TT 2023

0bserver

18 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I kind of not surprised by this in the kind of circles I imagine you move in.

Also I bet when abroad you're too busy telling the locals the shortcomings of their tourist offering to hear anything they're saying.

Nope. It’s just that the TT isn’t on any radar apart from old men in the Isle of Man. Having just returned from Majorca where they have over a million cycling tourists a year and we’re picking at a few thousand bucket list tourists all the while the TrUe FaNs of the TT are all in their 70’s. 
sport tourism is the future it just doesn’t include the TT. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Gizo said:

Nope. It’s just that the TT isn’t on any radar apart from old men in the Isle of Man. Having just returned from Majorca where they have over a million cycling tourists a year and we’re picking at a few thousand bucket list tourists all the while the TrUe FaNs of the TT are all in their 70’s. 

Hey look.

A load of people Much younger than 70 are here enjoying the island and the TT links.

777093EC-7D2B-412E-9475-036954FA0A0A.jpeg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gizo said:

Whenever I’ve ever mentioned the IoM, no one has ever mentioned the TT. 
it ain’t as big as you’d like to make out it is. It’s just old men in sheds playing bikes. 

I don’t know who the hell you are talking to?

It is massively popular on YouTube etc for people in their 20s and 30s.

It is nearly always mentioned by people I meet all over the world, and only this week by a bloke in London on the phone who wants to come with his mates. I have never met him, but from his teams profile pic I would say late 20’s to early 30’s

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Gizo said:

Kind of makes me wonder why you bothered coming back 

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2023 at 11:05 PM, Ringy Rose said:

Generally the bands want paying for their time, not just on stage but the whole kaboodle. So they want paying while they’re on the plane here, while they’re sitting in the nice rooms in the Sefton, and when they’re on the plane home. That costs money, and that means high ticket prices.

Primal Scream tickets last year were £55. I saw them across a few years ago on a comp ticket but the face value was £40. The place was half full. Nobody is going to pay £55 to see Primal Scream. But they will probably sit on the prom for a bit and listen in.

Fair play to 1886 for trying, but it was always a big ask charging those prices. 

I’m more disappointed about the paddock entertainment. She Drew The Gun was really good. But I suppose they’re more of a niche draw.

Well said, 1886 were greedy on the pricing and they lost money purely because of it........

Good

18 minutes ago, chris4652009 said:

Well said, 1886 were greedy on the pricing and they lost money purely because of it........

Good

What a crock of shit.

Even if every night had sold out they would have just about broken even.

I guess you have no idea what costs were involved?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chris4652009 said:

Good

The prices didn't strike me as particularly high by UK standards - they were roughly in the range you'd pay for an indoor gig in the UK and the venue only had a similar (or less) capacity.  But it was only serving a small potential customer base and was highly concentrated in time and it never looked like it would break even.  If you look back on discussions here a year ago or so this was assumed to be the case and the whole thing was seen to be a rich man's indulgence.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, chris4652009 said:

Well said, 1886 were greedy on the pricing and they lost money purely because of it

More complicated than that, and that isn’t what I said.

1886 had high overheads so they had to charge high prices, but people aren’t going to pay those prices so the whole thing falls down.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

This is a problem we face on the island throughout the year. Small venues don’t justify big names financially.

There’s half a chance at TT time but prices won’t be any cheaper than what you’re going to pay at a UK gig, in fact the costs of putting anything on are much higher.

I don’t think 1886 charged too much at all, we just have the attitude that things should be cheaper here, it’s quite the opposite!

• Like 2