TT 2023

0bserver

9 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

I think it was very good at explaining why the riders come back year after year knowing that some of them are going to die

It was. I liked the way he was able to keep his own experiences away from the event as a whole. It’s not for him any more and that’s fine but just because it isn’t, he wasn’t ranting that everyone else should feel the same. 

8 hours ago, HeliX said:

It was hard to listen to him getting the length of the course wrong, the names of the corners wrong, and not correcting his hosts understanding of speeds (250mph??).

But yeah the other thing too I guess.

That was pretty pants I have to admit. 

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

It’s not really government’s responsibility to provide additional entertainment around the TT. The opportunity is there for people to organise events on a business footing if they feel it’s viable?

But they are responsible for the VIlla and the entertainment (or lack of it) at the Grandstand. Also they ask the taxpayer to subsidise the races and make accommodations for the event. The events outside the racing are an incentive to those not into racing to keep them on side. 

It feels like we're being asked to endure TT week this year without any attempt at making it less shit. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The Bastard said:

It's odd. For a year, they had a grasp of what made an event great, and some big names made it over. Then we're back to cheesy 1970s tribute bands in the Villa, funfair on the prom and silence at the paddock like it's 20 years ago. Makes you weep.

Who is “they” in this instance?

Plus the point that they've spent about the last 5-6 years focussing all of the entertainment at the grandstand and now they've decided nah and just binned it off. It's almost like they haven't got a clue and are just bumbling about doing whatever they fancy on the day. Actually, it's not almost like that, it's exactly like that. And not just limited to the TT either.

Edited by reptar
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, The Bastard said:

It's a shame. 1886 put in so much effort, and you still got rat-people sitting on the prom wall, taking advantage of 1886's money and effort whilst contributing nothing.

Worst offenders were the occupants of the bank building that had people watching from the roof, which got some commentary from the artists on stage. Clearly they were in a position to pay for their tickets. Suggs even joked about sending someone out with a collecting tin.

It's classic selfish short-term thinking - by not shelling out for tickets, they have sunk the festival for future years, and it won't be as good again. I don't think they're intelligent enough to realise it though, they just think that somehow they got the better of "the man" by listening for for nothing.

Simple. Don’t stick a music festival in a built up area where people are freely promenading. More fool him. What else was he expecting. People to close their friggin ears and eyes. Give over. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Declan said:

But they are responsible for the VIlla and the entertainment (or lack of it) at the Grandstand. Also they ask the taxpayer to subsidise the races and make accommodations for the event. The events outside the racing are an incentive to those not into racing to keep them on side. 

It feels like we're being asked to endure TT week this year without any attempt at making it less shit. 

In years gone by the trade off for the inconvenience for the locals was the entertainment: Now they don’t even care about that. That’s why general good will is waning. You can’t get to work, the schools are closed, the roads are busy and .. nothing else. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Declan said:

5 hours ago, reptar said:

Plus the point that they've spent about the last 5-6 years focussing all of the entertainment at the grandstand and now they've decided nah and just binned it off. It's almost like they haven't got a clue and are just bumbling about doing whatever they fancy on the day. Actually, it's not almost like that, it's exactly like that. And not just limited to the TT either.

It’s been pointed out that the grandstand entertainment related to issues with competitors being kept awake into the night.

I agree that the Villa entertainment is rubbish as far as big names are concerned but it’s a small venue and unsuitable for huge budget acts.

1886 took the financial risk of their events and Bushy’s theirs. 

7 hours ago, reptar said:

When you say binned off entertainment at grandstand , are you just referring to no live music at the brewery area (which it never used to have?) or has everything else been removed and not announced yet?

Edited by Manxman1234

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

It’s been pointed out that the grandstand entertainment related to issues with competitors being kept awake into the night.

I agree that the Villa entertainment is rubbish as far as big names are concerned but it’s a small venue and unsuitable for huge budget acts.

1886 took the financial risk of their events and Bushy’s theirs. 

The music finished at 11 pm so not sure why they’re complaining about being kept awake 

22 hours ago, manxchester said:

Yeah, I’m completely indifferent about the TT but that last line is rubbish. I’d say the one thing more than anything that puts people off is the cost of getting here, especially if its a family trip. I know plenty of people that would come more regularly if it was cheaper, not one person has said they’ll start coming once the TT stops.

How much cheaper does it have to be?

The IOMSPCO are about £30 for a single last time I looked out of TT and school holidays.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

How much cheaper does it have to be?

The IOMSPCO are about £30 for a single last time I looked out of TT and school holidays.

I’d say you’d have to be looking at about £200 max return to come over in a car to make most families consider it when you take into account how cheap holidays in the sun are now. Tbh it’s a catch 22 anyway because if the island filled up with tourists like the Lake District does it would lose all its charm.

Anyway, tell me more about these thousands of people who are put of coming here because of a fairly insignificant (in the grand scheme of things in the uk, obv not to competitors etc) motorbike time trial race?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, manxchester said:

I’d say you’d have to be looking at about £200 max return to come over in a car to make most families consider it when you take into account how cheap holidays in the sun are now. Tbh it’s a catch 22 anyway because if the island filled up with tourists like the Lake District does it would lose all its charm.

Anyway, tell me more about these thousands of people who are put of coming here because of a fairly insignificant (in the grand scheme of things in the uk, obv not to competitors etc) motorbike time trial race?

When I mention to people that I lived a big proportion of my life on the island most say either:-

• Where is that? And once described to them they say ---- "Is that the place where they have a race that lots of people are killed?"
  • And/ or If they know where the island is they say   ---- "Is that the place where they have a race that lots of people are killed?"

I do a lot of walking in the Dales now and when sitting in a nice warm pub in front of a fire eating a bit of Yorkshire pub grub (Gods own Food) people ask where I am from.

See above, they say they would not consider a walking Holiday on the island, even when I tell them it is beautiful/ good walks,  due to the way they think the island is -  The TT- mad bikers- deaths.

Flame away

• Haha 1