TT 2023

0bserver

9 minutes ago, Gizo said:

And yet the government play ‘promoter’ at the villa with a huge financial loss. 

They’ve been trying to offload the VG for years. Pay a fixed annual fee to outside managers plus arts council underwriting for infrequent symphony/ballet/ opera 

40 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Because they’re two different business models. Grandstand was government run, with H&B subcontracted to operate the bars. Bushy’s are granted a licence ( temporary tenancy )) to operate the village out of the Villa and promote, and run/put on the whole thing.

I think we are seeing the effect of financial squeeze. Government won’t be paying for/facilitating lots of things in future. It’ll all be up to operators ( like the fun fair ) to stand on its own two feet, or things like hospitality at the grandstand will be franchised out in exchange for a fee.

The different business models I get. And I didn't know that the acts were paid for by government. However H&B more than just operate the bars. They must be incentivised to sell as they are mad keen and it's all their own stuff. They even get beer canned because there is no glass allowed.

I would imagine that they have to pay for the privilege, rather than be paid. Sure the bars themselves might be provided by the TT operators. 

Having no entertainment is sure to make that incentive less and the amount they make less and hence the amount they are prepared to pay for the privilege less.

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

The different business models I get. And I didn't know that the acts were paid for by government. However H&B more than just operate the bars. They must be incentivised to sell as they are mad keen and it's all their own stuff. They even get beer canned because there is no glass allowed.

I would imagine that they have to pay for the privilege, rather than be paid. Sure the bars themselves might be provided by the TT operators. 

Having no entertainment is sure to make that incentive less and the amount they make less and hence the amount they are prepared to pay for the privilege less.

I think you and I have a different understanding of “operate the bars”.

Who do you think are the “TT operators”?

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

I think you and I have a different understanding of “operate the bars”.

Who do you think are the “TT operators”?

Perhaps manage would be a better word than operate. I still think there is more to it than that. I still think it will affect the viability of providing bars and I still think it's a crap decision....which is the real point.

25 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Perhaps manage would be a better word than operate. I still think there is more to it than that. I still think it will affect the viability of providing bars and I still think it's a crap decision....which is the real point.

I think H&B operate, rather than manage.

27 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The ACU

That May be true of the races, but not necessarily things like Nobles Park, paddock, hospitality.

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I have just read a number of FB posts regarding the entertainment, it appears that there were a lot of complaints from teams and riders about the noise and aftermath of the music around the paddock last year!

Unlucky.  Put some earplugs in.

Without the fans and the whole island accommodating then they would have use of our roads, or the fame some of they enjoy.

The music up there made the fan zone something really enjoyable last year

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Unlucky.  Put some earplugs in.

Without the fans and the whole island accommodating then they would have use of our roads, or the fame some of they enjoy.

The music up there made the fan zone something really enjoyable last year

Hardly, the main feature of the TT is the racing, riders getting insufficient rest is a safety issue. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

The Shuttle Bus idea is a winner,hopefully doing a circular route between the Sea Terminal and St Ninians area with stops along the Prom,I would easily pay up to £4 for a single journey.Ive been at every TT since 1978 and its a thought trailing up Broadway with a Barrel of beer( having drunk it first) in your sixties. I think Laxey has this type of bus, to the beach in the summer?

Being the type of person who will willingly pay up to £4 for a bus journey is what the island needs more of, to keep it and the TT going.

I tip my hat to you sir.

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Hardly, the main feature of the TT is the racing, riders getting insufficient rest is a safety issue. 

Are the decent riders still sleeping/ staying in the pits? Really?

What about a decent hotel?

Sorry, I forgot, the IOM does not really have any 🙂