TT 2023

0bserver

9 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Nope.

The question is can you actually back up your post that IOMG paid Honda 100k for Nathan to ride.

You can’t, therefore your posts have no credibility

Submit  a FOI request about the sums paid to riders/ teams to turn up for the TT any year, then revert.

ETA They would not have paid that much to someone who is called Nathan from IOM.

The big bucks go to well known "NAMES" who they think will bring in the plebs to watch

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Submit  a FOI request about the sums paid to riders/ teams to turn up for the TT any year, then revert.

It’s not me making outlandish and unsubstantiated claims.

Plus.  I couldn’t really care less.  It’s a great event and the highlight of my year on the island.  If it costs a few quid then it is what it is.

I would rather see the money spent there than on the Trains, MER, Laxey Wheel, villa or gaitey.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Ativa said:

You have said that.

You still haven’t actually posted anything to back up the nonsense you are spouting.

I’ll post as an adult now, it has long been known that the Government pay teams and riders with a certain high profile to come and ride at the TT. Personally I have a problem with this Start Money as it is called is essentially brown envelopes for Bray Hill. The desperation to keep the charade going is clear when the paid for competitors are mainly under achieving in every other area of motor bike racing and the IOM is their main meal ticket - Hickman is back of the field in National not World super bike racing- apologists please take a second to think about that - he isn’t very good in the overall sphere of your sport 

• Like 3

I've often wondered how much it costs to put some of those big team rigs on the boat and how do they recoup the costs? That's an awful lot of t shirts and hoodie sales needed if they don't get in the prize money....

43 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

That's because he doesn't have any. He made it up like 99% of the crap he posts on here. There is no integrity or honesty to any of his posts.

@Max Power is there anything I have posted that can be disproved or disputed - I’m calling you out on this as your silence is deafening as probably the main knowledge on this ?

Edited by Mr Helmut Fromage

49 minutes ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

I’ll post as an adult now, it has long been known that the Government pay teams and riders with a certain high profile to come and ride at the TT. Personally I have a problem with this Start Money as it is called is essentially brown envelopes for Bray Hill. The desperation to keep the charade going is clear when the paid for competitors are mainly under achieving in every other area of motor bike racing and the IOM is their main meal ticket - Hickman is back of the field in National not World super bike racing- apologists please take a second to think about that - he isn’t very good in the overall sphere of your sport 

You raise very good points,  but sadly some take issue with what you are saying. The acid test will be this years TT, any repeat of last years fatalities, especially on resurfaced roads, may lead to a clamour for the races to be scrapped, or may lead to the insurance company taking a stand. 

3 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Max, you know that the IOM Gov has always paid Start Money Payments to the top riders.

My Grandfather raced here up to the late 50s, the tales he told of decapitations, and limb destroying crashes were legendary , even back then, at much lower speeds.

He would hold a glued audience around our Christmas Dinner Table describing the decapitations, gore and screaming riders dying in pain. The young males in our family, me and my brothers,  thought of him as a hero to do that - ride in the TT despite already having risked his life in WW2 (He would never talk about that)

It was a thing then, the 50's, Start Money Payments   (With tiny amounts to be fair at that time) but I know it still continues; It is a thing now.

One "big name" I know of in the late 80s early 90s was an HRC rider . He got a "lot" of money to ride from IOMG on top of being a HRC contracted rider. (Honda Racing Corp for the uninitiated) -  he used to stay at a house on the  island which was owned by good friends of my late parents.

Max, you have been around long enough to know that Start Money Payments  are a fact, despite it never being mentioned much - if ever?

ETA Would a FOI question give up the money paid out as start money or would it be commercially sensitive? 🙂 🙂 ..........................................

The Start Money Payment thing to me is the biggest problem with the races.

The IOMG pay riders to come here and risk their lives no matter what place they come in the races - The amount paid depends on your "Draw" - shocking but true.

The money the HRC Rider I know of as a fact was paid, was over £35k just to turn up (1980's rates remember).

Most will not know him but Max will, he was a big name on the short circuit races at the time and a bit of a "Playboy" along the lines of the image Barry Sheen promoted in the 70's - A "good looking guy2 having lots of sex with a blonde - good looking girlfriend, Much like myself now but I digress 🙂 ..................

The point of my post is 

• Should a government of a small country be paying money to competitors just to turn up and compete in a race that they have a good chance of being killed in?
  • On the demands of a tourist policy to fill more bed spaces and improve the islands finances generally?

Flame away I have more 🙂

Of course I know that riders have always received start money, as they would anywhere. I even got some myself! It's the amount that's important. In the 80's the ACU were running the TT and it is they who will have negotiated payments. Star riders command big sums, I think the rider you are talking about, although he won a TT, wouldn't command £35k?  

If you are saying that Nathan has been paid £100k to ride a Honda, or Honda have been paid that amount to let him ride, I'd think it's a case of people's imagination gone wild.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

@Max Power is there anything I have posted that can be disproved or disputed - I’m calling you out on this as your silence is deafening as probably the main knowledge on this ?

I think I've answered that? Although you and Gizo do tend to put your own personal spin on anything which is said in relation to the TT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3