TT 2023

0bserver

Investment in the event is the key. I know this is pie-in-the-sky, but I think the event, and the IOM motorsports culture in general, needs a Nurburgring-style loop with proper circuit design, something that was discussed in the past. While the loop isn't being raced on, it's pay-for-play, like the Nurburg.

Expensive, but would make the event far safer and would open up motorsports tourism, and a world of sports events that would use a proper circuit loop. The island would be raking it in.  

4 hours ago, littlebushy said:

Seems everyone on here has been a marshal for at least 30 years. 2 things spring to mind:

1. There will be no shortage of marshals at this years TT.

2. Manx forums is going to be quiet during TT

Or alternatively there aren't many marshals, but those that are, are gobby bastards and all on MF.

I'm cynical enough to believe that shortage of marshals will never be an issue because if there aren't enough, the number required will be quietly redefined down.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Or alternatively there aren't many marshals, but those that are, are gobby bastards and all on MF.

I'm cynical enough to believe that shortage of marshals will never be an issue because if there aren't enough, the number required will be quietly redefined down.

Number of marshals we have is n.

The formula for the number we need is

(n/2-5)x2+9

Bit like number of guitars needed to make one happy is n+1, where n is the number currently owned. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wrighty said:

I’ve been here for almost 20, and in that time TT’s future has seemed to become less secure. Age profile of fans and racers, Marshals, Insurance, lack of tolerance of the inevitable deaths and injuries…

What hasn’t changed in my time here is the stuck in history local fans who believe it will go on for ever and no changes are required to try to secure its future. 

I’d give it 5 years max. It feels like since covid there are parts of government actively out to sabotage the event. Obviously it’s too much hassle to put an event on now. Just like it’s too much hassle to run an airport, or too much hassle to get your house registered for homestay, or set up a campsite, or to do anything else for our gilded public sector. Add to that armies of miserable bastards who don’t want Grandstand live music, or any form of fun surrounding the event and you can safely say already that it’s doomed.

I agree with the ITV4 presenter too in that the event has its days numbered as a spectator event too. Unless you like watching people getting beheaded or de-limbed at 150 mph live on camera. And when this has gone we can all sit round and wonder why there’s even less revenue flooding through the leaking bucket that is government finances and even less reasons to come to this desolate public sector paradise where the overwhelming majority now get paid for doing absolutely fuck all but throwing spanners into the works and wrecking things for everyone else in some weird form of quantum economics that only seems to apply in the IOM. 

Edited by BriT
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Number of marshals we have is n.

The formula for the number we need is

(n/2-5)x2+9

Bit like number of guitars needed to make one happy is n+1, where n is the number currently owned. 

(n/2-5)x2+9 simplifies to n-1

n-1...means the racing doesn't start 🙂

1 minute ago, BriT said:

I’d give it 5 years max. It feels like since covid there are parts of government actively out to sabotage the event.

The only "sabotage" (IMHO) is screwing the event for every penny in the name of Govt revenue and marketing it solely for the MTV generation who have the attention span and interest of a gnat. These will never be long term supporters and fans and as such will contribute to any demise.

It's a typical short-term grab for the cash with no thought as to what damage it may be doing to the event's long term future, because those who are doing it don't care...they'll be gone with their Govt pensions or having used it as a career leg-up which some are reputedly doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The only "sabotage" (IMHO) is screwing the event for every penny in the name of Govt revenue and marketing it solely for the MTV generation who have the attention span and interest of a gnat. These will never be long term supporters and fans and as such will contribute to any demise.

No it’s gone past that. The police aren’t interested in policing it, nobody in government is interested in the overtime to manage it. Manx Care don’t want the job of providing costly hospital cover for it. They could be on holiday in Tenerife instead. This island is now only being run for the CS and what they’d prefer not for anyone else. And what they’d prefer is exactly the same money for doing less and more time off because we don’t have to generate revenue; it comes from the magic money tree and if we don’t have the TT we can just create more magic money to compensate for it. 

Edited by BriT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

(n/2-5)x2+9 simplifies to n-1

n-1...means the racing doesn't start 🙂

Your maths is correct, your understanding isn't.  If we have n marshals, they'll say we only actually need n-1.  So racing goes on regardless, which is what Roger suggested, and I complicated for (weak) comedic effect.

3 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Your maths is correct, your understanding isn't.  If we have n marshals, they'll say we only actually need n-1.  So racing goes on regardless, which is what Roger suggested, and I complicated for (weak) comedic effect.

That is usually done by ensuring that extra assistance can be made quickly available, and even then depending on the location and it's likelihood of there being a serious incident. Hence all the shuffling of marshals before commencement at times.