TT 2023

0bserver

41 minutes ago, wrighty said:

My personal preference would be that some form of festival of motorcycling continues - the island has a buzz about it you don't see any other time - but the quest for ever faster laps should stop, it should be made safer, and sidecars should be scrapped.

I wonder if the Island TT "buzz" (albeit welcomed by most) is now playing second fiddle to the pursuit of marketable rights? I think the endless pursuit of faster laps by both solos and sidecars is simply seen as a means of increasing the marketable spectacle = more revenue, although this is not limited to the TT only.

It's a short-term, short-sighted policy that will damage the event's prospects, whether they be medium or long term, by creating the sort of difficulties that we are already seeing now IMHO.

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I wasn't asking for your personal preference, I thought as an experienced watcher of the establishment here you might have some insight into how it's going to pan out.

Personally I think its days are numbered, and the Irish issue has reduced that number.  My personal preference would be that some form of festival of motorcycling continues - the island has a buzz about it you don't see any other time - but the quest for ever faster laps should stop, it should be made safer, and sidecars should be scrapped.

everythings days are numbered from inception , they don't usually end in line with doom monger predictions though.

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I wasn't asking for your personal preference, I thought as an experienced watcher of the establishment here you might have some insight into how it's going to pan out.

Personally I think its days are numbered, and the Irish issue has reduced that number.  My personal preference would be that some form of festival of motorcycling continues - the island has a buzz about it you don't see any other time - but the quest for ever faster laps should stop, it should be made safer, and sidecars should be scrapped.

I stopped having anything to do with, or thinking about,  the TT 25+ years ago.

It’s emotive.

You’ve seen and had to deal with consequences.

I had three or four years of inquests representing families or organisers. I saw the photos. I just said to myself, stop, enough, I never want to see that again.

But that was my personal view about what I wanted to do.

I won’t express a view about it’s future.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

I stopped having anything to do with, or thinking about,  the TT 25+ years ago.

It’s emotive.

You’ve seen and had to deal with consequences.

I had three or four years of inquests representing families or organisers. I saw the photos. I just said to myself, stop, enough, I never want to see that again.

But that was my personal view about what I wanted to do.

I won’t express a view about it’s future.

Totally understandable. 

• Like 1

It does not really matter what anybody’s views on the TT are and how long they think or wish it to go on. Events and the realities of financing an event for whatever the future audience for it is, will determine that. 
The current position is that DfE have signed up to a 500,000 visitor target without having a tangible strategy for achieving it. Removing the current motorcycle event attendees from our visitor numbers will simply make that target more unachievable. So the financing will go on, as long as insurers are willing to accept the risk. It might be that insurers will determine the longevity of the event, rather than enthusiasts, haters or politicians. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joebean said:

The current position is that DfE have signed up to a 500,000 visitor target without having a tangible strategy for achieving it. Removing the current motorcycle event attendees from our visitor numbers will simply make that target more unachievable. So the financing will go on, as long as insurers are willing to accept the risk. It might be that insurers will determine the longevity of the event, rather than enthusiasts, haters or politicians. 

Spot on.

Add the fact that the current motorsports team is out of control and seemingly unaccountable in terms of whether or not they stick to budgets and you have pretty much a blank cheque for insurance payments. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Itsmeee said:

Spot on.

Add the fact that the current motorsports team is out of control and seemingly unaccountable in terms of whether or not they stick to budgets and you have pretty much a blank cheque for insurance payments. 

That aligns with what a mate on the rock told me this week.

The motorsports lot have been employing builder type outfits without any tender process,  many  £,000's  involved......

On 2/15/2023 at 3:15 PM, Non-Believer said:

I think the endless pursuit of faster laps by both solos and sidecars is simply seen as a means of increasing the marketable spectacle = more revenue, although this is not limited to the TT only.

It’s a time trial - fastest overall race speed (lowest time, fastest pace) wins. How, therefore, can competitors not chase the fastest (consistent) laps? 

1 hour ago, Steve_Christian said:

It’s a time trial - fastest overall race speed (lowest time, fastest pace) wins. How, therefore, can competitors not chase the fastest (consistent) laps? 

The organisers could limit the machines, like they do in F1 all the time, in the interests of safety. 

6 hours ago, Steve_Christian said:

True. But MD can lap a 600 at 130mph. How fast is a restricted F1 car’s top speed? 

It’s not just power that can be limited in the interests of safety. F1 has all sorts of rules regarding aerodynamics, weight, fuel capacity, fuel type, tyres etc.

If the TT was organised with safety in mind there’d be regulation changes each year limiting the speed, improving stability, and improving the ‘track’, rather than pushing to be the first man with ‘balls of steel’ to average 140mph. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

It’s not just power that can be limited in the interests of safety. F1 has all sorts of rules regarding aerodynamics, weight, fuel capacity, fuel type, tyres etc.

If the TT was organised with safety in mind there’d be regulation changes each year limiting the speed, improving stability, and improving the ‘track’, rather than pushing to be the first man with ‘balls of steel’ to average 140mph. 

F1 - 218.5 mph apparently. The reductions in power is clearly working. Definitely we should implement this for the TT and make the bikes faster…