TT 2023

0bserver

14 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Were Honda paid £100,000 of tax payers money to facilitate this blokes dangerously perilous hobby whilst closing the roads so people can witness the inevitable.

Not a great comparison it was a collision with tragic consequences and not a Government sponsored soap box derby.

For clarity I don’t know Nathan Harrison but he must be pretty tired having to thank every tax payer he meets for funding his motorcycle fetish. 

You have moaned and twitched curtains about Teachers being a lazy waste of money - just take a minute to absorb the fact that there are people who think paying a massive multi national corporation £100k so a local slightly above average rider can get some headlines in a team with a tubby 50 year old has been - is the pinnacle of sporting endeavour.

Value for Tax payers money.

Greatest show on earth.

What makes you say the government give Honda 100k?

I would be interested to see the evidence or a source.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well I like the event as do most people I know, brings a lot of people to the island for spectacular performances.

You will always get some people like you highlighting the negatives 

Terrible reply.

I wasn’t asking if you liked it I was asking do you think that spending £100,000 of tax payers money on an average rider is a good Government decision.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Terrible reply.

I wasn’t asking if you liked it I was asking do you think that spending £100,000 of tax payers money on an average rider is a good Government decision.

Wtf are you talking about?

Post some proof of this claim or STFU

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Max Power said:

No matter what the sport, or event, professional participants require payment, wherever said event is being held. That payment is an investment in the event and is hardly money down the drain, quite the opposite in fact!

Surely if that were the case Max then it would be better to have spread that sum amongst several up and coming riders rather than on one up and coming local? Eggs in one basket, sort of thing?

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Surely if that were the case Max then it would be better to have spread that sum amongst several up and coming riders rather than on one up and coming local? Eggs in one basket, sort of thing?

I'd find it hard to believe that Honda would require £100k from IoMG just to allow Nathan to ride the TT? They may be paid to bring the whole team here, I don't know any details of payments though.

Racing is part of Honda's marketing strategy and I know they foot most of the costs. Bringing the team here for a fortnight would be very expensive indeed so I would expect them to be looking for help with the costs. 

It's not unusual for riders in teams to have to raise cash to pay their way, Nathan is no exception and if any cash has 'bought' him a ride, it will be he and his family who have raised it, as they have done in the past. He's riding for Honda in BSB and the NW200 also, £100k wouldn't cover the costs of a season's racing at this level anyway.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

I think former racer, TM, TT aficionado and Chief TT Apologist , and from my limited knowledge of him all round good bloke @Max Power has confirmed my comment therefore I need not stfu.

No he hasn’t.  You are just posting made up bollocks

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ativa said:

No he hasn’t.  You are just posting made up bollocks

@Max Power how much has the TT Development fund contributed to riders competing for example N Harrison Honda, D Kneen BMW, C Cummins (can’t remember which factory team) I understand the investment comment but I thought they knew the risks and would do it for free - we have to pay them to come and pay the team to put a Manx pilot on the bike -brown envelope territory and undeniable 

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

I'd find it hard to believe that Honda would require £100k from IoMG just to allow Nathan to ride the TT? They may be paid to bring the whole team here, I don't know any details of payments though.

Racing is part of Honda's marketing strategy and I know they foot most of the costs. Bringing the team here for a fortnight would be very expensive indeed so I would expect them to be looking for help with the costs. 

It's not unusual for riders in teams to have to raise cash to pay their way, Nathan is no exception and if any cash has 'bought' him a ride, it will be he and his family who have raised it, as they have done in the past. He's riding for Honda in BSB and the NW200 also, £100k wouldn't cover the costs of a season's racing at this level anyway.

Max, you know that the IOM Gov has always paid Start Money Payments to the top riders.

My Grandfather raced here up to the late 50s, the tales he told of decapitations, and limb destroying crashes were legendary , even back then, at much lower speeds.

He would hold a glued audience around our Christmas Dinner Table describing the decapitations, gore and screaming riders dying in pain. The young males in our family, me and my brothers,  thought of him as a hero to do that - ride in the TT despite already having risked his life in WW2 (He would never talk about that)

It was a thing then, the 50's, Start Money Payments   (With tiny amounts to be fair at that time) but I know it still continues; It is a thing now.

One "big name" I know of in the late 80s early 90s was an HRC rider . He got a "lot" of money to ride from IOMG on top of being a HRC contracted rider. (Honda Racing Corp for the uninitiated) -  he used to stay at a house on the  island which was owned by good friends of my late parents.

Max, you have been around long enough to know that Start Money Payments  are a fact, despite it never being mentioned much - if ever?

ETA Would a FOI question give up the money paid out as start money or would it be commercially sensitive? 🙂 🙂 ..........................................

The Start Money Payment thing to me is the biggest problem with the races.

The IOMG pay riders to come here and risk their lives no matter what place they come in the races - The amount paid depends on your "Draw" - shocking but true.

The money the HRC Rider I know of as a fact was paid, was over £35k just to turn up (1980's rates remember).

Most will not know him but Max will, he was a big name on the short circuit races at the time and a bit of a "Playboy" along the lines of the image Barry Sheen promoted in the 70's - A "good looking guy2 having lots of sex with a blonde - good looking girlfriend, Much like myself now but I digress 🙂 ..................

The point of my post is 

• Should a government of a small country be paying money to competitors just to turn up and compete in a race that they have a good chance of being killed in?
  • On the demands of a tourist policy to fill more bed spaces and improve the islands finances generally?

Flame away I have more 🙂

Edited by Blade Runner
question
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

@Max Power how much has the TT Development fund contributed to riders competing for example N Harrison Honda, D Kneen BMW, C Cummins (can’t remember which factory team) I understand the investment comment but I thought they knew the risks and would do it for free - we have to pay them to come and pay the team to put a Manx pilot on the bike -brown envelope territory and undeniable 

Again.  Any evidence of IOMG paying Honda 100k to give Nathan a ride? 

2 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

A better question is “As an investor will I receive any ROI” 

Nope.

The question is can you actually back up your post that IOMG paid Honda 100k for Nathan to ride.

You can’t, therefore your posts have no credibility

• Like 3
  • Haha 1