TT 2023

0bserver

It is clear that the proposed schedule for 2023 has been designed purely for economic and financial reasons, to try and generate a money-spinning extra weekend.

But it has all the potential to let everyone down; riders, sponsors, visitors, residents.

To me, the fundamental issue is that with two extra races 'the resources' required to run the race will be too stretched.

'Good weather' is effectively a resource. History shows that we don't get enough of it in TT Week. There will be short notice changes. Have they looked at the historical weather? Apart from 2018, in every year I can recall, the schedule has been disrupted and the rest days have been used. If you remove a rest day, some flexibility is immediately lost. Now they require perfect weather to race, and rightly so, it has to be recognised by the organisers that the chances that they will be able to run the schedule, as advertised, is slim.

Marshals and officials are a scarce resource. If you demand too much, some will walk, or simply be unable to commit.

The much more liberal use of red flags also creates a resourcing issue. I fully understand that there are reasons for this, but it has to be recognised that if you are going to use the red flags in this way, you will lose time and the window for both practice and race opportunities will be shortened.

Every time a red flag is used, time is lost, laps are wiped off the race duration and riders and spectators are short changed. Is it now realistic to promote, and to expect to be able to run, 6 and 4 laps races? I know they managed two 6 lap Superbike races, but was that more luck than anything else. None of the other races were run to their full advertised length.

Then, if you increase the number of races from 8 to 10, you increase the risk of serious accidents by 25% with the pressure this puts on medical resources.

I suspect that none of this has been considered, at least in any scientific, or measurable, way by the DoE people. They are simply trying to do too much, with scarce resources, and for all the wrong reasons.

• Like 4

sadly the effect  the change in schedule will have on the  local population who are not interested in the racing ,appears not to have been taken into consideration , tying people down for days on end ,and preventing them from travel or shopping   is a big turnoff ,plus ,a great inconvenience , the old formula worked and  you could operate  around the  road closures , 

also there is no contingency in the new programme  ,trying to cram  in too much ,and then being faced  with delays  by weather or other issues , is detrimental  both to locals , the Marshals ,officials and everyone else  involved  

all I see in the new schedule is an opportunity to coral more people into the fan zone at the grandstand , a captive audience , which is detrimental to the retail and hospitality sector in the rest of the island ,

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 9:50 AM, Roxanne said:

The fans weren’t happy. Not so much that the system had been changed. They knew that the risk of having those kids so close to the bikes wasn’t  sustainable anymore.

They just felt that the old boards could have been left up as a memorial to the old system - or - even displayed elsewhere. They weren’t happy that they were removed and no one seemed to know where they had gone either! 

The old boards would have been fooked when that tree blew over in one of the storems

• 2 weeks later...

David 'Man Of The People of North Douglas' Ashford has voiced concerns that government need to balance the needs of the local community with those of the racing. 

He said ‘The TT runs on an awful lot of good will of local residents and if we get the balance wrong that goodwill could very quickly dissipate.’

Does he have a point? It seems like the Southern 100 racing people aren't too pleased with the new plans. 

https://gef.im/2022/06/22/will-tt-goodwill-runout/

19 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

In my experience of both individually- a marriage of egos of Paul Phillips and Rob C is an absolute clustefuck of hot air, nonsense ideas, and self importance - it won’t end well

Phillips is far more powerful and switched on than Rob ever will be. Only one winner there.

The whole "festival" needs to be pulled apart and put back together again - into something like a one week compact event. Think about it - it would make it more attractive for more people to come for the whole week (many bikers I know now come for an average of 4 days because of the cost), the number of races (and deaths/life changing injuries) could be reduced, the inconvenience to the residents would be reduced, the overall net income to the island would be the same, if not better - not to mention the reduction in strain on infrastructure, public services, emergency services....

The problem with people like Rob Callister is that he still has his head in the clouds (or cuckoo land). Let me tell you something Rob - WE AIN'T GOING TO GET 500,000 VISITORS A YEAR, EVER. So, I do wish him and the other numptys who believe that would just stop. The TT is never going to be what it was say 20 years ago. In more recent times the demographic visiting the TT has aged by at least 10 years. A group of lads who I used to put up have said they won't come anymore because of the cost, the bad taste left by the deaths and the fact they can do 3-4 Superbike weekends for the same cost as coming here....

Basically, we just need to get real and wake up to reality. COVID may have only been for 2 years, but it has changed the perspective on life for many.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

The whole "festival" needs to be pulled apart and put back together again - into something like a one week compact event. Think about it - it would make it more attractive for more people to come for the whole week (many bikers I know now come for an average of 4 days because of the cost), the number of races (and deaths/life changing injuries) could be reduced, the inconvenience to the residents would be reduced, the overall net income to the island would be the same, if not better - not to mention the reduction in strain on infrastructure, public services, emergency services....

The problem with people like Rob Callister is that he still has his head in the clouds (or cuckoo land). Let me tell you something Rob - WE AIN'T GOING TO GET 500,000 VISITORS A YEAR, EVER. So, I do wish him and the other numptys who believe that would just stop. The TT is never going to be what it was say 20 years ago. In more recent times the demographic visiting the TT has aged by at least 10 years. A group of lads who I used to put up have said they won't come anymore because of the cost, the bad taste left by the deaths and the fact they can do 3-4 Superbike weekends for the same cost as coming here....

Basically, we just need to get real and wake up to reality. COVID may have only been for 2 years, but it has changed the perspective on life for many.

bollocks,   it would halve the stay/income for the hotels etc, we can't double the services for half the time.