TT 2023

0bserver

4 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Not even with the campsites?

6 hours ago, John Wright said:

There will always be people who come for the whole fortnight. I know some who come in car, van or with bikes, stay a few days, fly home and return for senior race weekend, before sailing home.

The new schedule allows for two weekends of racing.

Dont forget, from April 2023 peak ferry capacity is increased by 50%. 

6 hours ago, Kopek said:

Do we have the bed capacity for everyone to be at the same time?

If the ferry capacity does increase by 50% then I don't think we will have enough bed space, including campsites. The age groups attending are definitely getting older and will probably be less inclined (or even capable) of staying in campsites in tents (unless staying in in mobile homes/campervans), so more B&B/hotel accommodation will be required.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, quilp said:

Yet again Manx Radio has failed to work out that links to FoI  responses stop working after a very short time, what you have to do with a Report on their site is upload it to the website you are operating from like this:

Response.pdf

The story actually appeared on Gef over a week ago, though whether they'd actually seen the Report or just been told what to say by DfE I don't know.  You'll notice that despite the Consultation finishing on 2 July last year, they only got round to compiling the Report in June 2022, presumably having just found the wastepaper basket they put them in.

Of course there were very few responses in total because no one knew about it.  They summarise these as follows:

A public consultation was launched on 14 June 2021 and ran until 2 July 2021. The consultation
received a total of 37 responses, broken down as follows:
 IOM Residents – 19
 Non IOM residents – 18
 Responses submitted by individual – 36
 Responses submitted by a business – 1

Responses from IOM Residents which were:
 Supportive of the proposed changes – 3
 Not supportive of the proposed changes – 10
 Responses commenting on factors not part of this consultation – 8
 Responses from non-IOM Residents which were:
 Supportive of the proposed changes – 2
 Not supportive of the proposed changes – 0
 Responses commenting on factors not part of this consultation – 14

As you'd expect "not part of this consultation" often means "things we don't want to hear", especially when they came from locals.  But there are some interesting comments on both sides and little enthusiasm for the changes.

All the responses are given in full, theoretically anonymised, but as usual they've left in enough to so you can work out who some of them are.  For instance the business are presumably Manx Independent Carriers, who are furious at losing yet another day's business.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Duplicate words
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yet again Manx Radio has failed to work out that links to FoI  responses stop working after a very short time, what you have to do with a Report on their site is upload it to the website you are operating from like this:

Response.pdf 942.29 kB · 1 download

The story actually appeared on Gef over a week ago, though whether they'd actually seen the Report or just been told what to say by DfE I don't know.  You'll notice that despite the Consultation finishing on 2 July last year, they only got round to compiling the Report in June 2022, presumably having just found the wastepaper basket they put them in.

Of course there were very few responses in total because no one knew about it.  They summarise these as follows:

A public consultation was launched on 14 June 2021 and ran until 2 July 2021. The consultation
received a total of 37 responses, broken down as follows:
 IOM Residents – 19
 Non IOM residents – 18
 Responses submitted by individual – 36
 Responses submitted by a business – 1

Responses from IOM Residents which were:
 Supportive of the proposed changes – 3
 Not supportive of the proposed changes – 10
 Responses commenting on factors not part of this consultation – 8
 Responses from non-IOM Residents which were:
 Supportive of the proposed changes – 2
 Not supportive of the proposed changes – 0
 Responses commenting on factors not part of this consultation – 14

As you'd expect "not part of this consultation" often means "things we don't want to hear", especially when they came from locals.  But there are some interesting comments on both sides and little enthusiasm for the changes.

All the responses are given in full, theoretically anonymised, but as usual they've left in enough to so you can work out who some of them are.  For instance the business are presumably Manx Independent Carriers for instance, who are furious at losing yet another day's business.

It's interesting that the highly paid motorsport team come up with this stuff and it takes the GMP to point out the many flaws in their work. 

Just an observation.

Does not matter how many consultations are held or how flawed or not they are this new plan will happen because the ones in charge have said so.  How many consultations over the years, and there have been many, have influenced the proposed plan of anything….none I would suspect.   This consultation strategy is a load of bollocks done to try and convince the GP that their opinions matter there is not the slightest appetite to take any notice of them at all it is the biggest smoke and mirrors job ever the defence when things go belly up…..well  the public were consulted as if it was the public’s fault.     As I have said the biggest con trick and load of bollocks going.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 4:47 PM, Andy Onchan said:

If the ferry capacity does increase by 50% then I don't think we will have enough bed space, including campsites. The age groups attending are definitely getting older and will probably be less inclined (or even capable) of staying in campsites in tents (unless staying in in mobile homes/campervans), so more B&B/hotel accommodation will be required.

This is the crux of the matter, the reality is that outside of the TT, we have no real tourism offering to allow the growth of the industry! We have c.6k bedspaces plus homestay and camping. 

• Like 2

Just now, Max Power said:

This is the crux of the matter, the reality is that outside of the TT, we have no real tourism offering to allow the growth of the industry! We have c.6k bedspaces plus homestay and camping. 

Why do we need to grow the industry? It's a low pay industry and not conducive to a sustainable, high wages economy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Why do we need to grow the industry? It's a low pay industry and not conducive to a sustainable, high wages economy. 

Because it creates an inflow of money into the economy and actually benefits local people by maintaining facilities for their use, creates an employment opportunity as well as a part time income for many. At one time all of those big houses around lower Douglas were guest houses, they provided an additional income for many which boosted the economy.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Yeah, and it's only 2 weeks a year. If it was all summer I would believe it but in any business 2 weeks is only 1/26 of a year, so is it really that critical? One restaurant owner told me he loved it. It enabled the family to have a holiday one a year. Yes, beneficial, but critical?

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah, and it's only 2 weeks a year. If it was all summer I would believe it but in any business 2 weeks is only 1/26 of a year, so is it really that critical? One restaurant owner told me he loved it. It enabled the family to have a holiday one a year. Yes, beneficial, but critical?

One restaurant owner, now multiply that to take in hotel owners, all cafes and restaurants, bars, shops etc etc, must be a lot of big holidays being paid for? That restaurant owner wouldn't go on holiday then, if no TT? 

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

A couple of small business owners I know used the TT period, and to a lesser extent MGP, to prop up their business the rest of the year.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The TT is two weeks of the year, yes. The additional bed nights are taken up by camping and homestay. However, for the rest of the year we need to exploited the current air travel disruption by providing other attractions, such as MGP, S100, parish walk, end to end, car shows, bike shows, cultural activities, festivals, etc. But all of these people require accommodation. If played correctly, it can be a productive industry provided they don't over price themselves. 

Even the price of petrol is a tourist attraction at the moment. People want to travel, but don't want to risk going abroad. 

• Like 4