TT 2023

0bserver

3 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

When I mention to people that I lived a big proportion of my life on the island most say either:-

• Where is that? And once described to them they say ---- "Is that the place where they have a race that lots of people are killed?"
  • And/ or If they know where the island is they say   ---- "Is that the place where they have a race that lots of people are killed?"

I do a lot of walking in the Dales now and when sitting in a nice warm pub in front of a fire eating a bit of Yorkshire pub grub (Gods own Food) people ask where I am from.

See above, they say they would not consider a walking Holiday on the island, even when I tell them it is beautiful/ good walks,  due to the way they think the island is -  The TT- mad bikers- deaths.

Flame away

Fair enough, we’ve obviously had different experiences. Most people I speak to about it remember coming here on holiday when they were much younger or don’t really know anything about it, I am very unsociable though so no doubt you speak to many more people than me! None of my family or friends have ever mentioned not coming here because of the TT though. 

To be fair to the government (for once), their advertising does promote it as being much more than the TT, how many people see the campaigns is another matter of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

The music finished at 11 pm so not sure why they’re complaining about being kept awake 

Never raced have you? The music stopping is not the end of the disturbance. The paddock is a work area.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

By you.

No, by the competitors and reported in the press, ages ago!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

When I mention to people that I lived a big proportion of my life on the island most say either:-

• Where is that? And once described to them they say ---- "Is that the place where they have a race that lots of people are killed?"
  • And/ or If they know where the island is they say   ---- "Is that the place where they have a race that lots of people are killed?"

I do a lot of walking in the Dales now and when sitting in a nice warm pub in front of a fire eating a bit of Yorkshire pub grub (Gods own Food) people ask where I am from.

See above, they say they would not consider a walking Holiday on the island, even when I tell them it is beautiful/ good walks,  due to the way they think the island is -  The TT- mad bikers- deaths.

Flame away

Well no one I’ve mentioned IOM to in places all,over the world has even mentioned deaths in the TT, they always say how they would love to come for races etc so I think you’re making it up like lots of your anti Iom posts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Well no one I’ve mentioned IOM to in places all,over the world has even mentioned deaths in the TT, they always say how they would love to come for races etc so I think you’re making it up like lots of your anti Iom posts.

Whenever I’ve ever mentioned the IoM, no one has ever mentioned the TT. 
it ain’t as big as you’d like to make out it is. It’s just old men in sheds playing bikes. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Flame away

Have you considered joining yorkshiredalesforums.com

Pleeeeasse🙏 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Generally the bands want paying for their time, not just on stage but the whole kaboodle. So they want paying while they’re on the plane here, while they’re sitting in the nice rooms in the Sefton, and when they’re on the plane home. That costs money, and that means high ticket prices.

Primal Scream tickets last year were £55. I saw them across a few years ago on a comp ticket but the face value was £40. The place was half full. Nobody is going to pay £55 to see Primal Scream. But they will probably sit on the prom for a bit and listen in.

Fair play to 1886 for trying, but it was always a big ask charging those prices. 

I’m more disappointed about the paddock entertainment. She Drew The Gun was really good. But I suppose they’re more of a niche draw.

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

By you.

On 3/31/2023 at 6:02 PM, Max Power said:

I have just read a number of FB posts regarding the entertainment, it appears that there were a lot of complaints from teams and riders about the noise and aftermath of the music around the paddock last year!

Sorry. I meant reported on here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gizo said:

Whenever I’ve ever mentioned the IoM, no one has ever mentioned the TT. 
it ain’t as big as you’d like to make out it is. It’s just old men in sheds playing bikes. 

I kind of not surprised by this in the kind of circles I imagine you move in.

Also I bet when abroad you're too busy telling the locals the shortcomings of their tourist offering to hear anything they're saying.

4 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Flame away

It's nice of you to be so concerned about our tourist industry, but I think we can probably manage without a handful of dull, ignorant Yorkshire men whose idea of a good time is re-enacting an episode of last of the summer wine while discussing their bigoted views of a place they've never been.

They probably be too tight to pay for their whippet to go in kennels while they visited and the wind would blow their flat caps off. They'd spent the entire trip being miserable and whinging about the price of everything and how the food was different anyway.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It's nice of you to be so concerned about our tourist industry, but I think we can probably manage without a handful of dull, ignorant Yorkshire men whose idea of a good time is re-enacting an episode of last of the summer wine while discussing their bigoted views of a place they've never been.

They probably be too tight to pay for their whippet to go in kennels while they visited and the wind would blow their flat caps off. They'd spent the entire trip being miserable and whinging about the price of everything and how the food was different anyway.

Nah then. Wil av a less of thee stereo typin then Yorkshire folk

image.png

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

they say they would not consider a walking Holiday on the island, even when I tell them it is beautiful/ good walks,  due to the way they think the island is -  The TT- mad bikers- deaths.

I call absolute bollocks on that.

• Like 13
  • Sad 1