TT 2023

0bserver

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Racers, their crews and there other hangers on. Tucked up in bed by 11 enjoying a peaceful nights sleep? Not being disturbed by music that finishes at 11.

Jeez. Either times have changed and I am out of touch, or may its you. One of us is though

Times have changed dude.  Just look what a drag race used to be compared to now! 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Times have changed dude.  Just look what a drag race used to be compared to now! 

Yeah. The ones I saw in the bottom bar at the Woodie at kicking out time must have been the odd (30 or so) ones out!

Edited by Happier diner

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah. The ones I saw in the bottom bar at the Woodie at kicking out time must have been the odd (30 or so) ones out!

Maybe all the Queens might show up at Ramsey Sprint and try and appropriate the whole event for Pride? 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Racers, their crews and there other hangers on. Tucked up in bed by 11 enjoying a peaceful nights sleep? Not being disturbed by music that finishes at 11.

Jeez. Either times have changed and I am out of touch, or may its you. One of us is though

I don't consider myself out of touch, I enjoy live music and the atmosphere at the grandstand, but I'm not so selfish as to not consider others, whether it be residents, competitors or visitors. As I say, it's probably more driven by costs than anything else, I could be wrong? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I don't consider myself out of touch, I enjoy live music and the atmosphere at the grandstand, but I'm not so selfish as to not consider others, whether it be residents, competitors or visitors. As I say, it's probably more driven by costs than anything else, I could be wrong? 

I think you are wrong. No offence. AFAIK Okells arranged all the acts. Like anyone who wants to sell copious amounts of beer, the cost of a band is an investment. Its not a net cost.

It seems strange to unselfishly consider a handful of local residents (who are probably outnumbered by those who don't object) when it comes to live music, but don't give a hoot about the thousands of residents who you are so selfish as to not consider for the rest of the 2 weeks listening to the sounds of motorbikes (racers and visitors).

TBH I am tolerant of both. But someone here seems to have double standards. 

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I think you are wrong. No offence. AFAIK Okells arranged all the acts. Like anyone who wants to sell copious amounts of beer, the cost of a band is an investment. Its not a net cost.

It seems strange to unselfishly consider a handful of local residents (who are probably outnumbered by those who don't object) when it comes to live music, but don't give a hoot about the thousands of residents who you are so selfish as to not consider for the rest of the 2 weeks listening to the sounds of motorbikes (racers and visitors).

TBH I am tolerant of both. But someone here seems to have double standards. 

Okells didn't organise the acts. 

I can't see this being at the behest of a few local residents. I live in the area and heard no complaints, nobody knocking on the door with a petition in hand. I work at the TT and MGP, sometimes more that 12 hours a day, the entertainment didn't affect me at all. I leave my car at the house and ride a scooter to the grandstand as I'm disabled. I was too knackered to spend much time at the entertainment, but I wouldn't begrudge it to anyone. I was pointing out the downsides of things to a few groups but I have no real evidence of it, other than parking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I wonder if this is really driven by the residents - the DfE lot don't normally bother to consider their feelings.  Note that the ban is only for live music.  More likely someone has decided they can 'save' money by using recorded and this won't have any effect on the experience or the numbers coming.

I wonder too. There is live music all over the Island at TT week and plenty of residents get to hear it every night,, but as far as I know, only behind the grandstand is funded by IOM government, which does make me wonder...

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

This is probably true, but one thing to consider are competitors and teams trying to get rest before racing the following day! I think this was a point raised last year?

As far as parking is concerned, the races may place cars outside properties during the day, but not at night. Disabled residents become prisoners when they can't access their vehicles. I'm not sure that these are considerations anyway. It's probably more down to costs?

A disabled resident would have a marked disabled spot outside their house if they didn’t have a drive wouldn’t they?

27 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Okells didn't organise the acts. 

I can't see this being at the behest of a few local residents. I live in the area and heard no complaints, nobody knocking on the door with a petition in hand. I work at the TT and MGP, sometimes more that 12 hours a day, the entertainment didn't affect me at all. I leave my car at the house and ride a scooter to the grandstand as I'm disabled. I was too knackered to spend much time at the entertainment, but I wouldn't begrudge it to anyone. I was pointing out the downsides of things to a few groups but I have no real evidence of it, other than parking. 

Fair enough. That's quite interesting. Would government fund the acts at the grandstand but not the bushys tent. Don't tell me they fund that too?

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Fair enough. That's quite interesting. Would government fund the acts at the grandstand but not the bushys tent. Don't tell me they fund that too?

Because they’re two different business models. Grandstand was government run, with H&B subcontracted to operate the bars. Bushy’s are granted a licence ( temporary tenancy )) to operate the village out of the Villa and promote, and run/put on the whole thing.

I think we are seeing the effect of financial squeeze. Government won’t be paying for/facilitating lots of things in future. It’ll all be up to operators ( like the fun fair ) to stand on its own two feet, or things like hospitality at the grandstand will be franchised out in exchange for a fee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Deffo financially motivated. I’m sure the space created by a lack of a stage will be used.