TT 2023

0bserver

The NPM reports that the Leftenant Guvonor and his wife are volunteering to marshal at this years TT, and they have done their online training. Where it is often reported of Marshal shortage, with racing/practice being touch and go, doesn’t it reflect badly on our politicos, who really should be volunteering their services, marshalling or other duties. The Leftenant Guvonor has admirably got involved in island life, perhaps putting others to shame. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 2112 said:

The NPM reports that the Leftenant Guvonor and his wife are volunteering to marshal at this years TT, and they have done their online training. Where it is often reported of Marshal shortage, with racing/practice being touch and go, doesn’t it reflect badly on our politicos, who really should be volunteering their services, marshalling or other duties. The Leftenant Guvonor has admirably got involved in island life, perhaps putting others to shame. 

That's good news. We are going to be very short this year IMO...my bet is the Senior planned for the Saturday might not get enough marshals to go ahead.

Inflation is going to stop a lot of the older marshals from even coming this year.

Last year we struggled as it was, never seen so many novice marshals begged to get out.

8 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

That's good news. We are going to be very short this year IMO...my bet is the Senior planned for the Saturday might not get enough marshals to go ahead.

Inflation is going to stop a lot of the older marshals from even coming this year.

Last year we struggled as it was, never seen so many novice marshals begged to get out.

I wonder if available marshalls was considered when the dfe moved the dates?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Some of them do.

27 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

None of the marshals were asked about it though were they?

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect the directors of the TTMA, all of whom here voted into their positions by the membership, are experienced marshals (including the Chief sector Marshal) and have access to all of the data of who has signed up for years, can contribute to the decision on behalf of the marshals adequately. The biggest issue would have been restrictions on travel post covid - but there isn’t any. 

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Some?

Should be all of them, including MLCs. They are paid handsomely, they should be setting an example to people. 

Should they also all volunteer as a special constable, first responder, St John’s Ambulance, etc etc- or just the TT. If the latter, why? 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

or maybe some or all politicos are ashamed of the TT and don't want to be associated with it. I'm darned sure one of my MHK's does not like the TT. Furthermore, the CM and the rest, except obviously Little Bobby Onchan, keep their heads well below the parapet whilst the TT is on and you never hear them console or make statements regarding the loss of life at each event.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Gizo said:

or maybe some or all politicos are ashamed of the TT and don't want to be associated with it. I'm darned sure one of my MHK's does not like the TT. Furthermore, the CM and the rest, except obviously Little Bobby Onchan, keep their heads well below the parapet whilst the TT is on and you never hear them console or make statements regarding the loss of life at each event.

If any of them spoke to the press and commented they would be accused of using a tragedy to get in the public eye. But they don’t comment and you get the statement above. There’s no way a politician can look good either way with this situation.   

46 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect the directors of the TTMA, all of whom here voted into their positions by the membership, are experienced marshals (including the Chief sector Marshal) and have access to all of the data of who has signed up for years, can contribute to the decision on behalf of the marshals adequately. The biggest issue would have been restrictions on travel post covid - but there isn’t any. 

Should they also all volunteer as a special constable, first responder, St John’s Ambulance, etc etc- or just the TT. If the latter, why? 

Bet you've never marshalled have you.

2 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

If any of them spoke to the press and commented they would be accused of using a tragedy to get in the public eye. But they don’t comment and you get the statement above. There’s no way a politician can look good either way with this situation.   

They could support the event like 90 percent of locals do?

6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Bet you've never marshalled have you.

On and off since 1997 - only missed years leading up to 2012 when I was deployed on operations (was in the military for 16 years). I miss the early morning practices; first marshalled at Greeba Bridge and latterly at Brandish however I was working off Island last year and missed the TT. Hopefully will be able to sign up this year work permitting. Oh, and I was a director of the TTMA (until I had to resign when my work took me off island). Why do you ask?