be totally simple was turned into a completely untenable mess which no commercial enterprise could accept.

As I see it the government owns an asset (the TT logo). In exchange for a reasonable price they can license the use of that to an organisation to use on merchandise. The risk/reward lies with the licencee whilst the licensor get the benefit of a healthy amount of money.

Certainly the resulting contract should have a few conditions. For instance it seems reasonable that the licensor should approve the designs.  The licensee would want some protection in the event that the event did not proceed.

I recon the contract could be one piece of A4 paper,  certainly no more than 5. The initial draft contract was over 50 pages. Government wanted to micro control everything. 

Civil servants with not only no real world business acumen but also no grassroots connection, participation or enthusiasm in/for the sport/event.

In short, Govt suits trying to be businessmen, perhaps even for their own gain (Mr 5%, for example).

There needs to be an investigation and a thorough one at that. Maybe bring in the Plod too.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

3 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I think I've missed something along the way... who is "Mr 5%" and how did he get this nickname? 

PP…. you can work it out from that I’m sure . Vision 9 think it was the certain person was to get 5% of the contract. 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Zarley said:

I think I've missed something along the way... who is "Mr 5%" and how did he get this nickname? 

There are previous topics discussing this from years back - I've linked to a particular point, but the whole topic has more information.  

One of the real problems is that there has been the development of a convention where politicians and journalists believe that they are unable to mention individual civil servants by name unless somehow authorised by a press release or whatever.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There are previous topics discussing this from years back - I've linked to a particular point, but the whole topic has more information.  

One of the real problems is that there has been the development of a convention where politicians and journalists believe that they are unable to mention individual civil servants by name unless somehow authorised by a press release or whatever.  

Thanks, Roger. I'd forgotten about that particular fiasco. 

12 hours ago, NoTail said:

I agree with you but if Phillips put it on one piece it wouldn’t make his 70k plus overtime look worth it and his team of 50k plus, mate being needed.  Has anyone seen a backbencher ask questions in respect of money wasted, debt incurred and impact on local trader and employees.  
I bet not one of the MHKs dare. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Civil servants with not only no real world business acumen but also no grassroots connection, participation or enthusiasm in/for the sport/event.

In short, Govt suits trying to be businessmen, perhaps even for their own gain (Mr 5%, for example).

There needs to be an investigation and a thorough one at that. Maybe bring in the Plod too.

Mr 5% doesn’t even put what he did before (his civil service post) he was a bank teller then fast paced with no previous experience other than a political (give it a go racer) opening doors for him.
Like any useless CS (because good ones are kept down to support useless ones) he has zig zagged up the salary ladder.  Strange that his CV drops off over 10yrs of his work life, not that I am judging if he was unemployed. 

Mr 5% can running a company he is CEO of and work full time is bound to drop balls doing 2 jobs separately OR does he?  Never met the bloke but he likes to advertise his role and status so not sure why no one can mention his name. 

14 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

I agree with you but if Phillips put it on one piece it wouldn’t make his 70k plus overtime look worth it and his team of 50k plus, mate being needed.  Has anyone seen a backbencher ask questions in respect of money wasted, debt incurred and impact on local trader and employees.  
I bet not one of the MHKs dare. 

We need consider that

1) the decisions made by this collective led directly to the demise of a reputable, established local business partner to the TT, with the knock on to the local employment and the economy.

2) that they decided to get the TT into bed with an off-island concern of dubious financial standing and then tried to cover it up when it became apparent that all was less than above board

3) that the decisions made in respect of (2) have left a reported £160k shortfall to Govt and local businesses which may never be recovered.

Not to even mention that the merchandise this year was overpriced shite.

Some or all of these self-serving tossers need their P45s and in any other world, they'd be issued them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Brilliant coverage for the TT and the island in General on 60 minutes on CBS at the weekend.

Hopefully a few more potential visitors now know about the island who would have never know. We existed if it wasn’t for the races.

Shame there’ll not be enough hotel rooms for the swarm of new American visitors to stay in during TT fortnight.

• Like 1